Dmax breakage at SDX

Well, I'm about the smallest fish there is in the pulling world. But I have never agreed with 2 things, complete lack of back lash, and running a gear set that hard without breaking it in.

I'm sure some guys with solid experience will scoff at my thoughts on the matter. But has anyone tried breaking the gear sets in some how instead of instantly torturing them?

Either way, if you guys are waxing that money is your current supplier giving you a bulk rate ? :D

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

On the last ring and pinion, jacked the rear up on stands ran the rear in overdrive for a total of 10 hours ( over the course of a few weekends) to break the gears in. This was done over the off season but have yet to break it since ... SRW truck tho

I wouldn't be concerned about their ability to build a track.

It isn't their ability, more over what they have to work with.
I have seen 2 venues where they build extraordinary tracks(Mound City KS, and Platte City MO)

However at the other venues not so much.

Rob or Tim can confirm, but I still think they were getting ring and pinions on the SRW setup.

There were a few dodges that ran the outlaws as well and I think they were still getting R&P as well. The SRW does seem to help the longevity of a R&P but doesn't seem to allow to run a season on the same one.

On the last ring and pinion, jacked the rear up on stands ran the rear in overdrive for a total of 10 hours ( over the course of a few weekends) to break the gears in. This was done over the off season but have yet to break it since ... SRW truck tho

Interesting idea, but you just put 10Hrs on your pulling engine.

I think rig up a 3 HP lawn mower engine and let it eat! LOL

Anyone ever try a set of polished ring and pinion gears? There is a type of bead vibrator that uses a special plastic or glass bead media and you put the parts in and it vibrates. Takes all the machining stress risers out of the part. I guess nascar does this with a lot of their r&p, cams, pistons, various engine and drive train components. Makes them a mirror like finish without using an abrasive grinding type device.

Sent from my fphone

I wouldn't be concerned about their ability to build a track.

Right before the diesel trucks pulled at the State Fair in DM this year, they had just tore up the track and dumped a bunch of water down before rebuilding the track during intermission.. So I'd say for the 1 outlaw hook I saw this year they did pretty good.

But, the caliber of trucks wasn't the best IMO. A few didn't run right though that are strong trucks. One qualified 10th at Schieds on Friday running duals, but ran singles for Outlaw.

The "cummins killer" I have to admit is quite impressive. But it's built to be impressive, I guess I love an underdog and when you look at that creature once known as a truck, it should be obvious that the thing is no longer a true truck, it's a pure bred badass with a truck body. Lol

Where did Marlow finish at the State Fair?

Not exact sure of his placing, he didn't spin out, looked like clutch problems to me.

Got it on video. He's at the 55 sec mark.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpR2sMX5jo0"]Outlaw 2 6 Diesel Trucks at the 2013 Iowa State Fair 8/14/2013 - YouTube[/ame]

yeah not many real good tracks left on the Outlaw circuit, unfortunately.
Ia state fair, place where they measured hitches was off to where you could raise hitch an inch above norm, recipe for bouncing, as far as I can see.
2.6 guys need to put there foot down and go with 106 rockwell in the rear minimum and quit throwing money down the drain, but stockcars guys have a claimer rule, so I guess that is stupider!

Anyone ever try a set of polished ring and pinion gears? There is a type of bead vibrator that uses a special plastic or glass bead media and you put the parts in and it vibrates. Takes all the machining stress risers out of the part. I guess nascar does this with a lot of their r&p, cams, pistons, various engine and drive train components. Makes them a mirror like finish without using an abrasive grinding type device.

Sent from my fphone

Rem Processing or something like that. One of my Buddies just had it done for a customers truck. Its supposed to free up some horsepower.

Him and I were having this conversation not to long ago, talking about how it would be advantageous to break a gear set in, then send it out to be REM processed. But obviously the amount of work involved is questionable as to whether it would add enough longevity to be worth while.

The first i heard about it was from Wally at FTE diesel. He is a local shop to me and invested in this equipment years ago. I've seen the finished product and the pieces look incredible, they were telling me about all the NASCAR teams and the parts that get this treatment for this same purpose.

Sent from my fphone

You cant protect any parts from improper install no matter what you do to them though..

Sent from my fphone

You can still buy a lot of gears to get to the cost to jump to 3.0

from talking to randy at proformance pros i think some guys have more money in their 2.6 driveline than some 3.0 trucks

for a duramax i cant see the engine/turbo program from 2.6 to 3.0 being must different cost wise. custom charger, built motor, a/w, etc...

and a built allison with billet shafts is more money than a dropbox and reverser.

custom rear axles seem like they're getting to be a wash $ too.

Last edited:
Back