Water to Air Intercooler Pictures

Anyone running an air to water IC in like a street truck/puller? Looking for a way to maybe bring the EGTs down some just didnt know what it would compare like vs a stock IC on the street.

You could run a bigger system and a heat exchanger with fans, maybe run anti-freeze through it, but it wont be as effiecent as straight water to air, as stated guys will go through 60#'s of ice no problem during a run. So for sure you need a heat exhanger and electric fans. The GMC syclone/typhoon ran a water to air system, I dont know what other vehicles have but Im sure there are others.

Maybe someone else will chime in on what kind of tempatures you'll see, but if you want to run in on the street and get the benefits of a air to water, I'd snake a water to air intercooler after your factory A-A unit, and then only just fill it up with ice and run the pump at the track.

Yea i didnt even plan on running anything through it while driving on the street. I was just curious if there was anyone out there doing it. Not sure if there would be room for both intercoolers but that would be a good idea.

I think the problem with plating the stock air-air is going to be having the water flow thru the fins. There is a big difference in the IC just sitting in a tank of water and having your IC core being able to have cold water constantly flowing thru it..... Lets say you found a way to turn the stock IC so it was laying flat in a tank and had water flowing from the top to the bottom with the help of a bilge pump and then have the ice sit ontop of the core with sprayers pointing down at the ice . The only problem with this setup is that it would take up major room....44" long, 24" wide and at least
12" deep or more.

That is the only possible way I can at all see the stock unit working and honestly it could be more efficent than an after market air-water ic but I have heard there is a point that the air can get to cold....don't know the total truth behind that.

Ryan

Heres what happens when air is to cold and puts out the fire on a duramax

So how cold is too cold??? i asume that it let it dump raw fuel into the exahust?? On some water to air ics i have seen a good layer of frost on em.

Lynn

thats what happened. I don't know how cold is too cold but that truck made 950hp with a 3.0 charger. They said on the dyno the cold pipe had water dripping off from the condensation.

thats what happened. I don't know how cold is too cold but that truck made 950hp with a 3.0 charger. They said on the dyno the cold pipe had water dripping off from the condensation.

Well the air had to be warmer than 32 degrees than right? If it wasn't holding ice on the pipe? Honestly, I don't think you can get the air too cold. Assuming ice and water is present in the tank, that makes the water roughly 32 degrees. So the air can't get any colder than 32 degrees. If that puts the fire out, these trucks wouldn't run in cold temps.....Just my thoughts.

Well the air had to be warmer than 32 degrees than right? If it wasn't holding ice on the pipe? Honestly, I don't think you can get the air too cold. Assuming ice and water is present in the tank, that makes the water roughly 32 degrees. So the air can't get any colder than 32 degrees. If that puts the fire out, these trucks wouldn't run in cold temps.....Just my thoughts.

Yea it was so cold it put the fire out they said so they adjusted it now that it comes on when the turbo lits now

And the truck is for ILL goes by screen name jimdmax on here

Yea it was so cold it put the fire out they said so they adjusted it now that it comes on when the turbo lits now

And the truck is for ILL goes by screen name jimdmax on here

I am by no means a rocket scientest but honestly, I can't imagine you could could possible do what happened in that video with just cold air. I also would think that if this really happened then it would be happening all the time up here in the "Great White North" with winter temps way way below zero for a few weeks in the winter each year. Is it possible that the truck just couldn't spool and all that fuel being dumped into the engine didn't burn and when it finally did lite it ignited what was still in the exaust system??? just don't make much sense to me.

Ryan

thats what they said on dieselplace is what did it. See how it popped a couple times before that it did that so there was so much fuel in there to cause it i think. But also think most trucks around you have grid heaters and such right? Could be wrong but just my thoughts

I am by no means a rocket scientest but honestly, I can't imagine you could could possible do what happened in that video with just cold air. I also would think that if this really happened then it would be happening all the time up here in the "Great White North" with winter temps way way below zero for a few weeks in the winter each year. Is it possible that the truck just couldn't spool and all that fuel being dumped into the engine didn't burn and when it finally did lite it ignited what was still in the exaust system??? just don't make much sense to me.

Ryan

I'm a part time rocket scientist...and it seems like there's more to it than just cold air...I can think of a couple things...

:lolly: The cold air had nothing to do with that......run my rig in the -40 and colder and never see anything like that. Colder the better...like being on the juice all the time.

I'm a part time rocket scientist...and it seems like there's more to it than just cold air...I can think of a couple things...

What to share you idea's then??? I don't think cold air had anything to do with that.

My truck also runs way better in the cold....once everything warms up anyway!

We've built dual-purpose kits for competition/daily drivers using air/water intercoolers that feed a charge-air cooler in the OEM location and a seperate air/air heat exchanger for the A/W IC coolant... also air/water kits that eliminate the CAC and feed the head directly (they also do well on the street with an air/air coolant exchanger).

Both designs produce excellent results, validated through datalogging & event payouts.
Whether 2nd or 3rd Gen Ram, passenger-side battery deletes are required.

We've built dual-purpose kits for competition/daily drivers using air/water intercoolers that feed a charge-air cooler in the OEM location and a seperate air/air heat exchanger for the A/W IC coolant... also air/water kits that eliminate the CAC and feed the head directly (they also do well on the street with an air/air coolant exchanger).

Both designs produce excellent results, validated through datalogging & event payouts.
Whether 2nd or 3rd Gen Ram, passenger-side battery deletes are required.

do you have any pictures of your kits mounted on a 3rd gen? I'm interested in your kit but could find any pictures on your website

mike did my system pm and send u some ruff pics still working on geting high res ones for his web site my good camra is mia at the moment

X2 I am looking at the same kit.... Seems to be priced right. Should work good for a 2.6 truck. Buying that kit looks like it will get ya the pump for free.. Individual parts will cost ya about 450.00, that kit is only 400.00.

Lynn

X3 but thinking of just buying a cooler from them and building my own setup. House is running one of their smaller coolers that was on the truck when he bought it, and it seems to be holding up good. Previous owner had 10 hooks on it, he has 6 and no complaints yet.

Back