Alluminum Driveshafts?

This one is $625 out the door i provided the trans yoke they provided the u joints.. 5" diameter 1/8" wall tube. He says he will guarantee it not to break or give me issues but ive heard that before.. I know what there building is far stronger than any oem driveshaft. Just not sure if I believe it to be as strong as he is thinking it will be but at this point I don't have any other options steel isn't able to be used and only other 2 options are go back to a stock 2wd od housing and output shaft or shorten the wheelbase of the truck, or set motor an trans back and thats not happening. Guess time will tell if it holds up or not.

The factory aluminum shafts in the Dmax trucks seem to take alot of punishment. I think guys are running into the mid 11s on stock shafts with street trim crew cabs.

If your builder is using Sonnax yokes and tube I don't think you will be disappointed and I don't think you will have a problem either. Nice stuff, I've built a couple so far.

One thing I disagree with that alot of driveline builders are still doing is offering driveshafts up until XX length by tube size. I was taught growing up in the shop 72" for 4" steel tube was max. BUT, I've personally taken to looking at tire size, gear ratio of the vehicle, and max intended speed to figure out the actual potential RPM of the driveshaft.

Give Rich a call at Dog House Diesel.
He sells aluminum drive shafts.

I'm not sure but I think he just buys them from Mopar and re-sells them. Pm Supershafts on here. He can make you what you need if yours doesn't work out.

Yes I know supershafts does and I would have gladly given him my business if I wasn't trying my damndest to get the truck together for testing this weekend. Local shop I've used and had good luck with in past is doing it and will be ready by lunch tomorrow.

Yes I know supershafts does and I would have gladly given him my business if I wasn't trying my damndest to get the truck together for testing this weekend. Local shop I've used and had good luck with in past is doing it and will be ready by lunch tomorrow.

Not to shoot Marty in the foot ( or myself for that matter), But if you have a driveline guy that you are happy with in your "backyard"...... Why web shop? Most of the people I ship stuff to can't get quality service or parts in there neck of the woods. $.02

not my steel one. It is larger dia. Then stock and raced with it and been well above 120 many times. Plus many boosted 4wd launches. Maybe my guy sprinkled some magic pixie dust on it after it was dynamically balanced.:hehe:

Yeah they're fine at high shaft rpm so long as the o.d. is larger (I'm guessing yours is 5"?) But a steel 5" shaft is going to be somewhere around 25% heavier than the stock shaft. But a single 4 inch shaft cannot(or is very difficult to) balance for a cclb truck.

So aluminum allows you to have a 5" o.d. so you can spin it faster but weigh a lot less than a comparable steel shaft. Also if you have 3.42s as opposed to 4:56s you're going to be able to have a lot more wheel speed before the drive shaft reaches its maximum rpm and says goodbye!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Nope....on the older trucks, the EC/LB and CC/LB were all 2-piece steel units.

Thats not exactly true. CCSB and ECLB Allison trucks started out in 01 with 2 piece driveshafts, the aluminum single piece was an updated part ( different for each truck) that showed up somewhere around late 02 - early 03.

Nope....on the older trucks, the EC/LB and CC/LB were all 2-piece steel units.

Thats not exactly true. CCSB and ECLB Allison trucks started out in 01 with 2 piece driveshafts, the aluminum single piece was an updated part ( different for each truck) that showed up somewhere around late 02 - early 03.

My 01 ECLB Duramax truck with an Allison has a 1-piece Aluminum driveshaft. And it is a long one!!!

My 01 ECLB Duramax truck with an Allison has a 1-piece Aluminum driveshaft. And it is a long one!!!

You may or may not be able to find a sticker somewhere on that truck that mentions GM update # XXXX complete. My 01 ECLB BB truck had an aluminum shaft and there was a sticker. Maybe it was by the belt routing diagram?

You may or may not be able to find a sticker somewhere on that truck that mentions GM update # XXXX complete. My 01 ECLB BB truck had an aluminum shaft and there was a sticker. Maybe it was by the belt routing diagram?

I'll look when I get a chance... Doesn't really matter to me though... We will be making it a SB and installing a shorter shaft soon!

a local puller/drag truck around here is running one in a ECLB dodge with 0 issues in the last 2 years so far. I believe he told me it was 4" round with .250 wall and 1480 joints.

Well picked it up and got it stabbed in today track testing didn't go as planned seems another gremlin has developed.. But the driveshaft is a beast and its 1480 u joint @ transmission yoke and 1410 on differential side. Pic below is next to the old driveshaft big big difference.

du6a6egy.jpg

qesujaqu.jpg

Back