7.3 L only start good when it's warm?

Rodriguez72

Hey guys I'm new to this form, I have a 02 f350 powerstroke with a 7.3, the truck after u let it sit 4-5 hours is very hard starting and you can hear the injectors are very noisy until it warms up a bit.. It acts like it loosing it's prime but my lift pump is putting out 65psi so I know that's good.. Please help? So far have replaced all glow plugs, both injector harness.

Can you hear the glow plug relay click when you turn the key forward? If the relay is bad, new plugs won't make any difference. What year truck?

The last one I saw that did that needed injectors.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Yes I can hear the relay.. It's a 2002 and it's 85 degrees out so I didnt think the glow plugs would really matter when starting if it's that warm out.

The last one I saw that did that needed injectors.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
I hope it don't need them :( I did and injector buzz test and they all passed. That's what made me think it was the harness also it's ohm reading was higher on the harness but changing the harnesses didnt work :(

This is competition diesel not educate your ass diesel! If you don't know the abbreviations you've got a sh!t ton of learning to get done. SEARCH!

P.S. injector buzz test only tells you they buzz not that they work properly. :doh:

Last edited:
This is competition diesel not educate your ass diesel! If you don't know the abbreviations you've got a sh!t ton of learning to get done. SEARCH!

P.S. injector buzz test only tells you they buzz not that they work properly. :doh:

Ok man I'm sorry, like I said I'm new to this stuff.. Can the GPR cause it to hard start even when it's warm out? And I used the search tool and can find anything on the ICP so could ya help me out, sorry and thanks

Just a heads up.... Ford Truck Enthusiasts 7.3L forum, Ford Diesel Power, Powerstroke Army and Powerstroke Nation will have more 7.3L guys around for tech support for future info....

The GPR is the Glow Plug Relay...If you can hear it click then it is working. ICP is Injector Control Pressure. The IPR(Injection Pressure Regulator) controls ICP. You can do a google search for powerstroke acronyms and should come up with the list of the common ones for the 7.3.

What exactly do you mean by hard start? Is it turning over slow, is it stumbling, misfiring, or running rough before smoothing out? Is it just taking longer to crank before it fires? Are you getting any kind of smoke after it has sat for awhile? What color? Does it smell like unburnt fuel if its smoking?

How old are your batteries? Have you checked the voltage on each battery(pull the cables so they aren't connected)? How old is your starter?

The biggest killer of 7.3 and 6.0 injectors is dirty fuel and dirty oil. When was the last time you changed your fuel filter and your oil? If it's been awhile, you might think about changing your fuel filter first and see if it helps. You'd be amazed at the **** you'll find in fuel these days.

wow,nothing like kicking a guy when he is down. He is looking for some help not your left arm. Atleast he said he does not know much about them, you do half to give him that.

:clap:

wow,nothing like kicking a guy when he is down. He is looking for some help not your left arm. Atleast he said he does not know much about them, you do half to give him that.

idk maybe he should have used half the time he spent signing up here to do this first....

Google

click me ^^^^^

Last edited:
This Comp D right...Bringing the Best together Correct?? Maybe the guy figured he would come to this site and get the correct information or help from people who work on these trucks all the time rather then play the guessing game or google it. Just my opinion but carry on

Way to be a prick

my point is the best tool in my toolbox is the internet........

people arent on forums 24/7 to answer a question about something at every hour of the day

just sayin

Last edited:
Back