2015 ppl 2.6 rules

7800 lbs and/or 24" hitch height would be worth a shot before changing to anything ODL related. Leave everything else alone. Its free and if its across the board, it shouldn't hurt anybody. I am surprised it doesn't get mentioned more often.

There has been many failures in bob even at 24in. at last nights event between 2.5 and 2.6 at least 5 trucks broke.

24in may help some but it's marginal and at current power level you get it to hook parts will break

I'm fine with giving it a shot, I still don't think it will fix the ring and pinion failures totally.

Was it my imagination or did I see a PPL ballot that had 2 options for this coming season in 2.6, 1. Open rear or 2. Full ODL? And nothing to keep it like it is.

That originated on Facebook and was not published by PPL, it seemingly came from a private party, however PPL is aware of it.

I keep saying this to people it will move the breakage. To me I would rather fix r&p for 250 a pop versus a transfer case at 800-1000 range and the trans in the say price range. They need to change the turbo rule if anything bring the trucks down 200hp and the breakage would be less I think

I don't agree, ring and pinion's breaking unloads the driveline and causes stresses and fractures other stuff, a rear end breaking is harder on driveshafts, t-cases, and front diffs...

Dot tires hook and unhook going down the track shock loading the driveline. Why not just go cut tires in all class. They hook smooth, consistent and dont shock load the driveline.

7800 lbs and/or 24" hitch height would be worth a shot before changing to anything ODL related. Leave everything else alone. Its free and if its across the board, it shouldn't hurt anybody. I am surprised it doesn't get mentioned more often.

If it is changed to 24" hitch height, guys will just extend it 4-6" further out the back to get the same weight transfer to the truck and chassis... It doesn't change a whole lot IMO.

If it is changed to 24" hitch height, guys will just extend it 4-6" further out the back to get the same weight transfer to the truck and chassis... It doesn't change a whole lot IMO.

That was already discussed. Moving the hitch back isn't going to help. If that helped at all guys would be doing it at 26” also. There's a reason the rule only had a measurement stating how far away from the rear it HAS to be not how far it can be.

You could also make everyone go to an auto tranny! Cuts the power down like some say it needs to and it saves on ring an pinions but idk what I'm doing. Makes for a good laugh!

If a weight change is made to save driveline breakage, my opinion is it needs to be a lot more than 200 lbs. With the current rules (i.e. gutted trucks) it is possible to hang over 3000 lbs out off the front end. Minimum to consider should be 500 lbs, I'd bet 1000 lbs less would make a noticeable difference.

Heck I saw a swing of about +-150 lbs from pull to pull just in scale accuracy. I don't take any extra weights with me, truck weighs the same all year but others would load up to get within 10 lbs when it read light.

In 2012 we built a new truck to run our local 2.8 class. The class allowed open rear end that year. We built the truck with a nv4500 we had and bought a 271 out of a daily driver part out truck. We were running a bushed s480 around 1100hp. More than likely not near the power the 2.6 guys today are making. We do have some good tracks around here but not all are like the northern tracks. Think we made 10 or so hooks where the truck stayed together then this happened

[ame="http://s859.photobucket.com/user/jones95runner/media/IMG_20130825_241417_178_zps27347ff7.jpg.html"]IMG_20130825_241417_178_zps27347ff7.jpg Photo by jones95runner | Photobucket[/ame]

few weeks later

[ame="http://s859.photobucket.com/user/jones95runner/media/IMG_20130902_181606_463_zpsfc7bcdfe.jpg.html"]IMG_20130902_181606_463_zpsfc7bcdfe.jpg Photo by jones95runner | Photobucket[/ame]

With the power 2.6 will probaly have in 2015 OEM stuff wont last.

That was already discussed. Moving the hitch back isn't going to help. If that helped at all guys would be doing it at 26” also. There's a reason the rule only had a measurement stating how far away from the rear it HAS to be not how far it can be.

WRONG!!!!!

Thank You! Look at some 3.0 hitches and if you are brave enough get your tape measure out, lol! There are some hitches well over 44" from centerline. I never thought it could help either, until a couple of close friends started playing with it on their trucks.

In 2012 we built a new truck to run our local 2.8 class. The class allowed open rear end that year. We built the truck with a nv4500 we had and bought a 271 out of a daily driver part out truck. We were running a bushed s480 around 1100hp. More than likely not near the power the 2.6 guys today are making. We do have some good tracks around here but not all are like the northern tracks. Think we made 10 or so hooks where the truck stayed together then this happened

IMG_20130825_241417_178_zps27347ff7.jpg Photo by jones95runner | Photobucket

few weeks later

IMG_20130902_181606_463_zpsfc7bcdfe.jpg Photo by jones95runner | Photobucket

With the power 2.6 will probaly have in 2015 OEM stuff wont last.

Videos don't work on my phone?!?

Lol, sorry... The photos work when I click on them

Last edited:
Thank You! Look at some 3.0 hitches and if you are brave enough get your tape measure out, lol! There are some hitches well over 44" from centerline. I never thought it could help either, until a couple of close friends started playing with it on their trucks.

Someone explain how that works then and why guys are always trying to run 44" and not the opposite?

Videos don't work on my phone?!?

Lol, sorry... The photos work when I click on them

LOL the link that way used to work. I'm not saying people won't be able to get down the track with oem stuff. But they will break something eventually. And if a transmission or a transfer goes there is a pretty good chance it will get the motor. I have pictures of that also if anybody wants to see them LOL. With that being said I'm not saying ODL is the answer.

LOL the link that way used to work. I'm not saying people won't be able to get down the track with oem stuff. But they will break something eventually. And if a transmission or a transfer goes there is a pretty good chance it will get the motor. I have pictures of that also if anybody wants to see them LOL. With that being said I'm not saying ODL is the answer.

That's what made the 3.0 ODL decision very easy for myself 5 years ago, lol

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skCkL_84Tew"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skCkL_84Tew[/ame]

And that's what happens when a T-case goes. You scatter a motor before you know what happened. Data logger read 8960rpm when it let go.

Someone explain how that works then and why guys are always trying to run 44" and not the opposite?

Look at is as long pry bar vs. short pry bar. Or a see saw where the pivot isn't centered. You better put the fat kid on the short end or the long side will always win.
When I used to pull antique tractors we experimented with a long drawbar on some tracks that were bad and I couldn't get enough weight on the rear. It made a dramatic difference, especially when you started getting it several inches back. We had keep it a minimum of 18" from the center of the rear axle. If I moved it back to 24", it took quite a bit more weight on the nose.

Last edited:
Back