Alluminum Driveshafts?

Alcoa seamless 6061-t6 t500-125-80 19658940 10-12-13 is stenciled into the tube and the u joint ends are in fact sonnax.

I haven't weighed them on a set of scales or anything but I would estimate 25lb difference and i added somewhere around 8 more inches on the new one.

The truck in my Sig, I currently have a 1 piece steel .083 wall with 1410 universals

If you are running a 271 T-case, the ouptput is flanged and the biggest inboard slip ( slip joint on driveshaft) parts I know of are for 1350 series for 4" tube and whether they would be heavier enough for what you are doing is questionable.

Yup just looked at their website, I must have over looked that, guess I might have to look at using a dodge slip yoke output or go to a duramax t case since my allison would bolt right up

That's weird I had a one piece steel shaft made up for my qc3500 it was 80 something inches long - no issues?

You have a 80" long on center, not end of slip to end of weld yoke on you're truck and it's what diameter in steel ?

This is a street truck of strictly pulling truck ?

Funny you mention that, my welder just had one fly apart on his 2013 3500 with ~6000 miles. All stock. Said he was just driving along, started vibrating, then pow.

That's odd, did he delete the speed governor and was he exceeding that speed ? ?
Doesn't sound right to me.

I've had a bad experience with aluminium drive shafts . Had one in the rear of my '90 f350 and while pulling a steep hill with about 25k of round bales it said "I quit screw this " and twisted like a licorice stick . Put me in a situation in the dark and cold having to walk get help and still feed cows . Never again and that was a stock 460 , 34" inch tires and 4:10 gears ! I now have .250 wall and 1410 u joints . Never a failure since .

A 1990 F-350 with a factory AL shaft ?

What was the length and diameter of this shaft ?

Give Rich a call at Dog House Diesel.
He sells aluminum drive shafts.

Leave that call, if you can use a local shop use it, having shafts shipped from here to there, and then there to there, and then there to you isn't good.... UPS especially (and i witnessed it 1st hand as my brother works for them) and other shippers THROW things and as odd as it sounds driveshafts DO NOT like being thrown around and it can and does effect the balance.
this was experienced by one of my local people that went that route above, had issues and that person didn't make right

I haven't weighed them on a set of scales or anything but I would estimate 25lb difference and i added somewhere around 8 more inches on the new one.

Should be half the weight of the steel shaft, AL is 1.5 lbs lighter than Stl per foot

Back