Cummins billet rods

R&R on the left, Carrillo and Monotherm on the right.

EE15602C-9102-480A-AFE7-48A229ED87DF-2697-000001A938C828BB.jpg

Carrillo looks beefier. Is their much weight or material differences?

The Carrillo feels lighter to me, but I haven't had the time to weigh them individually. I believe there's a thread floating around on here though, with all of the different weights of each billet rod offering.

What T$ said! The carrillo's are the lightest I have found yet with the R&R I beam being second.

That would pretty much be our (TTS) specifications for material, so its already pretty well proven other than the I beam design but I have no reason to believe that there would be an issue with them. We worked with them (R&R) as they build a quality part for us and that's what counts. They build plenty of rods out of that material so it's not new to them. Our newer Cummins design is a little lighter but just as strong as our old design, and lighter than what you've stated there's is suppose to be.

Stock 12v weight - 2180 g
TTS old design weight - 2060 g
TTS new design weight - 1930 g

Carrillo looks beefier. Is their much weight or material differences?

H beam vs I beam. If the pic was taken from the side, it would appear to be the opposite. Either way, I feel that either rod is plenty capable of doing what 99.9% of people will do.

Now that I am making about 900 hp with my 06 Cummins, I am getting nervous that I will break the stock rods, so looking at options....No mention in this thread of Crower rods....any reason for this? Anyone have a bad opinion of Crower stuff for any reason? I can get a good price on them through my machine shop, and feel they are a good compromise as physical size vs. strength is better than something like a Cunningham. Want to order them asap, thoughts? opinions?

Now that I am making about 900 hp with my 06 Cummins, I am getting nervous that I will break the stock rods, so looking at options....No mention in this thread of Crower rods....any reason for this? Anyone have a bad opinion of Crower stuff for any reason? I can get a good price on them through my machine shop, and feel they are a good compromise as physical size vs. strength is better than something like a Cunningham. Want to order them asap, thoughts? opinions?

Crowers are heavier, but I would have no problems running them, they make good stuff.

I've run Crower for about the last 3 years. I haven't had any problems. They are heavy. They also do not have a oiling hole in the small end. Just make sure the wrist pins are fitted to Crower specs.

Paul

I was talking to a guy today... Didn't realize Carrillo's had two options on fasteners. Everyone running the "WMC" tool steel, or should a guy step up to the Carrillo custom fasteners?

I like to over build, but really, who has had problems with an off the shelf Carrillo?

I like to over build, but really, who has had problems with an off the shelf Carrillo?

i will not say who, what, or where, but yes there have been issue's with some off the shelf rods...

Also the failures depends on the engine used as well

I have not seen or heard of any cummins failures with the standard bolts. I have heard claims of failures on a D-Max but not seen anything to support the claims.

Anyone else here that would NOT recommend Carrillos with standard fasteners besides honey douche badger over there? Less than 1500hp on 5.9 CR. May break 5k rpm but not on a regular basis.

Anyone else here that would NOT recommend Carrillos with standard fasteners besides honey douche badger over there? Less than 1500hp on 5.9 CR. May break 5k rpm but not on a regular basis.

I would not recommend a rod that didn't use at least a 1/2" rod bolt for that application.

Back