Does anyone have a problem with me running a hand throttle on my 2.6 truck?

I object! But then again I don't pull.

LOL I do like the Midget Idea though!

Build it Josh if an organization won't allow it or someone complains they don't deserve the chance to have you pull with or against them!

I am really trying to think how this would work.
I know the vehicles set up for paraplegics I had seen had a single lever that tied into the accelerator and brake. You would push forward to apply the brake and then rotate a lever that was about 12 inches long clockwise to apply the throttle.

I am just trying to envision the hand throttle, as it needs to be spring returned and it seems like it would get in the way.

The lever was operated with the right hand. I am wondering if you could mod that lever to operate with your left hand. Then you could steer and do the shift with your right.

Also put the lockup switch on the above throttle might simplify things.

Were you not planning on using a spring returned hand throttle Josh?

I am really trying to think how this would work.
I know the vehicles set up for paraplegics I had seen had a single lever that tied into the accelerator and brake. You would push forward to apply the brake and then rotate a lever that was about 12 inches long clockwise to apply the throttle.

I am just trying to envision the hand throttle, as it needs to be spring returned and it seems like it would get in the way.

The lever was operated with the right hand. I am wondering if you could mod that lever to operate with your left hand. Then you could steer and do the shift with your right.

Also put the lockup switch on the above throttle might simplify things.

Were you not planning on using a spring returned hand throttle Josh?

I lay awake at night trying to figure this stuff out too. Josh and I both are paras. I look forward to seeing what Josh comes up with, as I might copy it sometime in the future. :D

How bout this, I know there is a CORR off road racer named Evan Evans who is also Para. His Throttle and brake are on one right hand lever. You push forward for the brake and the throttle uses a twist grip like on a dirt bike or motor cycle. This way he can still spool up with the brake. As for the shifting, go with a manual valve body, use the air shift on a button on the steering wheel, you may even possibly rig up another air shifter on the reverse side so that you can hit another button and it will down shift. Only other thing that might be difficult is finding a full ratchet shifter, one that ratchets from park to 1st instead of a Gate/Ratchet combo shifter. I guess you would say its more of a shifter that you would find on a motorcycle or 4 wheeler.

Well after watching the video just now, everything I just said was basically already explained lol. Sorry for the dumbness lol.

How bout this, I know there is a CORR off road racer named Evan Evans who is also Para. His Throttle and brake are on one right hand lever. You push forward for the brake and the throttle uses a twist grip like on a dirt bike or motor cycle. This way he can still spool up with the brake. As for the shifting, go with a manual valve body, use the air shift on a button on the steering wheel, you may even possibly rig up another air shifter on the reverse side so that you can hit another button and it will down shift. Only other thing that might be difficult is finding a full ratchet shifter, one that ratchets from park to 1st instead of a Gate/Ratchet combo shifter. I guess you would say its more of a shifter that you would find on a motorcycle or 4 wheeler.

Well after watching the video just now, everything I just said was basically already explained lol. Sorry for the dumbness lol.

Yaaahhhhh, you figured out how to use the intranets...Just screwin with ya...

Do the shifting just like they do, with the ring...

If you look at a standard setup for a parapalegic it is just that minus the twist throttle. U press down for the brake, and with the same lever swing a 12" or so rod clockwise parallel to the steering column. They tie into the existing pedals. It has been years but I have driven one and I could see it working pretty well. Only thing would be move it to the left hand, then you could use the right hand to run the shifter still.

Hand Controls

Here is a video I posted a couple years ago. These are the hand controls that I use in my daily driver. I have this same setup in my puller. I found a used set on ebay. They would work ok but since I have to hold the brake to build boost at the line, it prohibits me from giving it throttle since my left knee is in the way.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQLzLDwGx08

Here is a video I posted a couple years ago. These are the hand controls that I use in my daily driver. I have this same setup in my puller. I found a used set on ebay. They would work ok but since I have to hold the brake to build boost at the line, it prohibits me from giving it throttle since my left knee is in the way.

Mod the handle to clear your knee. What side are you planning on putting the hand throttle on? Are you not planning on making it a spring return throttle to idle throttle?

You can't get your knee out of the way?? LOL

I can powerbrake the heck out of my truck, and my knee doesn't get in the way...

You should be able to rig up a motorcycle air shifter setup pretty easy I'd think.

Josh can't you just extend the one bar so when you hold the brake and build boost? Don't know clearence or angle restrictions.

Josh are you going to use a hob switch for lock up? btw these ross pistons have your name on them, are you ready for them?

Last edited:
You can't get your knee out of the way?? LOL

I can powerbrake the heck out of my truck, and my knee doesn't get in the way...

You should be able to rig up a motorcycle air shifter setup pretty easy I'd think.

The way it is setup in my Dmax I can do it if I resituate myself in the seat before doing it. I have been thinking about modifying the existing hand controls so it will clear everything (I'll probably have to fabricate a new handle), running the lockup off of a hobbs switch, and having a button on the steering wheel that would bump the ratchet shifter forward.

Mod the handle to clear your knee. What side are you planning on putting the hand throttle on? Are you not planning on making it a spring return throttle to idle throttle?

The first thing I thought about was using a throttle with no return spring, something similar to what you would find on a farm tractor, but thats definitely not the safest route to go. If I did it I would keep my existing brake setup, use a spring returned throttle with a button on top to bump the shifter forward.

Josh are you going to use a hob switch for lock up? btw these ross pistons have your name on them, are you ready for them?

Yep. Planning on using a hobbs switch. Pistons? I know not what you speak of :evil

Believe me when I say I've went through 1000 setups in my head. Basically it boils down to me just needing an extra arm LOL

I've also thought about hooking up a 4wd line lock, but I'm not sure how well it would work. Then I could just set the brakes once I got the chain tight, use one hand to steer and one hand to operate the hand throttle which would have to have 2 buttons, one to release the line lock and one to operate the shifter.

Or how about I just swap to a manual with a glider clutch haha.

Last edited:
Do like Evan Evans does his...Push forward for brake, rev it up with hand throttle and then use a thumb button to activate a solenoid on a reverse lockout shifter like posted before to upshift it when needed...You can put it in and out of reverse with your hand...

only down side to that is if he ever needs to down shift when the pan hits or if he bounces hard enough and accedentally hits the up shift button too soon and snuffs the charger mid track. Even with a down shift soleniod, I don't see how you could mount the soleniod and air ram on the reverse side of the shifter when using a Gate/Ratchet combo shifter. Like I said in order to do that he would need to find a full ratchet shifter that does not have a park, ntr,dr,and ratchet possition.

The only other alternative I see is to go all out and get an air shifted Lenco setup with each shift point on a timer or RPM switch lol

I got a solution josh. Come and run full season with KOTTPA, we allow riders as long as they have a fire suit and helment. No need for a midget with us lol.

Back