2wd sledpulling

Well been looking for some tires and I think these might work. LT375/55R16 Baja ATZ Radial. I'm looking for something wide for the rear and only found a few. I think these would do better then a mud tire due to the fact I may be able to get out of the hole and not bog down to much. What do you guys think? Should I just stick with a 33/12.50?

inline6359 said:
I have a 2wd to so take that into consideration. But it seems with these videos you show good reason NOT to pull with 2wd. Also seems each has an excuse for the outcome.

Adam u are correct. There really not what i would call excuse they are things that i have done that i no not to do again. I need traction bars for one to quit hoppin off the line. U here in vidoe 2 i beilve 1 of the vidoes i keep getting in it then letting off. Maybe they are excuse hell i dont no. All i no is i review the vidoes and try to better myself. I change the set up each time to see if i can do better. I seem to like my current set up alot better. Also it seems all the good pulls either the camera is broke or someone dont record. There are a couple of very good pulls that are not caught on tape. When i get my bellhousing and a few other mics parts we will be in the pull off again.:Cheer:

dieseldawg said:
i've seen plenty of 4wheel trucks get beatin bad by 2wheel trucks i've seen the scheid truck refuse to pulloff against a 2wheel

Where? And how much were you drinking? :hehe:

I can understand why a mod 2WD blown gasser purpose-built wheelhanger with giant cuts on the back and ridiculous hitch height could hang with a Scheid truck, but you're smoking dope if you think ANY 2WD full-bodied street pickup can hang with it's equivalent in 4WD. Have fun mopping up in the bottom 3rd of the class.

:doh:

Dazed&Confused said:
I just want to see it grow. I cant see why it wouldnt.

Here's your major problems to solve:

1) I don't think the fairboards are interested in another "boring" street truck class where everyone and their brother can enter;
2) None of the national sanctioning bodies have a 2WD class, and have a hard enough time supporting several classes of 4x4s, let alone some other "beginnner" class.

Y'all do whatcha want (you will anyway) but it'd be wiser to just get a 4x4.

nwpadmax said:
Where? And how much were you drinking? :hehe:

I can understand why a mod 2WD blown gasser purpose-built wheelhanger with giant cuts on the back and ridiculous hitch height could hang with a Scheid truck, but you're smoking dope if you think ANY 2WD full-bodied street pickup can hang with it's equivalent in 4WD. Have fun mopping up in the bottom 3rd of the class.

:doh:

I will concur with Matt on this. I have pulled against custom bodied, huge rear tire blown engines. It was closer than I thought. The 1st or second points leader in the outlaw class only put about 15 ' on me. The other 2 were within 5-10'

I can show you boys some full steel bodied 2wd's that pull in the lower classes that can hand you your azz. I'm talking truck running 35" BFG's in the back.

sullivan IN open class a 2wheel drive cut tires steel bodied ITPA truck called sweet dreams no drinking involved

Come up to our pulls we have up here next year Mitch and watch Bryant Lawson pull the Judge.

Dazed&Confused said:
I can show you boys some full steel bodied 2wd's that pull in the lower classes that can hand you your azz. I'm talking truck running 35" BFG's in the back.

I highly doubt any 2WD truck with 35" BFGs and no blower will hand me my ass.

I've pulled in the Run Whatcha Brung against 1000 HP+ non-blown big block 4WD trucks and got 6th (10 or 15' from the front). Take the front axle off those guys and I'll take all their money all night long.

You guys must live in dreamland.

You keep telling yourselves that. These guys know how to build trucks, and I've seen them suprise quite a few quys. If you dont believe it can happen fine, you can have your opinion. 2wd pullers are huge around here, these guys have been pulling for 15+ years and usually put on a better show then the diesels.

So what makes you think us 4WD guys don't also know how to build trucks?

Who has a real class for these 2WD trucks, and can I see the rules somewhere?

I can see a 2WD big gasser with cut tires hanging OK with 2.8" street diesels, but not ones with 35" BFGs...just not enough meat there.

I never said you couldnt build a truck. I just get tired of hearing all the Bs that 2wd trucks cant pull. I'll see if I can find the rules.

I have pulled with the purpose built trucks with the I tihnk 26" rim diameter tires. Blown engines and like I said the number 1 or number 2 points winner only put like 15' on me. I have also pulled with the 485 cubic inch limit open driveline, DOT tire 4x4 class, and beat probably 1/3 of the field, and I even had a bad hook.

Dazed&Confused said:
Come up to our pulls we have up here next year Mitch and watch Bryant Lawson pull the Judge.

I've seen it. I doubt he (or anyone in his class) would hand any good running 4wd 2.8 truck their ass though. It may be close, but I doubt it.

We are talking about similar horsepower trucks (the hottest 2.8 trucks are probably within 100whp or so) but far more torque with the diesels AND 4 tires the same size as the two tires on the 2wd pulling against one another. It just isn't an equivalent match.

IMO, no one is saying a 2wd can't pull, they clearly can as evidenced by the classes available to them in the gas sector for the sport. They are just saying they shouldn't be pulled within the same class as the engine/turbo equivalent 4wd trucks. YOU WILL LOSE most of the time.

Second thought on edit.... It would be nice if there were a sled operator that frequented these boards. They certainly would know if there is a need for a different sled setup between the two classes. That would be enough indicator for me as to worth or not they (gas 2wds with DOT tires vs 2.8 diesel trucks) are similarly matched.

C-ya

Last edited:
Well yeah, OK, 2WD drive trucks can pull, just nowhere close to the front of a 4WD class.

Maybe someone can answer this riddle, 'cause I can't solve it.

Why would you go out and spend money on a 2WD truck (like some in this thread have done) to run in the back of the pack? All you do is risk your hard earned money for nothing.

Now I can see if you have a $1500 truck and you want to hook, fine, throw a $20 hitch on it and go have fun. It costs nothing and you don't expect to win anything, but you get to hook, and if hooking fills your need, then great. $20 to get your fix.

I guess I've always looked at it like this: for the cubic dollars it takes to enter the sport, if I'm not going to run top-ten, then it'll sit in the garage.

It's competition. If you're not competitive, and never going to be, why would you keep going after an impossible goal? Seems like insanity.

Now if there are 2WD classes already out there and good competition can be had, of course, have at it, go pulling!

I've just never seen 2WD pulling (either in person or advertised or rules posted) anywhere in this region. Kinda surprised it exists.

nwpadmax said:
... I've just never seen 2WD pulling (either in person or advertised or rules posted) anywhere in this region. Kinda surprised it exists.

To clarify, you ARE talking about diesels right? 'Cause surely you have seen and heard of gasser 2wd pulling??? :D

C-ya

Back