7.3 powerstroke in 2.6 class

$1600 on top of a mount kit puts you at $4K

Read the specs on that clutch.

6 Speed (ZF-6):1999-2003 7.3L Ford Powerstroke

Good for trucks running up to 650RWHP

12 Ceramic Buttons per side of disc.

Approx 3300lb Plate Load
All clutch kits include everything needed to do the job including heavy duty roller ball bearings

We reccomend installing a new clutch fork on the 1999 & 2000 trucks when replacing the clutch assembly.

LOL it's not a Dodge. How many used turbo mount kits have you see for sale? The used hpo systems go for near as much as new. You don't see many BIG Ford injectors for sale either.

Well you asked

I picked up my h2e and mount plus my stage 2's injectors for 3,000

gen 3 oil for 800

I know that stages 2's wont work for pulling to well but its a good start to keep building or sell them and get bigger.

I need to get the h2e moded but all the parts has less then 10,000 miles on them.

I know there not prime stuff but Its a good start and the price was right. All I can say is look around.

what kinda of rpm can be had from the 7.3's?

at what point do you need rods and pistions to keep from dockboying the bottom end all over the place?

just curious because my buddy has a sweet looking 7.3 he wants to start pulling with and he was telling me that he was gonna get another motor and build it to turn 5k rpms and be 800+hp and was saying it would only cost him around $10k

I think it is pretty cool to take the road less traveled, but im to big of a sissy to do it :).
Brandon

I am about the road less travelled with my excursion but when the motor goes I will be to big of a sissy to rebuild it but re-power it.

at what point do you need rods and pistions to keep from dockboying the bottom end all over the place?

just curious because my buddy has a sweet looking 7.3 he wants to start pulling with and he was telling me that he was gonna get another motor and build it to turn 5k rpms and be 800+hp and was saying it would only cost him around $10k

Can it turn 5K... maybe. To make any usable power that high.... no. At least not yet. The tuning has come a long way over the last few months. I've turned 4500 on the street. It was still pulling and I lifted. After live tuning the last hook of the year on a pretty decent track I held 3500. My truck is under fueled and definately could do better. I don't see any 800 hp for $10k. Maybe twice that.
Myself and Joe both have stock bottom end. There are a few at 600+ on stock rods.

Well you asked

I picked up my h2e and mount plus my stage 2's injectors for 3,000

gen 3 oil for 800

I know that stages 2's wont work for pulling to well but its a good start to keep building or sell them and get bigger.

I need to get the h2e moded but all the parts has less then 10,000 miles on them.

I know there not prime stuff but Its a good start and the price was right. All I can say is look around.

The OP asked what it would cost to be competitive. Like I said the stuff is hard to find. What you have isn't going to get there. The GenIII was a good find if everything is there.

so what's it take to go solid 700rwhp with a 2.6 7.3??? What kind of money is it once you start doing internals???

Why are things so much more? specifically, the turbo mounting kits? Why haven't companies developed them for cheaper like is available for the DMAX??? Just doesn't make since. There's LOTS of you all out there so I can only assume they'd sell and be a necessary part of any good build. So what gives with the aftermarket support for these things??? Why such a lack of support???

C-ya

http://www.puredieselpower.com/cata...2cb-powerstroke-double-disk-clutch-p-405.html
so 1800 for a clutch 200 cheaper then i listed
so down down to 10,180 now

as i stated that was for a base price 2.6 a custom 2.6 s400 can be had for 1600-2k depending on specs on top of a mount kit

you arent getting much for a clutch, i would get a mcleod. i guess they make clutches for a ford. i was talked into a south bend and when it finally goes out its going in a box and gonna be sent to the one that talked me into it.

Looks like either a cummins or duramax is the way to go then

I know everyone will have their own opininions but which would be the best for a daily driver and 2.6 puller, a 24-valve 2nd generation cummins, a 3rd generation cummins or a duramax?

Or would it be better to just put a 12 valve in the ford I have now. Are enigne swaps between manufactures even allowed in a 2.6 class?

so what's it take to go solid 700rwhp with a 2.6 7.3??? What kind of money is it once you start doing internals???

Why are things so much more? specifically, the turbo mounting kits? Why haven't companies developed them for cheaper like is available for the DMAX??? Just doesn't make since. There's LOTS of you all out there so I can only assume they'd sell and be a necessary part of any good build. So what gives with the aftermarket support for these things??? Why such a lack of support???

C-ya
There is no lack of support on the vendor end but there is lack of support on the customer end!!!
as much as I hate to say it Ford guys are pansies when it comes to making big power, they all want but their not willing to spend the money:bang

C-ya

as far as I know it isn't possible to do that and be legal in the 2.6 class, yet........

here is what I have in my set up so far

turbo mounting kit -about $800 by the time i got everything bought (used)
Moded H2E $1500 (bought used H2E had it modded)
injectors $3000
fuel system about $600
clutch $1700 (new SBC 3600dd 12cb I guess I just got a good deal)
head studs $500
tuneing $400
intercooler $200 (stock superduty one OBS trucks dont have one)
plus a few other things I'm forgetting
that puts me at about $9000

comeing this winter
I have a used BTS dual HPOP sytem to install $1500
valve springs $100
going to have more injector work done probably 1000 to 1500
plus some other top secret stuff:D

I'm not to worried about my bottom end I'm just going to rely on good tuneing to make it hold together. but I do have a spair long block if something happens

the way I see it I could put that much money in a dodge and probably still not have the top truck. I have been haveing a blast running a ford becasue I have basicly the only one in my area that runs at this leval.

The aftermarkt industry for the 7.3's is far from dead, but right now our hold back is the speed of the heui injectors. the P-pumped powerstrokes seem to be keeping up with the cummins engines just fine, it has just taken them a while to figure out how to get them diled in.
there has been a rumer of a super fast 7.3 heui injector in the works so there may be a lot more high performance 7.3's in the near future:rockwoot: time will tell......

$1600 on top of a mount kit puts you at $4K

Read the specs on that clutch.

6 Speed (ZF-6):1999-2003 7.3L Ford Powerstroke

Good for trucks running up to 650RWHP

12 Ceramic Buttons per side of disc.

Approx 3300lb Plate Load
All clutch kits include everything needed to do the job including heavy duty roller ball bearings

We reccomend installing a new clutch fork on the 1999 & 2000 trucks when replacing the clutch assembly.

that's the diaphragm pressure plate .. same clutch you run now if i recall right.

also most can sell the h2e that comes with it for near 500 so not near 4k or can fab your own, or buy the TN mount kit

Last edited:
LOL it's not a Dodge. How many used turbo mount kits have you see for sale? The used hpo systems go for near as much as new. You don't see many BIG Ford injectors for sale either.

got my bts pumps with low miles for 1700 so wrong again
and my used hypermax mount kit for 1000

you arent getting much for a clutch, i would get a mcleod. i guess they make clutches for a ford. i was talked into a south bend and when it finally goes out its going in a box and gonna be sent to the one that talked me into it.

ive had mcleods there piss poor last 4-10 hooks

rpm 5000 is doable
according to ets and weight calculations 680 has been done on stock bottom end so far
its all in the tuner only 2 i trust
tony wildman and swamps

that's the diaphragm pressure plate .. same clutch you run now if i recall right.

also most can sell the h2e that comes with it for near 500 so not near 4k or can fab your own, or buy the TN mount kit

Joe that's not the same clutch I run by any stretch.

How much would it take for a 7.3 powerstroke to be competitive in a 2.6 class

not go out and win every pull but atleast be able to hang with the cummins and duramaxes

I don't see anywhere in the op about looking for used parts. Joe you of all people should know an H2E is not going to be competitive. Maybe at a local brush pull.

Looks like either a cummins or duramax is the way to go then

I know everyone will have their own opininions but which would be the best for a daily driver and 2.6 puller, a 24-valve 2nd generation cummins, a 3rd generation cummins or a duramax?

Or would it be better to just put a 12 valve in the ford I have now. Are enigne swaps between manufactures even allowed in a 2.6 class?

Well, You could spend the money for a newer truck BUT there are many reasons why people do the swap. Ford-Great truck, Cummins-Great motor. Haven't read into the rule books deep enough but I'm sure the smaller brush pulls don't mind engine swapped trucks.

Back