HE351VE on a 12 valve

i tried one of these he351ve on my 4bt and it was a little laggy. but seeing how many are using drive pressure to open the vanes instead of boost, i wonder... With drive pressure i think i could tighten the collar up a little more possibly spooling quicker. is that what you guys have found using drive pressure? and with boost acting to close it...perhaps keeps the barking down as well? does it boost quicker than an he351cw? or he341? thanks

What style flange is on the He351ve turbo? Does any one have some more pics of either there flange adapter and their setup mounted in a 2nd(24v)? thanks

If I remember correctly, the flange is T4i. I don't have any pictures of my adapter, but it is basically 2 1/2" plates, one has the T3 port and bolt pattern, the other has the T3 port and T4i bolt pattern. Then I used the factory studs from the manifold to hold them together.

i tried one of these he351ve on my 4bt and it was a little laggy. but seeing how many are using drive pressure to open the vanes instead of boost, i wonder... With drive pressure i think i could tighten the collar up a little more possibly spooling quicker. is that what you guys have found using drive pressure? and with boost acting to close it...perhaps keeps the barking down as well? does it boost quicker than an he351cw? or he341? thanks

I use boost to close and drive pressure to open the veins on my HE551v. It works much better than the drive pressure to open and spring pressure to close ever did. Spool up is faster. With only drive pressure on the system, the collar always wanted to come open before I wanted it to. Now boost holds it closed until drive can overcome boost.

Its not t4i on my 351ve, think its a wgmt or something.
//nilsson

Correct. The t4i flanges are used on the bigger Holset vgts. Do a search on how guys have plugged the original holes on the flange and then re-drilled for a T3 flange.

I use boost to close and drive pressure to open the veins on my HE551v. It works much better than the drive pressure to open and spring pressure to close ever did. Spool up is faster. With only drive pressure on the system, the collar always wanted to come open before I wanted it to. Now boost holds it closed until drive can overcome boost.

Can you tell me some more about your setup? Did you have some pictures?
I am on may way to install a 351ve on a 12v.
//nilsson

97crewcab...do you regulate any of the drive pressure opening the collar? or regulate any of the boost acting to close it? thank you

So I have just read 32 pages of info... Has there been any conclusion to the best way in controlling HE351VE turbo?

I tried a spring controller with adjustable limiting bolts and the turbo blew up in less than a week. It spooled really fast, and was a lot of fun on the street, it just barked too easy and exploded on my second or third short 15 second burnout.

I tried a new method of controlling the vanes! Simplier than ever!

i found out the drive pressure WILL push the vane collar open, so i just installed a spring to keep it closed, to where the screw is set, when there is no/low Drive pressure and as drive pressure increases the collar opens up,

as of right now it might feel a little laggier than with the w/g actuator,
but i have not tuned it in yet very good! last time i had my bro powerbrake the truck it opened up too soon.
Max boost is the same, so i know its openening all the way to where the max screw is set to

are you still having good luck with this turbo and method of controlling it, have you got the exhaust brake to work

are you still having good luck with this turbo and method of controlling it, have you got the exhaust brake to work

Yep! Its working great, now i put a spring setup on my 12 valve too.
i have 25 psi boost at 1450 rpm and at 1500 rpm i have 30 psi, max boost is 38 psi the way its setup.
I have yet to blow up a turbo but then i dont push that much power and i try to not bark it too often.

Id like to hear more too, about the he551 turbo in a few earlier posts.

Last edited:
Yep! Its working great, now i put a spring setup on my 12 valve too.
i have 25 psi boost at 1450 rpm and at 1500 rpm i have 30 psi, max boost is 38 psi the way its setup.
I have yet to blow up a turbo but then i dont push that much power and i try to not bark it too often.

Id like to hear more too, about the he551 turbo in a few earlier posts.

Do you have your housing set up to not open up very far? I only see about 30 psi out of mine, and it falls on it's face at about 25 psi.

thats right. it doesnt travel very far from closed to open.
i think around 35 is good!

do you see smoke at WOT?

Just a thought for those of you running springs. If you could put some kind of a shock absorber type of system on the arm of the turbo that would slow down the turbos ability to close back down when you let off the throttle, this should eliminate the possibility of the turbo barking......

NO barking and no smoking at WOT?
IMG_0464.jpg

I'm trying to buy a he351ve to put on my 12v. I'm having trouble with the guy tho I love how people put stuff up for sale and doesn't contact you till a week later and says he still has it. So I give him my number because he won't give me his info and ain't head from him yet. When I want to sell something I contact people Duh or you won't sell it. Sorry for the rant. Theres some good info in this thread. I will read over it time to time to help me with mine if I ever get one lol.

NO barking and no smoking at WOT?
IMG_0464.jpg

Have seen on another forum that they used vaccum in one of the ports to weaken the return spring, than you will need less dp to open the vanes during higway cruise. Creating less dp when you cruise, but on full acceleration a magnetic valve close the vaccum, and let the vane follow the dp, for max spool up. This setup was on a Mercedes. Hope some understand my explanation, and make it sense?
Someone that have tried that in an cummis application?
//nilsson

Back