7.3 L only start good when it's warm?

The oil plug you remove is on the very top on the drivers side next to the oil pressure switch and uses an allen wrench. the solenoid you are refering to is the IPR and it usually hangs open or closed, you need the scan tool to check that one or some 5k psi gauges and some fancy fittings and adapters for the oil lines.

Ok so oil Is 1" from top, so on my scanner with key in acc position it's showing this
InjPrsReg (%) 15

When I try to fire it up can u tell me what values I'll be looking for?

Also I have other values
InjCtrlPr (kpa)
When I crank it over the kpa is going up to 15,000
InjPrsReg is still staying at 15% when I crank it over

Change the Kpa to PSI for us folk that can't do the conversion in our heads. If the ICP is staying at 15% and the pressure is exceeding 3200 PSI then I would look at the IPR stuck making too much pressure but none the less it will run at anything over 500 PSI. These trucks will run when over 120 RPM, 500 PSI HPOP Pressure and over 10 Volts PCM Power, and 45 PSI or more of fuel pressure. What is the FP at the filter?

Doesn't sorry damn spell check.. And yes at idle just sitting there it isn't fluctuating.. Is it suppose to ?

id be willing to bet if your glow plugs are working correctly that the problem is your injectors.(primarily your plungers and barrels...sticking inside them when the oil is cool. once the oil warms up the p&bs unstick and work properly. I bet a set of properly set up injectors would cure your problem. Heck might as well go with some single stage injectors since youll be doing them anyway. I would recomend swamps out of tn for 7.3 injectors. Watever you do dont buy any from that place in florida(pensicolla diesel...) he sells cheap 7.3 injectors ceaper than anyone and they are junk trust me i made that mistake he used cheap ass p&bs and were not even worth rebuilding let alone running.

id be willing to bet if your glow plugs are working correctly that the problem is your injectors.(primarily your plungers and barrels...sticking inside them when the oil is cool. once the oil warms up the p&bs unstick and work properly. I bet a set of properly set up injectors would cure your problem. Heck might as well go with some single stage injectors since youll be doing them anyway. I would recomend swamps out of tn for 7.3 injectors. Watever you do dont buy any from that place in florida(pensicolla diesel...) he sells cheap 7.3 injectors ceaper than anyone and they are junk trust me i made that mistake he used cheap ass p&bs and were not even worth rebuilding let alone running.

Have you heard of full force injectors? Any good? Those are what I was referred to also

Full force injectors are good also but swamps is probably the best ones to go with. Another thing to check are your injector harnesses if you're doing injectors. If they are burnt, it will cause some wierd symptoms. Definitely worth checking while you have the valve covers off. There should be two connectors on each bank that plug into your valve cover gaskets. Pull the connectors and check out the plug and see if any of the wires or pins are burnt. Just changed harnesses and connectors on a friends truck and it runs much better.

Back