2wd or 4wd if you could go either way for Pro-Street?

dmaxalliTech

Dmax re-engineer
Title says it all. There is 4wd trucks and 2wd trucks, 4wd has the obvious adavantage for traction, 2wd seems safer to me with less moving parts.. What would you do/prefer/ choose?

Any and all input welcome.

I like the 2WD it's alot of fun to go straight :woohoo: :woohoo:

I am talking strictly a drag truck, Might be a streeter once and a while, but its purpose would be to go fast and straight.

dmaxalliTech said:
I am talking strictly a drag truck, Might be a streeter once and a while, but its purpose would be to go fast and straight.

There's only one knucklehead that I know of that has a fast 2wd in the Chevy world..Then again, he is from the sowth, so he's kinda slow upstairs...LOL

Gimme a 4wd...:D

I've watched Gene's truck run a few times. I've also seen Jeff, Darren, Palmer and others run, Its no secret that the 4wd will launch, but I dont see Palmer having much of an issue either really. My concern is running that fast with all that stuff moving I guess. So far, it dont seem to be a problem though.

Depends. The 4x4's are harder to shed weight from if needed, but the 60 alot better. I'd have to think they are tougher on tranny and driveline stuff.

partsguy662 said:
There's only one knucklehead that I know of that has a fast 2wd in the Chevy world..Then again, he is from the sowth, so he's kinda slow upstairs...LOL

Gimme a 4wd...:D

:kick:

I'm not Pro-Street fast though... LOL

The 4WD trucks have great short track but as these things get fmore and more powerful I think a proper 2WD setup will be safer and be faster to boot.

It will come down to weight and where the power is going, i.e., if you have a 2wd that can hook decent at the line vs. a 4wd the 2wd is going to be lighter and less power will be lost to driveline.

Look at the Stuckey's truck, it's a 2wd and is the first "official" 9 sec truck. I think Darren can get there IF he can get the sucker to hold together but all that traction has hurt him, there is no "give" in his setup.

I'd go 2wd just because it has the potential to drop more weight not to mention less drag lower to the ground. I think the rules will get harder on the 4wd trucks due to safety concerns sooner rather then later also.

I'm a 4X4 guy but theres no question for me, a drag only truck it would be a 2wd

well if i had the cash to build a truck for prostreet it would probably be a 4wd, i just love a 4wd lauch :}
but they both have there + and -'s
robert

I think its time to ditch the pro street name due to these trucks aren't street legal anymore.

2wd will be the future of whatever the class becomes, lighter & less likely to break.

Idaho CTD said:
I'd go 2wd just because it has the potential to drop more weight not to mention less drag lower to the ground. I think the rules will get harder on the 4wd trucks due to safety concerns sooner rather then later also.

I agree 100% for 1/4 mile trucks.

Noreaster said:
I think its time to ditch the pro street name due to these trucks aren't street legal anymore.

2wd will be the future of whatever the class becomes, lighter & less likely to break.
i cant speak for the others and have questioned this myself as well but the fastest dmax on the planet is still driven weekly on the street .....:rockwoot:

Noreaster said:

Mine is a 100% street legal with all the factory amenities plus a few more.

You're right David, but you're not in the 9 sec bracket. These trucks are not street legal.

..Preston..

Back