Dynojet V. Mustang?

Wow! 10 pulls. If you don't mind, I'd like the name of the shop that did your dynoing. TI Dyno has a mustang dyno, and he is always tring to get his dyno dialed in just right to give all the owners of the trucks good fair pulls. I'd like to have him talk to the guys you worked with, to see if they could share notes on how to get these big ol turbo's to light!! You can PM me the info if you don't mind. Thanks for your help!!

I prefer Superflow myself. Measure torque, calculate horsepower end of story, and VERY repeatable. Calibrate the TQ sensor with 100# on a 5' arm (500 lb/ft) and you are as accurate as can be.

Of course I will also say that with any dyno there is a LOT to do with the dyno operator...

joefarmer said:
I know John_P will jump on this one with a video, but I've seen rather large-ish turbos light on dynojets. More often than not, it's driver & setup error if they're not spooling...

Nobody like a smartass, Brandon

crzycowboy said:
Wow! 10 pulls. If you don't mind, I'd like the name of the shop that did your dynoing. TI Dyno has a mustang dyno, and he is always tring to get his dyno dialed in just right to give all the owners of the trucks good fair pulls. I'd like to have him talk to the guys you worked with, to see if they could share notes on how to get these big ol turbo's to light!! You can PM me the info if you don't mind. Thanks for your help!!
sure thing; and sorry for the lengthy post. it seemed like only 2 or 3 of the 10ish pulls i did were only for calibration; the other 7 were legitimate ones. where i was screwing with my smarty/comp tuning to squeeze out the last bit of power i could.
The dyno is located at Screamin' Diesel Service in Sparks,NV. it seems like they get more accurate and better at using it as time goes on. when they first installed it a couple years ago, they could barely operate it and couldnt make sense of the results they got. it's charts produced spiked #'s constantly. now after them having it there for 2 years, it seems like theyre getting better, but not awesome at it yet. i have a feeling that they dont see many medium-high HP and modded diesels.. they seemed almost a little TOO impressed by my mediocre numbers

Thanks. I'm goin to talk to Kevin (TI Dyno) tonight, and tell him to see if he can get a hold of these guys, and maybe share notes. The biggest numbers we had on TI Dyno's Mustang Dyno was 580 HP/ 1313 tq.

stupid question is a mustang dyno a load dyno? There is a dynojet around here, and they could not get a p-pumped twin turbo to light, 360/680?

banshee said:
Nobody like a smartass, Brandon
Huh? That's a compliment to JohnP- he ran the large turbos on a dynojet, not me. I only run one large turbo.

Dynojet to compare numbers against other trucks. IE a Dyno Day.

Mustang or a Superflow or a Dyno Dynamics to tune a truck for the real world.

How many big rigs have you seen certified on an inertia dyno?

THE TANK said:
stupid question is a mustang dyno a load dyno? There is a dynojet around here, and they could not get a p-pumped twin turbo to light, 360/680?
correct; mustangs are load dynos, with variable resistance at different speeds based on computer settings. i constantly see trucks have issues lighting their turbos(twins included) on an inertia dyno also... its quite common

thanks pizziLLA. does the weight have anything to do with the readings, they dynoed me in with heavy trucks 7500+, mine only weights 6100 with me in it?

Yes....weight does play a factor. The operator should ask you if you know the total weight of the truck before he dyno's you.

Vehicle weight matters on a mustang dyno.

But vehicle weight does NOT matter on a dynojet. Dynojets are simple, and because they are simple they are very, very repeatable. Basically, the faster you can accelerate the rollers (which are a known and constant weight), the more power you are making.

Even though we have a dynojet, i will be the first to admit that if a truck has a charger/chargers that don't light well, it is hard to get a big number on a dynojet. Real laggy setups (like the pulling truck you are mentioning) won't light on a dynojet very well. But that isn't simply because it is a p-pump or because it has twins. Many p-pumped twin trucks will light just fine on a dynojet if they are set up to well. John P's 800+ hp dodge and richards 1000+ hp ford (with 12v), among many garmon trucks come to mind. But don't ever expect to see a scheid pulling truck show up on a dynojet. Just isn't the right tool for the job.

Just my 2 cents.

Chris

I was just asking if weight made a difference, I thought that blue and silver dually had a good setup. It pulls good anyway, it would not light on that dynojet.

and C-hawk you can turn a 1st gen over 3200 on stock valve springs. I turn mine 3600 pullin.

THE TANK said:
I was just asking if weight made a difference, I thought that blue and silver dually had a good setup. It pulls good anyway, it would not light on that dynojet.

Yeah i'm certainly not knocking travis truck, don't take it that way. Im sure it makes good power when hooked to a sled. I'm really not disputing anything you're saying...

I just added that in my experience if a truck lights well on the street, it will dyno just fine(i.e. light well) on a dynojet. But a dynojet will not load a motor as hard as a sled can, so being able to get them lit while hooked to a sled does not mean it will light quickly on a dynojet.

Like i said, a dynojet is not the right tool for the job when it comes to lighting real laggy setups.

Chris

THE TANK said:
and C-hawk you can turn a 1st gen over 3200 on stock valve springs. I turn mine 3600 pullin.

IN GENERAL COMMENT:
Yeah we've been having a hard time with that, knowing how far people want us to turn their trucks. Some times people don't know what they have done to their trucks or what they are capable of, and we certainly don't know every detail and modification of every truck. I think we will add a line to the waiver where customers will need to enter in the rpm they want us to turn their trucks to. Then if someone says spin it to 4k and we do and it breaks something, it's on them. But if someone says 3200 and we turn it to 4 and mess it up, then it's on us. Seems fair to me...

Tank, I'll look at your graph when i get home next, i don't remember the specifics of it. If your hp was still climbing when we let out of it, i'll dyno it again free of charge if you want us to. I seem to remember your peak numbers being lower in the rpm range though.

Later,

Chris

Last edited:
That pump/turbo combo was pretty much an oxymoron at the time. Big fuel (for a VE) and a bone stock turbo. It wouldn't suprise me a bit if it peaked out down low.

but what do I know, I'm just a powerstroker

Back