12V towing setup

bluestreak04

Hey guys, I really dont want to sound like a nooby but I am not so up to date on 12V stuff. I am in the process of building a Fummins daily driver/tow rig so that I can keep the miles off of my twin turbo common rail.
I have a 160HP P-Pump 12V that origionated in a Fed Ex truck. I am not looking to make big numbers, but I would like to bring the power up to a stock-ish common rail hp number. It is going to be my primary daily driver once I complete the truck.
I plan to replace the DV's with 181's, run stock injectors that I got from a friend with a 215HP motor, and run a #6 fuel plate. I am asking for advice because I dont want to put together a mix matched combination, that is bad on fuel, or runs hot.
I havent decided what to about the turbo just yet, but was thinking of a sub 60mm S300. Thanks for your time, please dont bash me for not knowing about 12V's!

Love,
David

"Love" LOL WTF?!?!?!?

Just wanted to see if anyone around here had a sense of humor, haha!

BlackCloudDodge, I dont want to go as far as twins on this truck, but thanks for reminding me about the GOV springs.

maybe a 62mm would do..could go with 90hp injects turn the fuel screw an bump the timing up.

I would put a 14 cm housing on the hx 35. 100 plate blocked waste gate and adjust the plate to 40 psi boost. With the 3 k spring kit. And it should run great with the 215s. Bump the timing to 16 and afc modes if you need them to get to 40 psi. There's my 2 cents worth. Should be 350 or so rwhp and 800 plus rwt.

I would put a 14 cm housing on the hx 35. 100 plate blocked waste gate and adjust the plate to 40 psi boost. With the 3 k spring kit. And it should run great with the 215s. Bump the timing to 16 and afc modes if you need them to get to 40 psi. There's my 2 cents worth. Should be 350 or so rwhp and 800 plus rwt.

Thanks for some valid input. That sounds good to me. I dont have a turbo for the motor as of right now so I am still open on that portion of the build.

I was using DDP 90hp Injectors,#10 Fuel Plate,550hp South Bend Clutch,Ats exhaust Manifold blocked the waste gate with 3K springs an turned the fuel screw an bumped the timing an towed just fine an was a dd..how much money are you wanting to spend on it?

I hate to say that money is no issue, but I dont really have a total cost of build in mind. That being said, I dont need this truck to be fast, I need something that tows good, and gets good fuel mileage. I got the injectors for free, planned on buying a fuel plate, DV's, and a turbo. That is all the mods I have in mind for this truck.

Last edited:
Keep the stock 215's, Go with a 3k kit (not as touchy as 4k) The 6 plate is a good choice. and go ahead and get that 60mm s300 you mentioned. that will be a great turbo for what you want.

keep you 131's if your just bumping up to a 181. Better seal, and just so ya know you can leave the copper washers out from under the DV's

Do you think that I will still make decent power if I ran the 131's with the 215 injectors if I run the #6 plate? I have never pulled a DV out, so not sure what copper washers you are refering to?? What does leaving them out do?

A P7100 does not have copper washers under the DVs. Some have steel shims that can be left out but normally you would put them back in with the replacement DVs. As far as a good single turbo, a S300G 62/65/12 is pretty reasonably priced and will work well with mild power upgrades.

Last edited:
A P7100 does not have copper washers under the DVs. Some have steel shims that can be left out but normally you would put them back in with the replacement DVs.

Actually there are two different types of copper seals for delivery valves depending on the seat style. They must be re-installed with the constant pressure delivery valve. I have also seen the steel seals come out in pieces, I always place both the copper and steel seals carefully in the garbage.

A P7100 does not have copper washers under the DVs. Some have steel shims that can be left out but normally you would put them back in with the replacement DVs. As far as a good single turbo, a S300G 62/65/12 is pretty reasonably priced and will work well with mild power upgrades.

Then explain what these copper-colored disintegrating rings are under my DV's? They for sure were not magnetic

Most of number 6 was gone when I removed them :kick:

twins are the only way to tow with a 12v IMO

You're opinion is wrong :stab:

Basically, I have the setup the OP is looking for....3K kit, 181's, 90hp sticks and a 58ET/65/12 with a Helix 2 gave me 378/998 and the pyro never goes above 1325*....honest numbers too. Truck has 375K miles with only a new set of bearings at 350K.

I'm not a fan of 62mm S300's for a towing 12v...they just don't seem to move enough air at lower RPM to keep them cool, and if you tighten up the exhaust, it surges and runs the same temps anyway. Go with a 60mm or less, and stick with a small turbine, IMHO.

Keep in mind though, I tow a 9K lb empty trailer, and any load is 10K lbs+, so it's heavy...

Chris

You're opinion is wrong :stab:

Basically, I have the setup the OP is looking for....3K kit, 181's, 90hp sticks and a 58ET/65/12 with a Helix 2 gave me 378/998 and the pyro never goes above 1325*....honest numbers too. Truck has 375K miles with only a new set of bearings at 350K.

I'm not a fan of 62mm S300's for a towing 12v...they just don't seem to move enough air at lower RPM to keep them cool, and if you tighten up the exhaust, it surges and runs the same temps anyway. Go with a 60mm or less, and stick with a small turbine, IMHO.

Keep in mind though, I tow a 9K lb empty trailer, and any load is 10K lbs+, so it's heavy...

Chris

Glad to see someone with a setup similar to what I have in mind! I was hoping I didn't have some strange setup dreamed up. What fuel plate, and timing are you running? I suspect my power will be much lessbecause I am just going to be using stock injectors from a 215 motor. Also, what pump is your setup based on? Thanks!

For a cheap, but good way to go on the turbo, I'd say go with the he351cw off the 04.5'-06' stock cr truck. It should work just as good as a 60mm or smaller s300. $.02 It will cool the hp you're looking for and spool better than the hx35.

Back