Custom 2Gen Crew Cab! How to do it?

Sounds like an interesting idea!

So you're not going to add a full size door, but instead you're going to extend the cab back to were it meets the new short box.

That sounds really easy compared to trying to add two new doors. Should give all the room in the world back there. Can't wait to see the outcome!

Are the quad cab rear side panel same contour (where tha back door ends) as extended cab same side panel.?
attachment.php

attachment.php

To fully understand my idea, here is the picture from the first page:

attachment.php

Attachments

• extended cab.JPG
    extended cab.JPG
    22.5 KB · Views: 0
  • quadcab.JPG
    quadcab.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Well it looks like i am few weeks late on this topic but i just found it so i figure i would chime in. I got a wild hair in me when i crashed my truck 2.5 years ago and decided to take on the crew cab project. I had never seen a crew cab in real life. I was going off of pictures i found on the internet. Its been a lot of trial and error. I have spent a lot of time trying things out that didnt work. I drove my truck to bayers shop and he looked at what i had done and quoted me 5 grand to finish it. Not too bad considering they get 20 grand to do it start to finish. I would have done it, but i didnt like the way i was treated when i was there. I had drove 1.5 hours to get there and he wouldnt even give me 20 mins to talk. I dont know if it was becouse i am 23 and he figured i didnt have the money or what. And i couldnt get a defent answer on what all was going to be done for 5 grand. All he said was he would put a window in it that whent up and down. No paint. No interior.
I started out all wrong. I made a door and was going to get a window to fit in the door. You have to built your door around the window you plan on using. Bayer had a custom window made and all there custom peices are staped out of steel. My hats off to them. They have the best look out of all that i have seen but i dont have 20 grand to spend. Nor do alot of other people.
so i changed it up. This is what it looks like with the new window.
View attachment 13069

View attachment 13070
THe bottom half of the door is a dodge door that is sectioned down. The top half and window is that of a mid 90s chevy suburban/crew cab door. It gives it a little diffrent look, but i think that it fits in well. Over time it grows on you. I got the idea from this pic of a truck i found on the internet a few years a go. Its a regular cab truck that had a reskined suburaban door fabed onto the back.
View attachment 13068
I have been working on crew cab conversion for the 3rd winter now. I work constrution in the summer and work on the truck in the winter when i get laid off. The lost a lot of time with trying things that didnt work out. My advice would be to get a diffrent cab and work on that. That way when the cab is done, stretch the frame on your truck and set it one. The least amount of donw time.
As far as the pillar goes. It started out as 5in channel iron then got switched out to 3in channel iron. I dont know about you but i dont want to be in any truck that rolls over but that 3in channel iron is beefer then any pillar i have seen in any production truck.
Thanks to all that have help out with showing pics of there crew cab.
Keep thinking outside of the box. There is nothing that is impossible.
i have a few week on the drivers side then about a month on the passengers side and the truck will be ready for paint! I will get some more pics out then.

Eric

Would be nice to see how this conversion turned out.

Scott

Are the quad cab rear side panel same contour (where tha back door ends) as extended cab same side panel.?
attachment.php

attachment.php

No they are not, it is easy to get around though.

To fully understand my idea, here is the picture from the first page:

attachment.php

On the quad cab, go reawards 27mm of the rear door opening on the exterior panel and cut.

On the club can go back 3-5mm from the door opening and cut.

When assembling, over lap the club section with the 27mm flap of the quad.

On the floor and roof leave about 50mm of overlap. Any joints inside need to be lapped NO BUTT WELDS.

Any progress on this idea. Nothing like reviving an old thread.

This idea hit me again... :doh:, this might happen if You have to be in business trip and You are stuck to hotel ..
Some of You knew my latest buy : My new project : save the 99 - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together , so-called Project Save the -99

If I can get the ClubCab spare parts truck reasonable price, I will convert the 99 Ram to QuadCab-ClubCab hybrid short bed

I have nothing to loose, If I scew up, I can still use those tucks as spare part donors :lolly:

I found from Internet nice Suburban/Excursion style 2Gen Ram picture

:pop:

dscn0064av0.jpg

The SUV Ram is next level from home made Crew Cab

yea, I know what you mean. I'm so ready to get this thing running right. I've had pump issues, and haven't driven it much. Hopefully it will be pulling my other truck to NADM in Denton this October.

Here's another pic of mine. Anybody that tackles this conversion and completes it is a badass. I can't imagine all the man hours involved.

CrewCab.jpg

Wow, I'm really diggin it. That looks like a factory built truck. I like the dimensions a lot more than the other conversions. Well done!

Back