2011 VW TDI DSG with Nav and apperance package

BigBadDodge

Looking to purchase a 2011 VW TDI DSG with Nav and apperance package. Anything I am missing? going to be a daily comuter about 3 hours round trip.

Thanks,

BBD

If you can afford to replace it in 2 years, go ahead. Otherwise.....run.

From what I see locally that is the point before the warranty runs out and it still has value. I dont see many over 2 years old that have held up well.

I know quite a few that have been on the road for over 2 years, but maybe he has a point, all I do know is with fuel prices they won't be losing their value as quickly now

the dsg can be expensive to maintain especially how many miles you will rack up driving that much

Get a manual unless you want to drag race. Or the if the wife can handle a nice tranny replacement in exchange for ease of driving. These trannys cost as much as a nice single disk tranny from Suncoast.

I have likely handled 400-600 VW's in the last 5 years. Most were not more than 3 years old,, 50% had less than 1000 miles. Believe me, my post has a reason.

I have likely handled 400-600 VW's

And VW has easily sold 15x that amount. Everything has a failure rate, otherwise there would be no need for mechanics or replacement parts.

The thing that really needs to be worried about is that $3500 DPF that will need to be replaced by 80,000miles.

And VW has easily sold 15x that amount. Everything has a failure rate, otherwise there would be no need for mechanics or replacement parts.

The thing that really needs to be worried about is that $3500 DPF that will need to be replaced by 80,000miles.

Ok, let me rephrase. 400-600 Of the 2000 or so sold in my area during that time span. I do auto body, at that time for a shop that had a contract with the only local VW dealer and we were the only VW certified shop in east TN. 20% of my work was warranty. The other 80% was collision. Seeing as many cars as I have, VW is on par with GM in terms of interior and mechanical robustness. In other words, junk. 80k an the motor mounts are shot, seats are wore, the damn rubber is worn off the steering wheel and other trim.

I belive you get free maintenance now for the first three years?

Maybe, cant remember the new warranty.

I have the dsg and I like it, but if I were to get another it would be the manual. You can not tune the dsg without problems and it drives me crazy that I can't throw rods out the side of this thing.

Thanks for the info guy's, I need the auto for the long daily drive in traffic and so the wife can drive it as well.

I just ordered it up this afternoon:

2011 Jetta Sedan, TDI, NAV, DSG, Apperance Package, Titanum Grey, Black interior.

They found one that should be at the port by the end of the month :)

BBD

Ok, let me rephrase. 400-600 Of the 2000 or so sold in my area during that time span.
A 20-30% failure rate is very good for new mass-consumer technology. Even modern desktop computers have a failure rate in that range.

Thanks for the info guy's, I need the auto for the long daily drive in traffic and so the wife can drive it as well.

I just ordered it up this afternoon:

2011 Jetta Sedan, TDI, NAV, DSG, Apperance Package, Titanum Grey, Black interior.

They found one that should be at the port by the end of the month :)

BBD
As someone who specializes in VW TDI's for a living, just simply maintain it and you shouldn't have any major issues. I have numerous customers with cars over 200Kmi and one over 400Kmi. If you don't maintain or care for any car or truck, it's going to fall apart.

I worked on a 97 dodge 12v a couple months ago with 112Kmi on it; leaked everywhere, rings were blown out, burnt 1qt oil every 200 miles, 1-4 syncros gone, rear diff carrier bearings gone, body rusted to hell, and over 1/2 turn of play in the steering. But is every dodge junk because this one didn't even make it to 120K, no way! It never ceases to amaze me how quickly people can kill vehicles.

My main advice is to get a tune from Malone Tuning and a dpf delete downpipe from Performance Diesel Engineering once your warranty is up. Too much expensive crap to go wrong there outside of warranty.

The more you can learn about your car, the more you will enjoy it. Join TDIClub and read up!

Last edited:
I am in good shape then as I really take care of my chit and I joined TDIClub a few weeks ago, I was reading there before I even placed the order, that helped me get what I want.

Thanks for the help info,

BBD

Ok, let me rephrase. 400-600 Of the 2000 or so sold in my area during that time span. I do auto body, at that time for a shop that had a contract with the only local VW dealer and we were the only VW certified shop in east TN. 20% of my work was warranty. The other 80% was collision. Seeing as many cars as I have, VW is on par with GM in terms of interior and mechanical robustness. In other words, junk. 80k an the motor mounts are shot, seats are wore, the damn rubber is worn off the steering wheel and other trim.

So, as a body mechanic you're making assumptions about the transmission based on your subjective opinion of the interior. Yeah, that makes perfect sense. :doh:

So, as a body mechanic you're making assumptions about the transmission based on your subjective opinion of the interior. Yeah, that makes perfect sense. :doh:

Well, I was in a decent mood. Exactly where in that statement did I say anything about the transmission?

How about you deal with 5000 cars in 5 years and tell me if you can't begin to judge quality from junk. How simple can I possibly make this.

An $80,000 audi with 20,000 miles is leave oil puddles, not one, not two, 8 out of 10 of the damn things. How about ever single one that comes in is leaking some fluid, how about every single one with 100k shakes your teeth out at idle because the gummy rubber mounts are shot, suspension bushings are gone, struts are gone, and you may have a chance of getting the wheels off without a sledge hammer if you remove them once a month. How about the VW dealership being busy around the clock with warranty work.

Maybe you should stop and consider what collision repair really is and what you think it is.

And to reply to your previous quote, that desk top was $800 not $28,000.

Last edited:
Picked it up last week runs great I am loving the comute
:)

264589_1995129912101_1059033437_2218226_1821187_n.jpg

BBD

Back