2.6 Drivetrain Issues (pullers chime in)

How many of you 2.6 guys have broken ring and pinions this year? How many sets have you been through?

Broke a set last year. Time to step up and go open driveline.

How many people truly set them up according to spec. Doing the rolling resistance for the pinion and and get a pattern that is as good as factory?

How many people truly set them up according to spec. Doing the rolling resistance for the pinion and and get a pattern that is as good as factory?

I don't agree with setting them up to the factory spec for pulling. I actually haven't broken an ring an pinion yet. I was shelling off axle bolts at will, as well as blowing an ARB to bits.

I would like to do a load bolt, as well as another idea.

I don't agree with setting them up to the factory spec for pulling. I actually haven't broken an ring an pinion yet. I was shelling off axle bolts at will, as well as blowing an ARB to bits.

I would like to do a load bolt, as well as another idea.

So your saying you are smarter than the Dana engineers? Lol

Do you set them up with the gears set deeper for no backlash? Full teeth contact?

If so that's fine I just want to see out of all the gears broke, how were they set up. If a class is influenced by this thread subject then I just want to make sure it's based on intelligent and competent Info. I don't want some guy say he broke ten sets and come to find out he used the same shims it had before and didn't check anything. And no I'm no expert on settin up gears. It sucks in my opinion. It's a repetitive pain in the butt job.

So your saying you are smarter than the Dana engineers? Lol

Do you set them up with the gears set deeper for no backlash? Full teeth contact?

If so that's fine I just want to see out of all the gears broke, how were they set up. If a class is influenced by this thread subject then I just want to make sure it's based on intelligent and competent Info. I don't want some guy say he broke ten sets and come to find out he used the same shims it had before and didn't check anything. And no I'm no expert on settin up gears. It sucks in my opinion. It's a repetitive pain in the butt job.

Never said that, however they set them up for a 245HP truck to make it 500K miles. Not a 1000HP+ truck to go 300 ft at a time.

Some of the folks that have broken them were setting them up properly. I am sure there are some that have been broken because poor setup, or defective parts.

no reason to set them up to factory specs.

That's a Zstroken answer there. Lol tell me how you set yours up. Did you throw it together and hope it works?

In my opinion tight on the backlash is fine but pinion depth is very important to not having issues. The bearing preload I'm not sure on which is part of the reason I was asking what you guys do.

That's a Zstroken answer there. Lol tell me how you set yours up. Did you throw it together and hope it works?

In my opinion tight on the backlash is fine but pinion depth is very important to not having issues. The bearing preload I'm not sure on which is part of the reason I was asking what you guys do.

Yep! Bring yours over and for $250 I will set it up the way I like, $350 if you wanna watch, $450 if your gonna help! LOL

Yep! Bring yours over and for $250 I will set it up the way I like, $350 if you wanna watch, $450 if your gonna help! LOL

Yeah but I also have a brother that does this for a living and he works for free wether I watch or not. Lol. I broke a stock factory set up 3.55 gear that had 30-40 hooks, 3 broken Trans, 2 axles and 70k original miles. But to say 2.6 is too much for the R&P is not accurate in my case.

Last edited:
Yeah but I also have a brother that does this for a living and he works door free wether I watch or not. Lol. I broke a stock factory set up 3.55 gear that had 30-40 hooks, 3 broken Trans, 2 axles and 70k original miles. But to say 2.6 is too much for the R&S is not accurate in my case.

Breaking the trans on the high side of the Tcase? Which axles did you break? Think the R&P should support up to 1200HP+ and dual 35" tires?

The folks that are breaking them are the ones that are pushing the envelope of the HP. I would say I am not near the HP of those folks, so my statement may be wrong.

I think the type of tracks and how the sled is setup has a major role in drivetrain life just as much as horsepower. I got 15hooks out of a 5.13 last year setup up with the pinion as deep as you can go with .000 backlash. Second 5.13 set was set up the same with .004 backlash cause i was to lazy and didnt have much time to change it. It was pulled out at 15hooks and every tooth on ring gear and pinion gear was cracked. If the block would have held together on the last run the rearend wouldnt have.

The 2.6 class is now up there in horsepower were you can run some stronger gear sets that last longer. The question i would ask is how many are changing the gears before they even break.

Back