Burnt piston

What prompted you to pull the motor in the first place? The pistons that you thought were burnt?

Well I was doing the camshaft swap when i found the tops of my valve stems were a little beat up and wearing pretty rapidly, so i pulled the head bought some used valves and checked out the pistons. Also found out my injectors were bad because of the spray pattern that showed up on the piston. Then while changing the tappets I dropped one....so I said screw it I'm just going to yank the motor and rebuild the dang thing. It only took me about an hour and a half to pull the motor.

Final Summation: Im finding a ton of things wrong with this poor truck, and no cash to fix half of it. LOL so its a slow process

this makes me REALLY want to pull mine out and give it a check over.....my truck didnt have the best of care by the previous owner.....

GOOD CRAPP!!!!! found two cracks in my head that venture down into the valve seat.

The more I clean things up and look at them, the more problems I find.

Ever since that box showed up on my door step!! LOL

Im having a hard time keeping my dad convinced that performance is the way to go. He wants me to put it back to stock......yeah.....not happening!!

The more I work on it the more problems I dig up...and with that ate up bearing IDK how my crank survived. Ive always been awesome with the oil changes!! gah... Im becoming really frustrated with my truck right now. :soap:

Ive addressed things since I saw the 2000* and egts have slowed down a lot. I saw 2000 like twice. and that's about it. I got a slightly bigger turbo, and advanced the timing. The hottest ive gotten it since the turbo and timing is 1800ish, and that was 115ish mph. It really doesn't go over 1400 anymore. Unless I am 100mph and up.

And the thin air up here makes egt's wild to begin with.

Thanks for the criticism though. Anything to help improve this hunk-o-junk is appreciated!

21 deg of timing on a 155 deg pattern with cranked p&b's, correct?

And with out a benched pump i have less faith in your collective EGT reading.

Weston find anything with the injectors?

21 deg of timing on a 155 deg pattern with cranked p&b's, correct?

And with out a benched pump i have less faith in your collective EGT reading.

Weston find anything with the injectors?

21* of timing and cranked barrels came AFTER I saw those temperatures. When I advanced the timing and added the super 40 the egt's slowed waaay down. I quit staring at my EGT gauge and decided to concentrate on the road!!

3 of them popped and 3 didn't. really low pops, i cant remember off the top of my head though. they are fixed now.

Last edited:
mine just hit 300k.... now you got me tempted to pop my oil pan and start inspecting...

One oil squirter was broke, no telling how long it was like that. I wouldn't worry, but its always a good idea to check things out.

Jeez, I'm pulling my engine tomorrow I hope I don't find so much as you did. I just expect heat related issues in the head and rings.

Im taking full blame for my carnage. I am probably a little harder on things then other people. But its my fault all this stuff is breaking, I'm not going to try to pin it as some sort of anomaly that happened to me. Chances are your motor is just fine. Im just scaring you with a motor that's been run hard

Im taking full blame for my carnage. I am probably a little harder on things then other people. But its my fault all this stuff is breaking, I'm not going to try to pin it as some sort of anomaly that happened to me. Chances are your motor is just fine. Im just scaring you with a motor that's been run hard

i dont think you could be anywhere near as hard on stuff as people think i am LOL

I like to drive fast, run it hard, do a lot of testing and tuning. Before It got painted I took this thing everywhere. Mudding, big puddles, yanking really heavy objects. its had its fair share of abuse.... This thread is turning into a build type thread too

I forgot to mention I burned the clutch doing a 4th gear burnout... anyone know what it will cost to have a SB flywheel and disk redone? its the 450 hp model.

We will see today. Towing farm equipment isn't exactly taking it easy on things. I've spent a lot of time with the pyrometer right on 1200*. Sometimes more, as in a quarter inch past 1600*.

lol.... mine stays fairly close to the 750*-800+ range cruising.... and lots of time around the 1000-1100 mark...

hits *1600 like once a every few days too.... ahahhaha

waiting for my buddy to weld my flange and the 63/68/.85 goes on soon though... that should help out quite a bit.

here's hoping... should be bolting it up when i come home next... around the 12th. Yay, the joy of working new years.... AGAIN...

Spence, you should mic the crank and send the rods off to be checked for round. Trust me, even with those kind of miles with the way your bearings look my guess would be that your rods are out of round enough to have a tight spot with new bearings... You're not helping my anxiety that I should pull the engine in my truck as well :nail: I'm not even looking forward to pulling the head for a fresh gasket before I build my twins.

I like to drive fast, run it hard, do a lot of testing and tuning. Before It got painted I took this thing everywhere. Mudding, big puddles, yanking really heavy objects. its had its fair share of abuse.... This thread is turning into a build type thread too

I forgot to mention I burned the clutch doing a 4th gear burnout... anyone know what it will cost to have a SB flywheel and disk redone? its the 450 hp model.

:doh: dual disc man, dual disc LOL

Back