2003-2004 UDC Info

cj42

New England Texan
Hi Guys,
I figured I star a thread for the step child group of the 3 gen's. I'm hoping between us we can get some good info to help in programing. I plan on starting with S06_7 Revo program and go from there. Anyone starting toying with UDC?

I have had mine for a week and still have not started. I finally got my laptop updated and Sunday is the day to start playing. I wish we could start with one of the old Beta programs. 4.2 was awesome but extremely Smokey

I got my UDC dongle on wednesday. have been working with it since. so far so good. only problem i have so far is with raising RP in the 12-20% load area. for some reason it defalts to stock after a few minutes of driving. if anyone knows why this is please chime in. other than that issue it works well. not sure exactly where im at, but so far its an improvement from the best settings i had on the ssr without UDC.

Rail Pressure

I copied the sample TNTR #9 tune to my stock file and then smoothed out the rail pressure map.

My approach was as follows. I was always a fan of the Van Aaken C3.1 pressure box, which upped the rail pressure in the cruising / towing range and backed off the rail pressure ramp rate in the upper rpm range to OEM levels. For me, this also seemed to provided a bump in hand-calculated mileage too if my memory is still good. So this is what I attempted to duplicate.

Here is the stock TNTR #9 overlaid on my modified rail pressure map:

ModifiedTNTR9RailPressurevsstockTNTR9.jpg

Here is the modified map by itself:

ModifiedTNTR9RailPressure.jpg

Here is the 2D map with stock TNTR #9 comparison to show where I adjusted rail pressures:

ModifiedTNTR9RailPressurevsstockTNTR92Dmap.jpg

I took this tune out for a 20 mile test drive this afternoon. It feels smooth and off-idle through cruising rpm response is very crisp and smooth. No rattling anywhere. WOT hits 60 psi and 1000 degrees EGT. I'm going to tweak it some more as I mistakenly increased my idle to off-idle pressure a bit and when I have the cruise control on around 70-75 mph (2000-2200 rpm) it surges slightly.

I might also try closing the +44% load gap between the stock TNTR 9 map and my map as well as reduce the -44% load RP a hair. The +44% gap is 2000-3000 psi at most, which is about 40 HP and might be more beneficial for towing. The -44% load changes might help empty cruise surging.

I also need to get a new laptop so I can datalog with my Performax gauges.

Engine Load % ?

I have the ultragauge and I doesn't seem to be working correctly. Is anoyone with 2003-2004 using one? My shows engine load % every 10 seconds or so. So I have been using TP% but I don't think there as close as people think especially under light load condition's. Are there setting on the UG that you can tweak or change the increment time when or how it reads engine load?

I have the ultragauge and I doesn't seem to be working correctly. Is anoyone with 2003-2004 using one? My shows engine load % every 10 seconds or so. So I have been using TP% but I don't think there as close as people think especially under light load condition's. Are there setting on the UG that you can tweak or change the increment time when or how it reads engine load?

I have a build date 12/02 and my engine load% works like it should.

My GPS and engine load are 10% apart but varies greatly with terrain and conditions.

Mine reads correct too, or at least I think it does. estrada5.9 is correct, you can change to update rate in the menu somewhere. I never had to adjust mine though.

So is everyone getting 100% load on the earlys?

At cruise I have 9.02% load, 15.7% tp, 1536rpm, at 84 km/h.

My ultragauge doesn't work that good on eng load. Dropped refresh time down to.5 -sec still not showing it right.. UDC is working great. Pretty smooth just need more power on the top. Stil tweaking duration. Still no smoke even past sw9 Sample table

Latest Prg

I've been running this programs for a week. Not bad need a little more fuel up top. What are you guys running for timing in the 1400-1600 RPM @ 15-20% Eng load? What are you running at 1800-2000 RPM @ 15-25% Eng load?

Attachments

• v10_Timing.jpg
    v10_Timing.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 0
  • v10_rail.jpg
    v10_rail.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 0
Any early 03 guy's care to compare tunes?

My setup:
flux 3's
62/71/14 S480 87 turbine 1.10a/r
PCS controlled auto

I have one that I like a lot but would like to see what other folks have been working on.

What are you 03-04 guys running for timing at 0-6.3% load.

I noticed using AH64ID's calculator that it doesnt give any values for timing in that load range. And I find it odd to leave it stock because then I get a jump from +3 at 0-6.3% to -2 at 6.3-12.5%

Im more tempted to zero that entire range rather than have a 5 degree jump in timing. I've read the instructions of AH64ID's calculator and some posts regarding the calcs but I have a feeling I'm way off.

Does anyone have a shot of there calcs sheet on a tune that is working well.

I'm pretty close to going back to my old conservative tune and leaving it alone until smarty releases copy and paste ability or at least the ability to type a number in for F sakes.

As much as I love UDC, Smarty and appreciate what everyone has put into it after manually changing tunes a few times, going up and down on each box accross multiple sheets to try someone elses tune or copy from the calculator I've had enough, its barbaric (copy and paste existed on my first computer over 10 years ago) and I don't know if I want to waste 2 hours every time I try.

Back