Carbon Fiber Work

Sorry. I came off wrong.

I was trying to say that using carbon fiber for looks was not my thing. I think carbon fiber is awesome stuff, and looks beautiful.

I just don't agree with spending money on carbon fiber mud flaps, fender flares, and floormats.

But like oldskool said it's a free country.

It's cool...we do misinterpret words in black and white but you seem like an upstanding person for apologizing...that is what makes this country great...freedom of speech. I also apologize for making the '73 pinto comment, I wasn't trying to stand on your nutz, just trying to make a point. Spending money on carbon fiber mud flaps would only be good for the seller...just sayin'

Here is some of the work a guy out here is doing. More to come his entire engine bay in this red ranger is getting carbon fiber trim panels and his cage is getting inserts.

Here is my dash that is close to being done. Still needs to be mounted and trim on dash secured.

2011-07-30173450.jpg

His completely CF wing that is done. The brackets are getting powder coated next week.

2011-07-30173517.jpg

That looks baller! He did a great job from what I see.

Here is some of the work a guy out here is doing. More to come his entire engine bay in this red ranger is getting carbon fiber trim panels and his cage is getting inserts.

Here is my dash that is close to being done. Still needs to be mounted and trim on dash secured.

2011-07-30173450.jpg

His completely CF wing that is done. The brackets are getting powder coated next week.

2011-07-30173517.jpg

Looks awesome! I always wanted to play with that stuff. I have a couple friends in the prosthetic industry. One guy made a bunch of stuff for his snowmobile.

Last I checked this is America and you can have carbon fiber on a '73 Pinto if you want...who cares if you have a fast smokey truck. The cost of good carbon fiber work will detract anyone from making trinkets however, if you want a carbon fiber look that is possible too, it's called hydrographics or commonly known as water transfer printing. I'm at work right now but when I get home I will post a couple pictures of the stuff I've done.

Hydrographics sample pics....as promised!

Attachments

• CBR1000RR5.jpg
    CBR1000RR5.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 0
  • kevbmw.jpg
    kevbmw.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 0
  • kevbmw7.jpg
    kevbmw7.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 0
  • kevbmw17.jpg
    kevbmw17.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 0
  • 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 0
Im in on the carbon fiber SRT-10 hood, interior pieces like a 4 gauge A-pillar pod. thinking through a few more thoughts

Last edited:
Im in on the carbon fiber SRT-10 hood, interior pieces like a 4 gauge A-pillar pod. Mind i running through a few more thoughts

I've actually been working on a carbon fiber A-pillar pod and let me tell ya, it's a B-otch! I can't get the carbon fiber to lay out right, the contour is so drastic the weave looks like it's got a mind of it's own. Its collecting dust as we type.

No but I will take one and post it just for you.

Ok, I finally got a few pics for you...PLEASE remember these are just for tooling...not the actual rendering of a part I would sell.

Attachments

• Apillarpodtool.jpg
    Apillarpodtool.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Apillarpodtool1.jpg
    Apillarpodtool1.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Apillarpodtool2.jpg
    Apillarpodtool2.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 0
That looks pretty cool, but I can see what you mean about the fiber.

Could you just do the a-pillar itself, then drill three holes in it, make each pod it's own piece, and use set screws to attach them to the a-pillar piece itself? So, the pillar would be a 4 piece kit with 1 a-pillar and 3 individual pods?

It might add extra work but I think it would be a pretty cool setup.

I will get more pics up as soon as I can. I got my photobucket account set up, now I just need time to get the pics loaded.

Latest on the stacks- molds completed, in the process of making the doublers and waiting on more carbon fiber to arrive. The design weave on this first stack is going to be a surprise and I think you guys will flip out when you see it. The resin manufacture assures me he has parts that are being used in temps up to 400 degrees...we will see. I have to go TDY next month for three weeks so please bare with me, I assure you, I'm not blowing smoke up your skurt on this but it still has to be tested first.

i dont see that being high enough. maybe for just a DD but not more. ive had a flame out my stack several times on my 12v, im sure the stack was seeing in excess of 400* EGTs.

Garrett

if you wanted the CF stack just for looks, it would work great with a 4" pipe inside and a 6 or 7" stack as a "cover" but this option wouldnt be much help if you were looking to save that extra 4-5 lbs on a race truck.

that is how I did the stack on my puller, but my reason was wanting 4" so the smoke came out of the stack with more fiorce, it looked cool, but was also easier to spot when the truck lost rpm when watching my videos, with just the 7" stack the smoke was just kinda rolling out.

That looks pretty cool, but I can see what you mean about the fiber.

Could you just do the a-pillar itself, then drill three holes in it, make each pod it's own piece, and use set screws to attach them to the a-pillar piece itself? So, the pillar would be a 4 piece kit with 1 a-pillar and 3 individual pods?

It might add extra work but I think it would be a pretty cool setup.

If you can picture, in your mind, on a flat panel the weave is straight and uniform. On these cups the weave stretches and shrinks and is very wavy.

I'll try to get more pics up. I do understand your idea of three separate cups and see no problem doing it. The only drawback I see is that the cups screwed down onto the OE pillar would look cumbersome in my opinion. My opinion matters not, if that's what you want that's what you will get...I am here to please.

My plan was to use the three cups pictured, temporally attach them to your OE pillar, smooth out the edges and mold it. This way the A-pillar will be vehicle specific.

I'm up in the panhandle...Ft Walton Bch. I talked with Ron at Suncoast today and told him we needed a test bed truck for making molds. It's all coming but will take some time. I have a couple priority projects going on right now and I have to go TDY (I work for the USAF) next month for three weeks so that is going to put me behind even more. I will try to put these dashes on the table to do as it seems this is a big problem with Dodge trucks.
I went TDY to Eglin several years ago. Nice place.

if you wanted the CF stack just for looks, it would work great with a 4" pipe inside and a 6 or 7" stack as a "cover" but this option wouldnt be much help if you were looking to save that extra 4-5 lbs on a race truck.

that is how I did the stack on my puller, but my reason was wanting 4" so the smoke came out of the stack with more fiorce, it looked cool, but was also easier to spot when the truck lost rpm when watching my videos, with just the 7" stack the smoke was just kinda rolling out.

That's the point of going with CF, saving weight. I agree on the cool factor to a certain extent, I'm more on function ability.

I have said before, a CF hood stack probably won't hold up to the heat but until shown otherwise, I remain positive that the stack will hold up in a bed mounted application. I can't wait to get these tested to find out.

How does the paint hold up on your stacks now? Is it painted, powder coated or ceramic coated? Just curious to how the finishes are holding up to the heat on your stacks now?

Back