550hp with the VE

Brian block 486hp on dunbars back in the day

Edit 2nd that lol

Last edited:
I've been slowly working to get to the point of 500hp ve. Least what I would think could get me their. But its been a slow process to say the least. But pretty much from I collected over the years is, a 14mm head, decent sized injectors,(a lot of guys go for the 6x16, I don't if their better then 5 holes but they'll get the job done) a good fuel supply whether it be a belt driving or large electric, a smallish set of compounds due to the small rpm band that these pumps make power at(even tho if I rember right kta made good power on a pretty big single charger) and the time to get that all to work together. Least this is the formula I've been following trying for the 500hp club.
Jon

posted while getting paid.

i dont know how accurate the HP calculator is, but if its close, then im probably a little over 500 at the wheels. i can never get traction, so my times and speeds are all over the place. my best speed is 108 or 109 in the 1/4. best time of 13.2. truck weighs anywhere from 5750 to 5900 lbs depending on how much fuel i got and whats in the cab. still running a 12mm VE. now that i have another truck, may put a 14mm on it.

Im going to see where i can get with a 12mm pump. im in the process of finishing up my cummins conversion in my 1959 f100. It a 90K mile non intercooled motor with valve springs, and basic pump mods for now. Im building a quick spooling set of twins for it using a gated h1c and an hx52 that is gated as well. Should give me a pretty good chance at tuning these very well. I have a fuel system and the other basics setting aside. Just tryin to decide what size injectors to run.

So whats the 12mm fuel only without nitrous hp recorded? I cant seem to find the solid facts.

BC847 I think....truck is still a non-lockup! There was also some truck that supposedly did 527rwhp a few years ago, but details were sketchy. I think GLHS did 472rwhp, which is pretty solid.

76dceae6.jpg

Honestly, there's a luck thing involved with running the factory 12mm stuff as well, but as they go bad they tend to lay down slowly while the 14mm stuff tends to be a sudden, catastrophic failure that'll leave you on the side of the road.

That's what I thought too...I actually carried a spare pump and tools in my truck for a while on long trips....then just the tools, now I just stopped worrying about it. There's a few pullers running the big pumps with pretty good success, and they still drive the trucks too. The problem comes when people deviate from the proven recipe, and try to turn 4500rpm with a Holley Red pump at 6psi or something. That no workie.

The problem comes when people deviate from the proven recipe

Don't you also turn your pump down when just driving around? As in backing the fuel screw out, not valet switch. I know your lacking in the air side of things, but is that also to be easy on the 14mm?

Don't you also turn your pump down when just driving around? As in backing the fuel screw out, not valet switch. I know your lacking in the air side of things, but is that also to be easy on the 14mm?

The Scheid pump has weight added to the governor to help control idle speed and limit top end fueling, but it makes for a nasty idle when turned all the way up. For normal driving, I have the fuel screw backed off two turns so it will idle normal-ish. I made the 487rwhp number like that, the little 62mm charger isn't going to do any more than that anyhow. For nitrous runs, I turn the fuel screw all the way in, and let 'er rip.

Lope...
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0QDymQB9nI"]14mm VE pump idle - YouTube[/ame]

how hard is 400-450 with the 12mm pump?

I dont think 400 is very hard. Once you get towards the 450 range is were the pump starts to act weird ie the ksb. But its like any truck you can have a hot smokey 400 pretty easily. Getting it run good will take alittle more work. Still very doable. Im pretty set on a fmw62 with my 188/208 cam i think it will be a very nice setup. And please excuse my gramar and spelling im on my phone.

Back