HID kits for Dodge trucks?

Chevycummins

Bad case of Tinkeritis!
i have searched around on here and seen there was issues on and off with the dodge trucks. havent seen anything posted recently about if there is a fix for it that is working all the time or if it is still hit and miss if the resistor fixes the issue. looking to get some but dont want to deal with the hassle if there is not a solid solution to getting them to run right.

I am running a retro solutions kit on my dodge and i havent had any problems so far. It was plug and play but i mounted it alittle different then what the instructions read. The only glitch i have noticed so far is that the lights flicker every once and a while when i open the doors sometimes.

Jamie

I will run only ddmtuning.com hids in my trucks any more. 75 bucks gets you a high/low 55w kit your choice on color temp. Light quick and I have had mine in my Dakota for a year now with no issues except for low beam is high beam on lights. Tried rewiring and didn't change. Minor thing to awesome lights.

I removed my high beam indicator light for a quick fix.

I think I have seen those listed before. The main reason I ask is a local shop near me refuses to install on a dodge vehicle because of so many coming back for light flickers and what not. If there is a better brand or something to help him out and keep from turning down business. I want a set myself too and if people are relocating their install location and that is fixing the issue I will look into that too

I think I have seen those listed before. The main reason I ask is a local shop near me refuses to install on a dodge vehicle because of so many coming back for light flickers and what not. If there is a better brand or something to help him out and keep from turning down business. I want a set myself too and if people are relocating their install location and that is fixing the issue I will look into that too

Flickering shouldn't be an issue on the second gens. Or at least I have never heard of it. Mainly an issue on computer controlled headlights that have DRL, auto on, lamp out indicators.

I got the ones for my old 01' from vvme.com they are still on the truck today and have been there almost 5 years.

try these, they have great results:

Retro-Solutions Store

ok will look into those thanks

Flickering shouldn't be an issue on the second gens. Or at least I have never heard of it. Mainly an issue on computer controlled headlights that have DRL, auto on, lamp out indicators.

I got the ones for my old 01' from vvme.com are still on the truck today and have been there almost 5 years.

Thanks. I don't have much free time and was calling around and a lot of the shops don't really want to install them because of the ones they have had come back.

retro solutions has a kit specifically for the Dodge ram to address the flicker issues.... but the problems lie in the 03+ trucks, not the 2nd gens.....I as well as others on here have the retro kit... they are the best money can buy....

Another vote for Retro-Solutions....I had one of his kits in my 99 Cummins with ZERO issue's and before that I purchased a power harness from him to correct a flicker problem I had with a cheap ebay kit.

The flicker problem is mainly due to lack of stead current to the ballast. When you install a power harness that draw's power directly off the battery and only uses the factory wiring to turn on the relay for the HID's.

I actually pulled the Retro kit out of my 99 when I sold it and installed it in my Jetta and they are still kick'n no problem! :rockwoot:

I'm running retro solutions in my headlights and my fogs in my 06.

When it comes to Dodge HID's the only word is from dodge05cr a fellow Comp D Member.
Drop him a PM and Pat will fix you and help you if you have any issues.
Anything else is not worth the time or the aggravation.
We have them in all of our Rams and have had zero issues at all.

Last edited:
i have seen they offer a "bulb capping". have any of you done that? does it make a difference between a normal one?

Our trucks PCM and FCM read a resistance measurement through the headlight and tail light bulb filaments. When a filament blows the resistance drops and this lets the PCM/FCM know a bulb is out and two things happen here.

1) the modules reduce voltage and
2) the Lamp Out on the dash comes on to notify the driver

So because HIDs are gas filled and not a filament type bulb, when you plug them in the PCM/FCM module does not see "bulbs" and those two things stated above happen.

But because the voltage has been reduced, the HID kits will normally strobe or flicker.

The OEM filament type bulbs are 55w/65w bulbs. One the headlight harness plugs there are three wires. There is the low beam (12v), the high beam (12v) and the common (-).

So my taking 50 watt load resistors and adding them onto the HID harnesses, we can used them to replicate the resistance needed to trick the PCM/FCM into thinking there are bulbs there and that will reciprocate the two issues stated above. In other words, full voltage will be supplied and no Lamp Out light on the dash.

Specifically, the resistors get wired as such. We know there are two ends to each resistor and there are three wires on each headlight. Take one load resistor and splice it to the low beam (12v) wire and the other end to the common (-) wire. The other resistor goes with one end spliced to the high beam (12v) wire and the other to the same common (-) wire.

You can find load resistors on ebay. I have pics of mine in my signature links

retro's is not a bad price for everything thats needed to do the conversion. i am just curious as to what the bulb capping really does if it even makes that much of a difference.

Capping is for fog lights. I'm sure someone will come in this thread and talk trash about HIDs and how they are not designed for the factory housings..

The best way to see what capping does it to pull beside a factory HID vehicle.. Like an Audi, Acura or a BMW. You will see the light will cut off rather sharply if you are driving along side the other car. It only costs $9 iirc.. I can't tell you if it even makes a huge difference.. just passing on the info I got. The RS kit is put together very well. I love my HIDS.. best driving upgrade i've done so far.

yeah i think thats the set i am gonna go with. i was just wanting to hear a little more on the whole bulb capping before i ordered them to see if it was worth the extra money or not.

Back