Assembling Project X “the Beetle “ engine

Caling the beetle with rollcage a DD is kinda stretching the meaning of daily driver. Moreso after the fact that it has been done by a team and with large budget and is not driven in the meantime. It is only diven at drag queen week and texas mile... It might be able to pull out fastest 1/4 mile run in US this year but it would have its ass busted if it ever came over to the old continent. Or can you get it go under 11 sec?

BTW how fast is it without the funnygas? Andys MK2 would propably have kicked the beetle in the testies if they would have ran against eachother. Thats the fastest and most powerful TDI in America that I know of. And even if it blows up from time to time its still the most intresting. A-pumped with custom iron head and 80PSI... You propably use bosios most crappiest nozzles ever ie. 2R520 7 holes. Without nos those are just crap. And melt pistons...

Oh, no. He's using his superdy dooper comp eliminator 17 hole style nozzles that would've never been made had he not had his connections from all his accomplishments look into making for him, but of course they were his idea and design. Didn't want you thinking he didn't come up with every aspect of the idea and design or that even the company building them for him had any idea what they were doing when building them.

Do you know what TDI stands for? Turbocharged Direct Injection, Id like to see a diesel this day in age that uses indirect injection, so technically yes, just about everybody on here runs a TDI.

If you could have ran much faster at anytime in Project X why didnt you?

So please tell me the difference between someone who drives 1k miles a week and runs better than a 11.3 compared to what you did, I honestly would like to know the difference, b/c there is a couple people on here including me who dont get it, the only difference is there was magazine coverage, at least IMO.

I know it seems like it’s easy, and if you’re well prepared, it is. In a diesel truck 99% of the hard part is not a sweat and I mean that literally.
Most of the participants in Hot Rods drag week are all out race cars, with modifications made to make them legal on the street. I felt real guilty the first 3 years traveling in air condition comfort. The goal of drag week is to divide thinly disguised race cars from cars and trucks , that can truly be driven on the street.

To do this, participants must travel without support for the entire 1500 miles. This may sounds easy but miss getting to the next track, by 2 pm, and you’re out. You will see 5 different track surfaces, on 5 different days. The final time is a average of the best pass turned in each day.

As far as diesel trucks, Project X diesel has had the fastest average of any truck yet. And the fastest pass of any truck that completed the week. The fastest pass ever was Brian Carter’s 11.17 at Drag week 2007 , but 3 transmissions and one set of injectors keep his average down , and forced him out the last day.

As to Project X “the Beetle “having a roll cage, this is necessary for several of the venues we race in , if anything its added weight .
As to big buck funding, I wished, we do most of our own work. Charlie built the cage and its one of the finest I have ever seen. I develop racing engine programs, so I have the ability to call and convince people to manufactory parts that are needed, such as forged pistons. I had my friends makes those up , and in a about a month the TDI world will have an inexpensive forged pistons for not much more than a stock piston.

The beetle is a true street daily driver, except, it really has nowhere to go. I have two other ongoing projects.
One of the greatest aspects of this little diesel , is the easy of modification, and reliability. And the fact that tunes right 50 + mpg is not really a problem
There may be fast TDI’s but I will address that after the drag strip testing we are working to get to

As to Project X “the Beetle “having a roll cage, this is necessary for several of the venues we race in ,

Yeah..."venues" where you have no other competition and never have to line up against anyone else. :doh:

Hey Sub roll... Have you EVER won a heads up race in a diesel vehicle, against another diesel vehicle?:what:

Yeah..."venues" where you have no other competition and never have to line up against anyone else. :doh:

Hey Sub roll... Have you EVER won a heads up race in a diesel vehicle, against another diesel vehicle?:what:
yes , the very first Diesel Pro Mod Event . and against Dustin Bentz dragster ,

Gregg, isnt my buddy Steve Glover at TDI in ft worth doing alot of the work on this car, I seen it over at his shop, he said it been apart for months, how can that be a daily driver? Do you ever give him any credit. He is a good guy and a dam'n good TDI mechanic.

yes , the very first Diesel Pro Mod Event . and against Dustin Bentz dragster ,

So... you have ONE round win in an "exhibition" diesel race, merely as a shoe at that, in the last 7 years:what: You really are "The Man":bow: A Legend in your own mind!LOLLOLLOL

Gregg, isnt my buddy Steve Glover at TDI in ft worth doing alot of the work on this car, I seen it over at his shop, he said it been apart for months, how can that be a daily driver? Do you ever give him any credit. He is a good guy and a dam'n good TDI mechanic.

You've got it all wrong. Daily drive doesn't mean you drive it every day. It means you drive five days in a row in front of a camera. :bang

Gotta play by his :rules:.

Andys MK2 would propably have kicked the beetle in the testies if they would have ran against eachother. Thats the fastest and most powerful TDI in America that I know of. And even if it blows up from time to time its still the most intresting. A-pumped with custom iron head and 80PSI... You propably use bosios most crappiest nozzles ever ie. 2R520 7 holes. Without nos those are just crap. And melt pistons...

How has Andy been doing with his car? Love the hood stack! I had a great time chatting with him in Edmonton at Blackout.

It's a bummer, TDIFest is in my hometown this year, but on a weekend that I'll be in Canada for the Summit ET Finals for NHRA Division 6. I may send an employee or two down there to see if they can learn something.

I agree a cage usually makes daily driving a bit of a hassle. I built a mid-11 second daily driver back in 1984 (originally didn't know how quick it was since I could only go 12.00 without a rollbar). I finally put the rollbar in (without swing-out sidebar since I really needed the chassis rigidity). I think I drove it to work maybe 5 times after that, got tired of smacking my knees and head every time I got in or out. I have seen some well done cages since then that give more room though.

Dunno much more than whats already posted at TDIclub. Stronger rods and parts I suppose.

It's a bummer, TDIFest is in my hometown this year, but on a weekend that I'll be in Canada for the Summit ET Finals for NHRA Division 6. I may send an employee or two down there to see if they can learn something.

Michael, you should come out to pacificwaterland this year then.
Myself and a bunch of other fast tdi's will be there.

Back