Burnt piston

Spence, you should mic the crank and send the rods off to be checked for round. Trust me, even with those kind of miles with the way your bearings look my guess would be that your rods are out of round enough to have a tight spot with new bearings... You're not helping my anxiety that I should pull the engine in my truck as well :nail: I'm not even looking forward to pulling the head for a fresh gasket before I build my twins.

My dad was fooling around with the micrometer and said they looked fine, idk about the rods though?

I started getting parts on the way today, hopefully I have enough to have it balanced too. I got some new non inter-cooled pistons with a wider bowl, the old ones are going to be experimented on by my brother in law with valve reliefs/ bowl work and such.

I wasn't looking forward to pulling my head but when it came off everything looked fine until I started to clean it up. so keep a sharp eye!!!

Bad news, according to the machine shop I took my head to today its junk. :doh::banghead::(the cracks are too deep to fix and he just wants to put press in seats. I told him no thankyou...

SO.......anyone have a good head for cheap? I know those two dont go hand in hand but I need something that's affordable and close to me.

Thanks

Unfortunately, I'm not too close to you (North/Central CA) but I've got an O-ringed head I was going to use (O-ringed by JL's dad "Jack").. but I'm probably not going to now. Not sure about the need for O-rings in my setup.

If you're interested, let me know and I can get some photos of it when I get back home on the 3rd.

My buddy wants $500 for it. Like I said, it's O-ringed (by JL Sr.) so that's worth something... I guess it's possible to get a new one for $450 (from who, I don't know) but O-rings cost a bit. It has HD valve springs already.

Let me know if you're still interested and I'll get some pics when I get home early next week.

Oh, and BTW: he didn't need O-rings and wanted to detune the setup and go back to stock(ish), so he bought a new head from PDR. That's why it's off.

Last edited:
where is he located? Ive got about 6 different heads across the country that im looking at. but only serious about the ones close to me

You're not helping my anxiety that I should pull the engine in my truck as well :nail: I'm not even looking forward to pulling the head for a fresh gasket before I build my twins.

Your affraid your motor wont be as nice as mine when I pulled it at 342 thou?

Cool! Hope that works out for you. Let me know if you need me to get shots of the head.

Well, with a stroke of luck I found a whole motor excluding the turbo, injector pump, and timing case for a great deal! I'm gonna pick it up this weekend and hopefully have my truck running in the next couple weeks.

Im also getting a 47RE with it too. :aiwebs_015:

Well I got the new to me motor back in the shop cleaned up and painted. Hopefully will have it halfway installed tomorrow.

My dad has taken an interest in the extra motor I have, so he went to a local mechanic shop that was rebuilding a 24 valve because of a dropped valve seat. He got all the old pistons rings and rod bearings for free LOL. He is not going to use the 24 valve pistons but he is going to use the rings and 4 rod bearings to rebuild my old motor. He has been toying with the idea of swapping it into either our chevy wheat truck or his old regular cab 1986 GMC truck.

So excited to drive my truck again!!

Back