12V towing setup

Glad to see someone with a setup similar to what I have in mind! I was hoping I didn't have some strange setup dreamed up. What fuel plate, and timing are you running? I suspect my power will be much lessbecause I am just going to be using stock injectors from a 215 motor. Also, what pump is your setup based on? Thanks!

No plate, and 17* timing

Chris

You're opinion is wrong :stab:

Basically, I have the setup the OP is looking for....3K kit, 181's, 90hp sticks and a 58ET/65/12 with a Helix 2 gave me 378/998 and the pyro never goes above 1325*....honest numbers too. Truck has 375K miles with only a new set of bearings at 350K.

I'm not a fan of 62mm S300's for a towing 12v...they just don't seem to move enough air at lower RPM to keep them cool, and if you tighten up the exhaust, it surges and runs the same temps anyway. Go with a 60mm or less, and stick with a small turbine, IMHO.

Keep in mind though, I tow a 9K lb empty trailer, and any load is 10K lbs+, so it's heavy...

Chris

good info! the 62's are good little running around/hot rodding turbos, but I never liked towing with mine, and I live at sea level!!!

your'e right, with his mild power goals, the 57 sounds like a winner :cool:

I've just got a power jones that can't be satisfied with sub-400 numbers :eek:

good info! the 62's are good little running around/hot rodding turbos, but I never liked towing with mine, and I live at sea level!!!

That is why I roll an 850HP twin turbo common rail

Thanks for all the info and help guys. I am trying to learn this 12V stuff quickly. My next question is. . . should I run the free superduty intercooler I scored(my truck is a 1991 F350) or run water/meth and keep things simple?

Here is a pic of my Fummins project, just so you know this is a REAL project, and not a non-existent dream thread
19_imagejpeg_2.jpg

Sorry for the blurry cell phone pic

Last edited:
When it comes to the turbo i wouldn't bother with the hx35 it gets too far out of its efficiency range too quickly. A turbo around the size of 62/64/12 would be way more efficient and keep the egts down a lot farther when towing. Is the truck going to be a manual or auto?

When it comes to the turbo i wouldn't bother with the hx35 it gets too far out of its efficiency range too quickly. A turbo around the size of 62/64/12 would be way more efficient and keep the egts down a lot farther when towing. Is the truck going to be a manual or auto?

I surely am not going to run a turbo with the specs you just mentioned. I don't even need a compressor over 60mm for the power level I am trying to achieve. I will be using an NV4500 for a transmission, I forgot to mention this, sorry. thank you for your help though, I appreciate it.

And BTW, those "57's" IE, Super B, S300G, etc don't really measure 57mm...All of them I've measured are a touch over 54mm....

That's why I'm now a big fan of this 58ET wheel!!
Chris

Really....62/64??/12?? And you've towed how heavy for how long with one of those?

You can argue if you want, but on a 12v that is towing more than a lawnmower trailer, a 62mm S300 has too many issues to recommend. You have to keep ahead of the heat on a 12v that is towing, and the 62 wheel just can't do that. It want's to try to cool the temps down once you get up on top the charger, and a 12v just can't move the air to let it do that.

Maybe with a cam, or a ported head, but stock head and cam, stick with something sub-60mm for towing. A 24v is a completely different animal.

And I think I can squeeze another 50-75hp out of this setup, so I'm not sure why a 62mm would even be needed under 500hp?

Chris

i blame the 65mm turbine...... JUNK!!!!

could not be happier with this 63ETT/68/.85 non gated

lights a touch slower then my HX35, and manages heat VERY well... WAY better then my 62/65/12 ever did..... those 2 turbo's are not even comparable to eachother.

the 68 wheel flows a lot better for sure... not just the diameter but the 10 blade turbine breathes so much easier

I'm having a 63/68 built atm

the 68 wheel flows a lot better for sure... not just the diameter but the 10 blade turbine breathes so much easier

I'm having a 63/68 built atm

If they had the 68 in stock when I bought the 58ET compressor, I would have one....that's the next step on the other truck that's still running a Super B...58ET/68/12:D

Chris

Do you think I will be safe to run my setup with no intercooler? I dont mind spraying it, but I dont want it to eat up tons of water just to run cool either. . .

Just keep in mind whatever you choose for turbo or turbos your cooling system can only take it for so long pulling a grade. There is some good advise these guys are giving you. Just take your time and think it over.

Just keep in mind whatever you choose for turbo or turbos your cooling system can only take it for so long pulling a grade. There is some good advise these guys are giving you. Just take your time and think it over.

Thanks for the reminder Brad....I've towed very heavy up to 450hp and temps under 105*, and never had a cooling problem....but the highest elevation I'm ever at is about 5K'.....go above 450hp and the cooling can be a problem.

Chris

i could peg my water temp gauge grossing about 26k going up a big hill. and i was still using a hx35. i had very good luck towing with a 35 for more than a few years.

And BTW, those "57's" IE, Super B, S300G, etc don't really measure 57mm...All of them I've measured are a touch over 54mm....

That's why I'm now a big fan of this 58ET wheel!!
Chris

Care to share any more about this 58ET wheel? Is it a factory borg unit? Does it use the standard s300 152mm backplate? :pop:

Really....62/64??/12?? And you've towed how heavy for how long with one of those?

You can argue if you want, but on a 12v that is towing more than a lawnmower trailer, a 62mm S300 has too many issues to recommend. You have to keep ahead of the heat on a 12v that is towing, and the 62 wheel just can't do that. It want's to try to cool the temps down once you get up on top the charger, and a 12v just can't move the air to let it do that.

Maybe with a cam, or a ported head, but stock head and cam, stick with something sub-60mm for towing. A 24v is a completely different animal.

And I think I can squeeze another 50-75hp out of this setup, so I'm not sure why a 62mm would even be needed under 500hp?

Chris
Well either i had more fuel in the truck then i remember for when it towed horestrailers or my truck just runs hotter then most egt wise... It hated the hx35, and 40 but worked with the 62 so I don't know

Back