2015 ppl 2.6 rules

Went to a 2.6 hook last night with BoB. Very tight/gummy track that was a little rough in a couple spots. Half the class broke. Couple of trucks wadded up the whole driveline. Front end, rear end, tie rods, tcase.

That sucks... sorry if I missed what I'm asking. Josh, I know your a pretty strong runner in the 2.6 class. That being said what do you feel like is the right way to go? I don't disagree at all that the power some 2.6 trucks are making should be on ODL. Just like you said not too long ago if you wanted to run true 3.0 you have to travel pretty far to catch a hook most times, as PPL has about the only running of that class anymore. I just hope whatever happens will help the sport because it seems like we're not gaining any grounds with any organization except PPL. I still say it would be nice to have a good running diesel truck class in every organization in the country but seems like were running ourselves away every year.

If 2.6 is making the power some claim, they are where 3.0 was 3-4 years ago on ODL when they were starting to discover rockwell 106's weren't holding up and started running sqhd's in everything...

Therefore IMO, 2.6 needs to give up some HP, which isn't going to happen, or go full ODL, which I'm not a big fan of, but that's just being honest...

Yes the 2.6 are in the mid 1300 range now. I think also they should go at least open rear end. I can't keep ring and pinions in my truck for more than 7 passes. Yes there will still be some t-case breakage but no more than there already is.

Just my $.02 and I know it doesn't amount to a whole lot. There doesn't need to be two ODL DOT tire classes. It just doesn't make any sense at all. Just my opinion there should only be 3 truck classes. 2.5 should be street legal 2.5 bore no map ring enhance b's or Protrustion. 2.6-3.0 meet in the middle and combine with a good smooth bore charger. And I still feel like if supper stock was cut tire and unlimited single it would help there class out by the middle class having a easier time to jump up if they decided to. Once again not trying to step on anybody's balls just what comes to my mind.

Last edited:
Some of the top competitors in the ppl 2.6 class have said they are getting 25 plus hooks on their r&p so if your not getting a least half of that you have something wrong in your chassis setup end of story figure it out or pay someone to help you out. Stop trying to change rules BC you can't get your rear to stay together.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Some of the top competitors in the ppl 2.6 class have said they are getting 25 plus hooks on their r&p so if your not getting a least half of that you have something wrong in your chassis setup end of story figure it out or pay someone to help you out. Stop trying to change rules BC you can't get your rear to stay together.

Just wish the answer was clearer on what is the biggest cause or factor is. Really impressive that Rob is getting 25 out of his.

Yea I know it is he has no reason to lie about it. We had over 25 hooks on ours but have alot less power. The best way I can explain how to make your r&p last is pay a lot of attention to the trucks that are keeping them together study every hook they make . Talk to the right people and spend your money at the right places and you will get it figured out.

I always thought that flexing/bowing the frame was how to make a truck hook which it does hook hard but also breaks alot of parts when it loads and unloads at the end of the track. We redid the whole chassis mid season no more flex or broken parts and it hooks even harder but its smooth. Smooth is the key

Low rpm/wheel speed is always harder on drivetrain parts. If thats how you want to drive your truck you need to deal with it not make it everyone elses problem. Going open rear will not stop the breakage it will just move it to tcase and trans.

Low rpm/wheel speed is always harder on drivetrain parts. If thats how you want to drive your truck you need to deal with it not make it everyone elses problem. Going open rear will not stop the breakage it will just move it to tcase and trans.

Yeah if you're going to lug it you're going to break it. Doesn't matter what driveline.

I keep saying this to people it will move the breakage. To me I would rather fix r&p for 250 a pop versus a transfer case at 800-1000 range and the trans in the say price range. They need to change the turbo rule if anything bring the trucks down 200hp and the breakage would be less I think

Yeah if you're going to lug it you're going to break it. Doesn't matter what driveline.

I keep saying this to people it will move the breakage. To me I would rather fix r&p for 250 a pop versus a transfer case at 800-1000 range and the trans in the say price range. They need to change the turbo rule if anything bring the trucks down 200hp and the breakage would be less I think

Look at 3.0 and its ODL! take all the driveline failures out and it moves to the engines. We had 4 split blocks this year in our 3.0 class. Its never going to end. I even heard a few deckplate engines letting go this year as well

I'm wondering if people have considered that the rules other than those directly related to the engine are designed to limit HP. I do understand that there are not many people that are going to pull back the HP because they are breaking R&Ps. If folks are breaking all the time becuse they are making that much HP or their set-ups cause that I don't think the rules should be modified to help them out. I know people that have won points championships because they were the most consistant and reliable out there. There may be trucks that make more HP but if they can't show up and compete are they "better" trucks? I don't think they are.

On the opposite end of the spectrum from 2.6 trucks you have SS. Those trucks that are almost bullet proof and make a ton of HP but the rules limit how they apply the HP to the ground. They come out soft for almost 200' in some cases. They are the only class I know of that does that in all of pulling. I can't say that's right or wrong but the point is once you make a certain amount of HP you have to get it to the ground reliably.

Changing the rules just to get the highest HP trucks in the front of the pack takes away from the competition in my view. However, I am all in favor of the rules changing so that when the guys with most HP now start breaking catostrophically instead of just a R&P. That way trucks like mine that have a moderate amount of HP and are for the most part built to be reliable throughout the season can win. :)

Last edited:
This class has dissolved to what it is due to the fact of keeping the 2.6" name, if named after what was really being used it would be the 3.6" class.

This shows the root issue as simply as it can be put into an image;
100e18bb-cb06-4fac-a97a-a610a6d00987_zps507e64f3.jpg

Last edited:

And if they allow open rear you retain your right to keep a 1 ton rearend and continue to fix a r&p vs a transfer case.

Went to a 2.6 hook last night with BoB. Very tight/gummy track that was a little rough in a couple spots. Half the class broke. Couple of trucks wadded up the whole driveline. Front end, rear end, tie rods, tcase.

So who here thinks that if all the trucks in the above mentioned 2.6 class were ODL, that the 1/2 that broke their drivetrain would have instead all broke their blocks? LOL

I keep reading posts about how it will move the breakage from one point to another, yes you are removing the weakest link, but the probability of failure drops as well. The goal is that at some point the next weak link is stronger than the last and you find that happy medium where breakage is very unlikely and rare.

Consider a 1200 hp 2.6 truck, upgrading the NV4500 input shaft didn't cause the D80 stock axle shaft to fail, it wasn't strong enough for the power to begin with. The same applies with the block, if the entire driveline is upgraded, it doesn't cause the block to fail, you would just have to be develop more cylinder pressure than the block was capable of supporting.

Headstuds/fire rings < NV4500 stock input shaft < 1410 driveshaft yoke < D80 stock axle shaft < D80 R&P < 241 main shaft < NV4500 main shaft < block, you get the idea. Given the hp capable with the current 2.6 rules, drivetrain rules should allow the strength of the drivetrain to support the hp developed.

So who here thinks that if all the trucks in the above mentioned 2.6 class were ODL, that the 1/2 that broke their drivetrain would have instead all broke their blocks? LOL

My point was if you lug the trucks everything is going to break regaurdless of what driveline is under the truck

Give them ODL this year. Next year Turbo, deck plate, cut tires......ect class will disappear just like 3.0 is doing now.

Im with Jones95runner. Just leave it alone the way it is now. :doh:

But I do like the 3.0 guys being able to run cuts that would be a fun class. That way you get the appearance differences in the classes, like mentioned waaaaaayyyyy back in the first couple pages of this thread.

If you ask me it should be like this:

2.5- DOT tires, single wheels, bed stacks, no exposed weights, A2A intercooler

2.6- DOT Duals, hood stacks, hanging weights, air to water, MAYBE Rockwell rears. Maybe. but only if.....

3.0- cut tires, single turbo, factory body wheelbase and frame

SS- Cut tires, tube chassis, multi stage turbos

$.02 $.02

Last edited:
Back