Stereo project is finally complete.

It's showtime!

1466225_10201241611021998_1045956810_n.jpg

1470026_10201241611302005_1417749094_n.jpg

That pic is kinda squashed for some reason. It's not as shallow as it looks.
Their regular Carbon C12 with the magnet out front is great for shallow stuff even though it's not a "shallow mount" speaker. It's a full blown sub just with an inverted motor.

I don't know about the current crop of Illusion Audio products, but I tested the original Illusion Audio subs back in the early to mid 90s for Car Audio & Electronics magazine and was very impressed!!! They were great speakers!!! The pair of 8s in my Yukon sounded as good as a pair of 12s from many other manufacturers!!! I still have that set of 8-inch drivers and plan to use them in my Camaro. I also still have some of their components as well as a pair of horns and 2 or 3 12-inch subs!!! Great stuff indeed!!! Their inverted motor on the subs and midbass drivers made for a shallow mounting depth but maintained excursion and sound quality especially with the rigid CF cone!

Sweet, the first gen stuff was truly awesome! Glad to hear it is still good stuff. Who owns the company now? I don't recognize the Camarillo, CA address. They used to be based out of AZ.

Orca Design took them over. Their under the same umbrella now as Focal, Mosconi and a few others here in the U.S. now.

Ok....all BS aside this is likely the best sub on the market right now....period.
It does everything the Ultimo does but if you wanna do something stupid it has enough bottom end to rival anything I've ever heard. I can't wait to get some play time over the next couple of weeks and get it broken in.

Plus it fits like my build was done with this sub in mind. I'll let the (bad) pic do the talking on that.

1452232_10201249629262449_53065793_n.jpg

Orca Design took them over. Their under the same umbrella now as Focal, Mosconi and a few others here in the U.S. now.

Wow, that's cool I know Kimon very well from my days at Car Stereo Review and Car Audio & Electronics magazines. He is a very sharp guy and SQ is his main goal!!! Good to hear that they have brought Illusion into their fold, I was worried that it was one of those other companies that buys up a name and sells product based on the name and what it once was! Kimon will keep it going well, and turning out good products!!!

So... you going to be free in about a year to help me put a system together? I got out of this way too long ago to know what is good anymore. lol

That makes sense on the picture, it's been so long I'm starting to loose touch with what is out there. Found the website and their pics, actually looks fairly deep then. Small motor too, is it perhaps a NEO magnet instead of the standard motor?

Awesome on the review, kinda shocked how much better than the ultimo it is, thats a pretty killer sub to take down. Looks like Bing is installing a few of them too, and he doesn't install crappy gear.

Can't wait to see the MECA trophies start rolling in.

Yes, it's a neo magnet.
Bing was the first to really try these...after his reviews and a few I listened to I just had to give one a try. I was literally shocked when I fired it up last night. They have been waiting list only until the last week so I was finally able to get my hands on one.

I don't know about trophies but I'm damned sure gonna give it a shot. It'll be a good learning experience for sure.

It really says something about the Illusion sub when all the sudden the car audio forums for sale areas are full of Ultimo's and Esotar2's.

I noticed that. Took a stroll through DIYMA after having not been on there in a long while and seen all the FS adds and Illusion discussion.

I can't imagine replacing my current sub but I sure would like to get back to trying out different gear again. Actually put in a pre order for the new Stereo Integrity BM MKiV to give it a try. Might have to look into the Illusion too, my current box is a little too small, but that is half the fun, building things.

Learning experience is always great, and you'll probably have a blast competing in the lanes and meeting all sorts of new people. Pretty sure I'd bet some money on coming home with trophies too.

I never did like the crappy battery terminals I used...there were too many wires jammed into one spot for my tastes.

1464632_10201278453583039_716046514_n.jpg

So I ordered some Scosche Status S clamps and XS Power bus bars and moved some things around today. I had to swap the bus bars and didn't want the red bar on the negative side so I sprayed them with PlastiDip to fix that then I had to extend some factory wiring...in general it was a pain in the ass but this is what I wound up with.

1461717_10201278455303082_128698198_n.jpg

Back