550hp with the VE

Ive put a ton of time in this pump and feed desghn and I will not just give away hours of R&D to everyone, does a turbo manufacturer give you all there proprietary info on the internet ?

Last edited:
It's a 25 year old pump that no one uses for competition purposes.... It's called being helpful.

No offense, but 650rwhp on twins for a driver is easy....and probably even cheaper than a p-pump

Easy?

I think you can count the fuel only VEs over 600 horse on one hand. :lolly:

But it could be that people just figure if you're going to spend that much time and money you might as well p pump it.

if you can get comparable fuel and reliability why fight the static timing of a P pump? a VE cummins is much more pleasant to drive IMHO, just as tunable if not more so. I don't think it'll ever catch the inline pumps for top power but I sure liked driving the first gen work trucks better than my P-24v personal pickup.

Easy?

I think you can count the fuel only VEs over 600 horse on one hand. :lolly:

But it could be that people just figure if you're going to spend that much time and money you might as well p pump it.

Not saying that the 500+hp VE's aren't rare, but....

14mm head ($500)

or

Core p-pump
cover
gear
lines
Mack Rack Plug
gov springs
delivery valves
(= a lot more than $500 no matter how you cut it)....

Not saying that the 500+hp VE's aren't rare, but....

14mm head ($500)

or

Core p-pump
cover
gear
lines
Mack Rack Plug
gov springs
delivery valves
(= a lot more than $500 no matter how you cut it)....

Oh and don't forget:
•P-pump compatible injectors
•Throttle linkage
•TV cable

Not to mention the time to convert it all over. Now I don't want to sound like a hypocrite since I p-pumped my truck but for 500hp I probably would have stuck with the ve. But I wanted more. Daily driving a ve is much more pleasant than a big injectored p-pump with lots of timing. I think a 500hp ve would be cool.

Being a ve guy myself were extremely cheap. If you want to spend the money 500 hp is easy. Alot of guys try to re invent the wheel instead of spending the money on a setup thats known to work.

You know, I've noticed that most VE guys seem to do their own mods. This includes 14mm head changes and everything. This is partially because of the above-mentioned cheapness, but I think it has more to do with then liking to know how everything works on their truck. Not everybody likes to drop their truck off at a shop with a blank check and tell them what they want out of it, some people like to know what it took and the only real way is to do it yourself.

The problem that brings up is when the tuning and support mods come in. Everybody knows you don't throw a 14mm head and injectors on a 1stgen and make 500hp. It may seem like that if you let some shop do it, but the AFC tuning, LP, inlet lines, air side, timing, and a few other things are the main factors in getting the most out of it. Joe Blow doesn't have access to dynos r experience doing 10 other VE trucks so the results simply won't be there right off the bat. "Easy" is the last word I would use unless you have some sort of connection that lets you use the opportunity to write an article of some kind... :poke:

Another thing to note is that the timing is typically locked in most high end VE builds. The vane pump simply can't keep up with the injectors and the timing will go retarded with RPM/high throttle application. Turboram's published his findings on that over on 1stgen as well.

I am researching and hoping to be in the 500+ club soon with 62/71 and bht3b twins. But I've talked to a few folks that say 14mm heads aren't street able... What's the truly experienced guys opinions here?

I think they are streetable (reliable), you just have to be lucky. You can increase your luck greatly with the right feed setup into the IP, and injectors that won't stress the pressure side too much, but there is still a luck thing involved.

Honestly, there's a luck thing involved with running the factory 12mm stuff as well, but as they go bad they tend to lay down slowly while the 14mm stuff tends to be a sudden, catastrophic failure that'll leave you on the side of the road.

I agree ive done all the work on my truck me and my dad are the only ones to ever turn on wrenchs on it. I was talking more about pump work really. Look at all the guys that have made big power. Minus turbo ram theres nothing special about there pumps. They all have the supporting mods to keep the pumps alive. Imo a giod cam can make a world of a difference. Its all about alot of air early.

500hp ve fuel an air...fmw s362, 5x18's or 6x16's, 14mm h&r, afc mods, and 26-28 degrees of timing should get ya over that mark pretty easy and have plenty of reliability.

Also guys get to caught up on injector hole counts and sizes. I've made more power on a set of Weston's 5x16's then I did with my ole 6x16's.

Also you can get extravagant with fuel supply setups but a good solid 25psi and a seal retainer is all your really need esp if you fix your timing advance piston.

The biggest problem ive run across im my performance excursion is keeping up with maintenance of a 20 year old truck. It seems like everytime i save up enough change to do somthing. Somthing completly unrelated breaks.

The biggest problem ive run across im my performance excursion is keeping up with maintenance of a 20 year old truck. It seems like everytime i save up enough change to do somthing. Somthing completly unrelated breaks.

Your not the only one with this inconvenient problem. Lol.

So whats the 12mm fuel only without nitrous hp recorded? I cant seem to find the solid facts.

Back