Billet Aluminum Cylinder head

Just waiting for the Keith Black aluminum cummins billet block.:bow:

Thats been done, Not many know it but Cummins made a prototype aluminum block and head. The project never went anywere and Im sure it was scraped..:doh:

Could they have meant 100% (double) the flow over a stock head?

BBD
Your right, and Im sure you have already spoke with Russ about it. They told me 350cfm....

On a side note.. Will an alumininum head live ? Fuel tractors run an iron head and Alky runs aluminum. Can someone chime in on this ??

I thought a couple of people had the aluminum blocks and heads in there possesion.

Thats been done, Not many know it but Cummins made a prototype aluminum block and head. The project never went anywere and Im sure it was scraped..:doh:

Your right, and Im sure you have already spoke with Russ about it. They told me 350cfm....

On a side note.. Will an alumininum head live ? Fuel tractors run an iron head and Alky runs aluminum. Can someone chime in on this ??

There is also a compacted graphite iron cummins block.

The word on the street is Indy cylindar head is building it. It had big valves like 2.500 exhaust and 2.250 intake (just shooting from the hip as they wouldnt let me get the calipers out to measure). .

At 2.02 on a stock cast head pretty sure the cyl wall must be notched. Most use 2.02 turned down to 1.94

Depending on classes, the tractor guys still use a cast iron head. It's a completely different casting with no water jackets, and different design almost all together. They hold up and dispurse temp very well...making back to back runs very easy.

We are probably going to experiment with Bob Himes cylinder head for next season in the 5.9 (guy used to work at Indy Cylinder Head) and does many motors and custom re-castings for top tractor pullers. It will most definately work and flow substantially more air, but the cost is around 10 grand. How bad do you want to run up front is the question???

Maybe I shouldn't be giving up secrets, but I've never been one to hold out...if you got the coin, I'd give Bob a call. 317-831-8069

We have a fully tricked out 12V head for my truck.. With the porting and valves, with double springs, I'd have to get about $6500 for it..

It does flow darn near 270 on the intake and 290 exhaust though, I haven't had it flowed since the new valves were done up, the new numbers will definitely be higher.

When you look at a ICH for 5k (if that number is right) that doesn't seem too bad!

BTW, The SMT valvetrain is only $3900, we should have one next week sometime.

On a side note.. Will an aluminum head live ? Fuel tractors run an iron head and Alky runs aluminum. Can someone chime in on this ??

Scrap??? One of them is sitting in an office hallway on display in the Cummins testing Facility. And its P-pumped if it matters. There are more and some have made their way out of Columbus.

Didn't think anyone had a photo but this is the only one I have of it. Took it with my phone and don't have specifics but you can oogle it a while.

993c3911.jpg

At least it's 6061, eh? :Cheer:

What'd you expect, cathedral ports? - and don't even start with oval... :lolly:

"Yesterday's technology working tomorrow" (mainstream diesel performance motto!) :1tooth:

Seriously, though - it's likely packaging constraints as much as anything else.

At least it's 6061, eh? :Cheer:

What'd you expect, cathedral ports? - and don't even start with oval... :lolly:

"Yesterday's technology working tomorrow" (mainstream diesel performance motto!) :1tooth:

Seriously, though - it's likely packaging constraints as much as anything else.

Lol, couldn't agree more.

I'm planning out a head for these things, but with port more similar to this:
f1ports2.jpg

f1ports.jpg

f1ports3.jpg

I can pick up a 100cfm on a 24v head for alot less than 10k!!!!

I believe he said 100 cfm more than a ported stock head.
What does a stock head flow?
What does it flow after porting?
Add 100.
That's a lot!

Back