14mm ve pump

fordnut

Im looking to just buy a 14mm head and have it put on my pump then max flowed. Who makes a good reliable head and how many cc can these things flow. Its going to be a drag truck. Looking for 600hp in a 4500lbs truck. Thanks for the input.

I recently read that Scheid may offer a complete unit. KTA found on 1stgen.org apparently had some custom built units for a while (Might be sold out). And then there's Rocken Tech. They sell a 14mm H/R as well as a custom 4mm cam-plate.

Dunno anything about the Scheid unit. KTA's were apparently fairly reliable. The Rocken Tech's, maybe not so much and their optional 4mm cam-plate may not fit right to start with. It's been my observation that there's a 50/50% chance of the 14mm seizing in short order, or making it thus far with 4,000 and 5,000 miles or more. Of those that died early, engine rpm over 4000 might have been common. BIG volume fuel supply apparently a must.

DON'T quote me but 350 ~ 400ish (+/-) cc of fuel maybe. No matter 12mm or 14mm, flow starts rolling off at about 3000 or so engine rpm (+/-).

If you're not stuck on the VE, 600HP is apparently VERY easy with a P-pump.

I look at the stock/OEM 12mm H/R as being like a restrictor-plate engine. The challenge is to get all you can from that single 12mm H/R using that commonly run with a similar P-pumped 12v. I believe 500hp (fuel only) to the ground can be done, and perhaps soon with the rate camshaft stuff is evolving for example. My dyno-plots are getting within 25hp or better (if you believe that kind of mess) with a little W/M. Else, My 6400lb clubcab ran a 12.81 quarter last year, and has recently run the eighth in 7.9 (at 250ish' elevation) with a NON lock-up converter.

Good luck. :)

Last edited:
Good info BC, as always.

IIRC, JQ's 14mm did over 500cc's. I'll fact check that.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Thanks for the input guys I was hoping it was a better pump than what I have heard. I guess ppump is in order.

fuel supply is the key, as said by many, many people have a very healthy fuel supply and are running 14mm's daily. probably shouldnt be concerned with failure if your going that route though, its gona happend at some point

My pump was benched at 370cc at 2500rpm....since then I added the 5x25 injectors, and since flow rates change depending on the injectors being used to test the pump, I really have no idea what it actually flows.....I don't even know what size injectors Scheid used for testing, all they told me was "big." As far as reliability, I think most of the problems came from inadequate fuel supply and/or trying to spin em too high. VE's don't like rpm. Mine fuels past 3,000rpm, but then cuts down pretty hard. As far as power, 600 is very doable. Stomp made 644 on fuel and has made 680 on water/meth, and 899 on nitrous. I made 972hp.

Scheid sells complete pumps for $2,400, and they have internal mods to the delivery valves and governor. Or you can go the do-it-yourself route and buy a 14mm from Rocken Tech.

Either way, nitrous helps a bunch on fuel limited trucks like VE's :cheer: *nx*

:poke:When comparing p-pumps to ve's keep in mind(and i say this just to rib Jason) that at the last battle of the first gens a p-pumped first gen made more fuel only hp than the two top ve pumped trucks fuel only numbers combined.:poke:.
:hehe:

That was when they first benched it. It makes much more now.

SMH @ DP magazine link. Old news.

Considering he hasn't done anything to the pump since then, I would think its still a pretty relevant number. He may have changed injectors but the pumps original flow numbers are still the same.

It also stand to reason that since this pump was going into a magazine truck, they used whatever they could to bump the number up some. Possibly even bigger injectors than what JQ has now.

Try spending less time head-shaking and more time trying to provide a more relevant link to back up your claim. $.02

:poke:When comparing p-pumps to ve's keep in mind(and i say this just to rib Jason) that at the last battle of the first gens a p-pumped first gen made more fuel only hp than the two top ve pumped trucks fuel only numbers combined.:poke:.
:hehe:

That's like saying you were able to beat up some kids in wheelchairs Ron :hehe:

Hey, I was within 300 hp of your big bad ball bearing turbo'd, incorrectly valved, 13mm pump engine with my little single VE and some nitrous...I feel pretty good :poke:

It also stand to reason that since this pump was going into a magazine truck, they used whatever they could to bump the number up some. Possibly even bigger injectors than what JQ has now.

Actually, inflating numbers does little for us. It doesn't help our credibility, and we'll get busted by the internet police if we do it anyhow. When it does happen, it's usually from an outside source (like the owner of the truck) giving us false information. Which doesn't happen often, but does happen.

Stomp's pump flows something like 366cc at 2,000rpm, so the 370cc number I felt was pretty accurate.

Last edited:
Either way, nitrous helps a bunch on fuel limited trucks like VE's

Not to be the "internet police" but i find this statement misleading. N20 is an oxidizer. It burns the fuel the pump puts out... Properly tuned forced induction would do the same thing...

VE's generally make more power per cc than p-pumps because of dynamic timing.

You guys in the 700hp+ area, are you running dynamic timing?

Last edited:
Actually, inflating numbers does little for us. It doesn't help our credibility, and we'll get busted by the internet police if we do it anyhow. When it does happen, it's usually from an outside source (like the owner of the truck) giving us false information. Which doesn't happen often, but does happen.

Stomp's pump flows something like 366cc at 2,000rpm, so the 370cc number I felt was pretty accurate.

Oh yeah, I don't think the Magazine would inflate the numbers, I was meaning that more towards whoever made/tuned and flowed the pump. While Scheid hardly has anything to prove, it still stands to reason that a pump going on a truck featured in a national magazine would get nothing but the best.

Not to be the "internet police" but i find this statement misleading. N20 is an oxidizer. It burns the fuel the pump puts out... Properly tuned forced induction would do the same thing...

VE's generally make more power per cc than p-pumps because of dynamic timing.

You guys in the 700hp+ area, are you running dynamic timing?

I disagree. I don't think you can light a turbo big enough by 3,000rpm to put the same amount of oxygen in the cylinder as you can with a big nitrous kit. My timing is locked at 27 deg.

Considering he hasn't done anything to the pump since then, I would think its still a pretty relevant number. He may have changed injectors but the pumps original flow numbers are still the same.

Try spending less time head-shaking and more time trying to provide a more relevant link to back up your claim. $.02

I, for some reason, thought he had made more. Maybe it was someone else. I just have a hard time believing that Block can slightly modify a box stock 12mm pump to over 300cc and the mighty 14/4 combo only does 375. Doesn't matter...I don't have a dog in the fight. Do you?

BTW, lose the attitude, douche. Nobody said anything to you, I just referenced a general disdain for antiquated magazine links.

You have to look at the rpm numbers the cc's are given at....also, I am not running a 14mm/4mm....its just a stock camplate.

You have to look at the rpm numbers the cc's are given at....also, I am not running a 14mm/4mm....its just a stock camplate.

Every pump that I have seen on a bench (VE or other wise) was rated at its peak flow, no matter the rpm. Same as a dyno number is peak HP, regardless of rpm.

Yeah but that dosnt mean squat if you say "hey my VE makes 370cc's" and then try to treat that as you would if you were building a 700HP P-pump truck, Jason is mearly saying with a VE it is more critical to aim to burn that fuel at the RPM designated peak CC's

the all fuel numbers are hard because like Jason said, packing 700HP worth of cool air into a cylinder at 3000rpm is not an easy thing to do. i agree, nitros may have a advamntage over even the best turbo setup.

KTA's dual feed VE setup is what we should be talking about, what if feeding 400PSI directly to the plunger through the shutoff solinoid is the answer? its not that a 14mm pump cant phisically push enough fuel through the DV's to fuel upwards of 3000prm, its more like the plunger is starved because of the limitations of the vane pump supply pressure

Back