Dynojet V. Mustang?

n8ick

Electron Pimp
A few people have told me that a Dynojet and Mustang dyno will give some different numbers. I just ran this weekend on a dynojet in Cleveland on a hot muggy day and got 307/637.

2000 F350, Auto, 4x4, 5" exhaust, TS 6-pos chip, AFE stage 1 intake.

Are these numbers in the ball park? Why is the HP curve so flat? Do you think the #'s would change on a mustang dyno?

F350_Dyno_lowres.jpg

From my experience the Mustangs are the Forest Gump of dynos.

"you never know WHAT you're going to get..."

I've always been able to get the same numbers going from one inertial dynojet to another, but Mustangs? All over the place, even at the same shop with a different guy running it.

This ain't to say the Mustang is not a good dyno, just saying that I stopped using them because I would get different numbers all the time.

Those numbers seem inline with what other owners with similar mods report.

What settings on your TS did you dyno with?

Did you try the 100 setting? Most guys actually dyno less power and slower quarter times on the 140 setting than they do the 100. The 140 is really designed to go along with modifications other than just a stock truck.

Have not tried it on the rollers yet. Next time i go on the dyno, I would like to try some of the other settings.

I just dynoed on a mustang a couple weeks ago. I did 380 on a dyno jet a long time ago and then did 466 on mustang after twins and a built pump. I guess I needed that 80 extra hp to pick up a second and a half..... Mustang numbers dont make any sense to me...

Dynojets are essentially idiot-proof, the computer knows the circumference, and weight or mass of the roller, measures acceleration and spits out a number. Unfortunatly with eddy current type load dynos there are alot of factors that can change the outcome of your session.....the biggest is the weight of your vehicle, if they punch in 7300#'s, but you only weigh 7100, then your number isnt worth the paper its printed on!!

I know when we do our Dyno days, we ask the owner of the truck how much it weighs. This way that part of the equation is all on the owner. I belive that the numbers we had at the spring dyno day, compared to the numbers at the Summer one, were fairly close. Some of the repeat trucks that had not modified their trucks since the first one, put down almost the same numbers....I think. I'll have to look at the numbers again and see. I was explained to once about what the big difference is between the two dyno's, but I don't remember what that was right now.

CumminAtYa said:
Did you try the 100 setting? Most guys actually dyno less power and slower quarter times on the 140 setting than they do the 100. The 140 is really designed to go along with modifications other than just a stock truck.

I like what you said here.... I have never dyno'd my Ferd but I notice she runs better (seat of the pants) in the 100HP tune than the Fuel 7.

So I will support this statement with no facts to back it up.

JacktheBear3 said:
I like what you said here.... I have never dyno'd my Ferd but I notice she runs better (seat of the pants) in the 100HP tune than the Fuel 7.

So I will support this statement with no facts to back it up.
I never dyno'd my 99 with my TS chip, but I noticed that it ran better on the 100 than 140 as well. I only used the 140 for smoke blowing.

I was once told by a shop owner with a dynojet that mustang approached dynojet to write/provide the software for the mustang. Dynojet refused (of course). So they had to compromise. "Forrest Gump" of dynos is a good analogy for the mustang.

It seems the mustang generally gives numbers skewed to the high side. So they're good for the ego, though not necessarily accurate.

-Jay

Seems to me that acceleration dynos have a hard time getting big turbos to light....

Just as a casual observer. I've never seen a mech pump truck put down a strong run on a dynojet either. But I've only ever seen 1 dynojet run diesel trucks.

oldschoolPSD said:
Seems to me that acceleration dynos have a hard time getting big turbos to light....

Just as a casual observer. I've never seen a mech pump truck put down a strong run on a dynojet either. But I've only ever seen 1 dynojet run diesel trucks.
I know John_P will jump on this one with a video, but I've seen rather large-ish turbos light on dynojets. More often than not, it's driver & setup error if they're not spooling...

Last edited:
JGK said:
I was once told by a shop owner with a dynojet that mustang approached dynojet to write/provide the software for the mustang. Dynojet refused (of course). So they had to compromise. "Forrest Gump" of dynos is a good analogy for the mustang.

It seems the mustang generally gives numbers skewed to the high side. So they're good for the ego, though not necessarily accurate.

-Jay

I don't think I agree with all that. I'm no expert on dyno's, but what I do know is when we hold our dyno days on a local mustang dyno, the numbers put off are almost 20% less than the dynojets.... This coming from people who have dynoed on both types of dyno's. I like to think the guys at TI Dyno are getting closer to figuring out how to get the most outta the Mustang dyno. Our last event a rep. from Mustang Dyno was suppose to be there, but had family issues, and couldn't show up. I'm hoping that he shows up for the final dyno day n October. I heard somewhere that the Mustang dyno's are more consitant.....I dunno if that is true or not, but I have heard that from a couple people lookin' to buy a dyno. Again I don't know how true that is, but is just what I've heard.

Ha! I'll put my hear-say up against your hear-say any day! :poke:

Aint hear-say a wonderful thing?

-Jay

CumminAtYa said:
I never dyno'd my 99 with my TS chip, but I noticed that it ran better on the 100 than 140 as well. I only used the 140 for smoke blowing.

I only get an initial big black puff on 140, then the turbo lights and away we go. Pretty much the same thing on the 100hp setting, just less smoke in the big puff.

I talked to a few guys who dont really like the 140 setting and they have a manual trans. It is a great tune on my truck and alot of fun to drive. Very hard to keep my foot out of it.

sorry to wake this thread back up again guys... i spent almost 2 hours on a mustang this afternoon, and made some somewhat interesting observations.

after reading this thread before going into dyno my truck on its current build level(and having only used a dynojet before), i was definitely skeptical about the accuracy of the numbers i was going to get after the smoke cleared this afternoon.

load dyno's have a lot more to offer, and thats a fact. i agree 100% with ramtd02 and crzycoyboy about dynojets being 100% fool proof. its hard to screw up using the dynojet; though it seems like some shops think that you should be in 1:1 transmission gearing, while others believe that you should be in highest gear. the arguements have been made and both are legitimate, and its understood that our f-in-huge turbos have a hard time lighting if there is no resistance.

now that ive spent the time on the mustang, i see why numbers *CAN* and *DO* fluctuate so much. the mustangs are far from idiot proof, and definitely not user friendly, it seems. they have a plethora of settings and parameters that need to be filled for each vehicle individually, and take a lot more into consideration. while i was tinkering with my programming, the dyno operator was tinkering with his programming, so that after almost 10 pulls, we finally matched as far as a fair measurement, where the roller resistance values were correct(not too tight or loose) and we were taking readings from the correct gear, at the correct wheel speed, correct RPM. i could see how an inexperienced operator; or even an experienced one with minimal computer skills will constantly have issues being able to make their dyno credible; and my experience today was definitely proof to me of this. the options available within the software are almost as abundant as in my high $$ A/V editing software on my computer(that took me over a year to finally learn all of the tricks it had)

i believe that the mustang has the ABILITY to be a lot more accurate, reliable, and consistent, but their operators need to be trained a whole lot better; or the mustang software needs to become more user friendly. it looks like ill be off to another 1 or 2 different dyno's to check the accuracy of my numbers... nonetheless as it stands, im totally happy with how my truck performed today and what i got for numbers.

Last edited:
Back