833hp Common Rail Single turbo on #2 I am back

Thanks Jim
I will put that video and my 1/4 mile video up when i get back home. I must say that sled pulling was my favorite event of them all.
Another comment for the boys out there back home i make 76lbs of boost up in Utah i never got passed 60lbs and on the dyno i never saw more than 40lbs.
How much power does it take to move 8300 lbs down the track with a 1.83 60 foot 12.02 114 mph truck on diesel at 4500 ft elevation????????????

W1cked said:
Thanks Jim
I will put that video and my 1/4 mile video up when i get back home. I must say that sled pulling was my favorite event of them all.
Another comment for the boys out there back home i make 76lbs of boost up in Utah i never got passed 60lbs and on the dyno i never saw more than 40lbs.
How much power does it take to move 8300 lbs down the track with a 1.83 60 foot 12.02 114 mph truck on diesel at 4500 ft elevation????????????
i dont dissagree that there is much less power at high elevations, but i do dissagree that the mega cab single rear wheel gained 1000 pounds over the CC single wheel trucks.........i see these trucks often and about 200lbs is all that separates them!

MADDOG said:
Explain this one RC. At 3800-4500' my truck runs around 98-102 psi with the big charger making 48-52. With zero changes I went to Kent Washington (75' elevation) and made 116psi and the big charger blew up at 64psi. In my opinion the 1.17 correction factor in Salt Lake is way to high. A 1.04 would be about right.

I wouldnt know how to explain that,I was asking the questions because I dont know.I agree with you on the correction factor for the most part,I think that using no correction factors is the best way,but then again I have never dynoed with alot of elevation.In one of my previous posts I asked if a truck makes the same boost at different elevations would the horsepower be the same,so youre saying if a truck is set up at a high elevation then you dyno closer to sea level,the turbos will make more boost or on the reverse of that from low to high elevation it would make less boost,that makes good sense.So with proper tuning and knowing you were going to have a power problem due to elevation you could still make a truck make the same power regardless of elevation,is this correct,if so the dynos should be ran uncorrected and people should rely on proper tuning and not correction factors to make horsepower.

W1cked said:
Thanks Jim

Hey man come join us August 4th ............. lets see what that thing will do at sea level? :tree:

RCCX said:
So with proper tuning and knowing you were going to have a power problem due to elevation you could still make a truck make the same power regardless of elevation,is this correct,if so the dynos should be ran uncorrected and people should rely on proper tuning and not correction factors to make horsepower.

Yes and no again..

You could tune for the elevation, but no matter how you slice the bread, you are still going to have less dense air at elevation.

That means less oxygen, which could potentially at the same boost levels mean less power.

Plus, you would actually need higher boost gauge pressure to equal the same manifold pressure, since your dropping from 14.7 psi to 12.5 or so. So for the same over-all manifold pressure of 60 gauge psi at sea level you would need 62.5 +/- psi at elevation.

And since most of us are not at a lack of fuel, but a lack of air (hense the black smoke) it is going to be even MORE difficult to increase the boost since you can't even burn the fuel you've got at sea level.

Which is where the nitrous comes in. You don't need much of a correction factor if your brining your oxygen with you.. If any.

Hey RC if you go by uncorrected at sea level it will give you the most hp.
When i get back home i will dyno again with and without nitrous.
This was the first time i shot my engine with nitrous and i had plenty of smoke left for another shot.

W1cked said:
Hey RC if you go by uncorrected at sea level it will give you the most hp.

Huh?

Yes, sometimes the SAE CF will be negative at, or near sea level, but not always:what: On a hot and humid day I have seen SAE CF's at 1.02 plus near sea level.

Everything in miami works that way. LOL
Whether you guys like it or not my truck made it through the Diesel Power Challenge and came in second.
I have never sled pulled or pulled a 10k trailer down the track.
Another thing my truck was the only one that had to pull that 10k trailer down the track twice because the smoke triggerd the lights at the track.

Just curious...what tires did you run during the challenge? What kinda tires was everybody else running?

W1cked said:
Everything in miami works that way. LOL
Whether you guys like it or not my truck made it through the Diesel Power Challenge and came in second.

I don't think a single person here would claim to "dislike" that fact.

Wicked, your truck is bad. I don't think anyone is questioning that. I don't know that you made 833 on a ESTIMATING TOOL, and I don't know that you didn't.

You went out and did pretty much exactly what you said you would. If you can duplicate the estimate on the dyno again... Bravo. But, after all this, I probably wouldn't lose much more sleep over it.

For the record.. I would presonally still like to see you race some of the challengers that called you out. Nothing against them or you, but that would be some sweet humble pie for the loser.

On your way home...... Stop by David Dunbars Dyno. I could not guess the percentage of people in these fourms that have been on that Dyno but it's high. Davids Dyno speaks the truth! And hey, you could always get a few pointers from "the Jeff" to boot!

W1cked, theres not a soul on hear thats not impressed by your truck, and your performance at DPC. Thats not the issue, congrats again, you did great, and I can't wait to see that truck do some more at some of the events. The thing that were trying to get accross is/was the initial 833 HP on #2that was claimed. No one is saying you don't have a dyno sheet saying that, what people were/are saying is that that number was way out of wack with what others with your same setup. I've probably given you as much grief as anyone here about it. Your truck did well, congrats, I am envious, and hope to see you hit above that 833 on #2.

Back