Dmax breakage at SDX

bluthndr

Not trying to troll here. Even though I am a Cummins fan, I do like the underdog, and like to see the V8 trucks do good.

There were definitely some good running duramaxes, but I swear 80% of them broke going down the track. Before everyone jumps on the "duramaxes are junk" bandwagon - most (all?) of the breakage did not appear to be engine or turbo - more like driveline stuff. What gives? I would figure that driveline-wise all the trucks are pretty similar terms of driveline?

Also, to hijack my own thread - where was Ben Miller's Double Overtime? That truck is awesome to watch run. As usual, most of the SS trucks with Schied or Haisley stickers made me want to laugh out loud and stand up and cheer in response to their awesomeness. Too bad "Alter Ego" ran off to the side - it looked like he was going to take the sled all the way home. My 5-year old loved the Hulk paint job too.

I think it just seems like duramaxs break more since out of 75+ trucks 80% are Cummins

Tie rod failures are probably most of what you saw. Guy hops in his 4wd and thinks he can just so rowdy 4hi launches and push a bunch of power through his IFS

Autos are harder on drive line parts shifting under heavy load. How many dmaxes are sticks.

Autos are harder on drive line parts shifting under heavy load. How many dmaxes are sticks.

I agree with the shifting being a problem but most trucks start in 3rd and if they have the power shift to 4th but if they have the defuel and shift set right it isnt to bad

Bad luck and a not so good track? Friday night the Duramax trucks didn't break and won. Saturday night different lane and more 2.6 driveline carnage all around.

Sent from My phone while the Boss wasn't looking.

For the size of the field there was hardly any carnage in both qualifying and finals on Friday. The track can only take so much abuse. More and more folks are going to manuals in the dmaxs. I know most of the Danville guys besides Will are running ZFs. Evan Davis has a manual too, not sure if it's a ZF. There are more I just can't think of them off the top of my head.

Davis has a ZF. Lots of people say he has an NV but that's not true. There was lots of breakage on Saturday night but it wasn't just the dmaxs, though several of them did, and it wasn't just your normal R&P. The track had a lot of bite in it and some bumps but the bumps weren't that bad. It seemed like a lot of yoke failures and t-case breakage. One dodge even broke a wheel bearing and that's way out of the norm.

Good point about the autos vs sticks. I bet that's a lot of it, as the ones I noticed mostly seemed to break at the end of the track about where the auto trucks downshift.

It was definitely the most breakage I've seen overall in a long time at a pull. Then again, probably the highest number of hooks in that amount of time I have ever seen.

Good point about the autos vs sticks. I bet that's a lot of it, as the ones I noticed mostly seemed to break at the end of the track about where the auto trucks downshifted

Most don't downshift at the end, they just unlock the converter. And some don't even do that anymore.
To me it seemed like there was drive line failure for both brands evenly all weekend. Just not as many dmaxes out there, so it made it seem like most of them broke.

There were plenty of dodge parts on the track Saturday. :D

Hard to compare when 97-99% the field of 86 or whatever 2.6's are dodges.

The "Cummin's Killer" truck impressed me. I'm trying to load a video of it now...dayum photobucket.

Last edited:
Davis has a ZF. Lots of people say he has an NV but that's not true.

I heard a rumor he was changing the name of the truck next year from Outta Line to Outta Bounds :poke:

One dodge even broke a wheel bearing and that's way out of the norm.

Ben sure did tear a bunch of stuff up. I know he tore up more than just a wheel bearing. I believe he had some other front end damage tore up a u-joint and the rear drive shaft.

The Caged Hooker broke....
rear ring and pinion
rear billet yoke
rear drive shaft
transfer case main shaft
left front cv shaft
left front hub assy
right front slide collar
right front stub axle

Got is back together by 8:00 Saturday morning.
Thanks to all the guys that helped
Merchant
Fleece
Craig
Mathews and his boys

Qualified 4th on sat to run in finals again and broke rear ring and pinion again.......

Rough weekend

Back