DT466 superduty DD build

Mtblanca

The build has started and I thought I would share the journey here. The truck is a 2002 crew cab srw with 6" lift and 37s, the 7.3 has been sold off and I now have a '87 466 with a 5spd spicer as well as an Allison mt653 for options. I also have a 180 ppump that DPE will be receiving to go through bench and reseal for a conversion and new injectors also supplied by DPE. I'm currently seeking a s4 in the 66-70mm area with a 1.00 housing. The truck will be my daily driver as well as sled puller and tower. I plan to run water vs an IC due to personal preference. Im seeking a np205 divorced as well. The cab comes off tomorrow(6/10) to remove the 7.3, the progress pictures will be posted as often as I can. Stock differentials for now until the powertrain is complete and dialed in then i will be sourcing a Dana 80 for sled pulling. Hope you folks enjoy. Thanks for looking and stay tuned!

Whats ur suggestion? I haven't made any purchases as far as the transfer goes.

A 205 would be completely foolish, a 466 will blow that thing to pieces in no time. Get an NP271/273 and be done with it.

Agreed. Have to be custom made but a conversion kit for an NP271 divorced and a Fuller FSO6406 would be my plan.

A chain drive transfer case will not ever be in this build. But if you know an np205 won't take it I sure will look into other gear driven setups. If I need a Dana 300 or monster box then I will head that route. But chain drive is not an option.

A chain drive transfer case will not ever be in this build. But if you know an np205 won't take it I sure will look into other gear driven setups. If I need a Dana 300 or monster box then I will head that route. But chain drive is not an option.

Why the aversion to chain drive? the 271/273 is a rock solid case with a great history and millions of heavy duty miles. They're behind everything from f-250s to f-550s, there is good aftermarket support, you can run it with a fixed or slip yoke, has a GVW rating of 17,500 lbs, has a max capacity torque of 7890 lbs and weighs in at 120 lbs. its a big beefy case.

Why are you so attached to running a gear drive t-case?

Well this is the real deal and a real build. If you guys think my stock np273 will take it I will use it.

Considering an NP205 will chit its guts on the pavement behind a 360ci cummins engine.....

The input torque rating on a 205 is 1500ft/lb, an np271 is rated at 5500ft/lb. I seen a truck destroy 5 Dana S110 rear axles an still had a stock np273 ticking away.

Ok. I was Ill informed about the 205. Makes life that much more simple if I can use my exist

I picture gear drive not stretching @ 2000 lb/ft of torque

If you spend any amount of time over on the hardcore offroad sites like Pirate4x4, you will learn that stretching the case is exactly what that 205 does. Gasser pulling trucks have been blowing them apart for years with a fraction of the torque any stout diesel has.

The chain is incredibly strong. Will it take 2000 ft-lb? I doubt it, but then again nor will any other stock 1-ton t-case available (for very long, anyways). If you're really seriously gonna hit that number, you may want to go to something seriously big. The 271/273 has been living in some very high hp stock driveline pulling trucks and doing well.

Having the DT will keep you out of just about every sanctioned pulling class except modified / RWYB / 8000 open anyway so you might as well put some rockwell axles and driveline to match, and streeting it should be real fun....please take videos and report back.

Last edited:
The input torque rating on a 205 is 1500ft/lb, an np271 is rated at 5500ft/lb.

The chain is incredibly strong. Will it take 2000 ft-lb? I doubt it, but then again nor will any other stock 1-ton t-case available (for very long, anyways).

I'm pretty sure that the 5500 input is in 2wd, and that becomes like 1900ish in 4lo. Either way, the weak link with an NV271 is going to be something else in the drive train.

I'm pretty sure that the 5500 input is in 2wd, and that becomes like 1900ish in 4lo. Either way, the weak link with an NV271 is going to be something else in the drive train.

I agree, and aside from the rating (who knows exactly the conditions under which the rating is valid)....when I think of DT466s that make 2000 ft-lb, they're mean enough that I don't think any pickup-sized driveline is going to take it for long.

I seriously doubt a 2000 ft-lb 466 cu in p-pumped diesel is even close to street driveable, but the OP can dream if he wants to....LOL

I can dream? Dmax- do some more research. I'm hands on at the moment and building this very second. If you care to speak with Rodney owner of dpe that builds these engines it would save you from looking like a fool. I was simply informed wrong with t case info and have listened and agree to run the 273. Now on the other hand I know a small amount about engines and have a large amount of common sense, that starts with calling and meeting with the best in the business. I met with Rodney from DPE and speak with Seth nearly every day, please give them a call and tell them 2k tq is not streetable lol. Butchered more why don't you clue me in on the fuel volume needed for the power I'm going to reach, humor me lets just see what YOU know. Clearly my post count has you fooled. Lmao happy trails time to move forward with this build.

Oh and wet sleeves can bring me to 460 cubes if I wanted to spend the quid And be legal. BUT this is a personal challenge and for work, business, and novelty so maby a 525 cube setup would be even better. But anyhow dream on with your own dream build while I continue with my actual legit build. All pics and videos will be posted as time presents itself. Thanks for following.

I'm 31 and own my own shop y where you going with that question lol I can hardly wait

Back