How much water can a water pump push

madmikeismad

So mad
I'm getting tired of the electric water pumps lasting 3 months before burning up or corroding. Curious if I could run engine coolant through the w/a cooler's entire system (cooler and heat exchanger) without sacrificing the pumps ability to flow through the entire engine. On top of that, I already have the water to the heater core plumbed through the garrett.

Is a stock water pump capable of supplying that much flow/pressure?

I emailed those Canadians for some advice on the re-assembly. Hopefully they will replay this afternoon with a trick or two for the electric unit. ;)

Nice to know the jerks don't put a phone number one on their website.

I emailed those Canadians for some advice on the re-assembly. Hopefully they will replay this afternoon with a trick or two for the electric unit. ;)

Nice to know the jerks don't put a phone number one on their website.

Yeah, I emailed them too lol.

I used to have their number. I'm sure I still have a receipt somewhere in the garage.

If this pump can't be fixed, I'll just loop the system into the stock water pump, or look into an auxiliary belt driven pump if they aren't a billion dollars. If none of those are feasible, I'm afraid I'll have to hook the stock IC back up.

You will be fine with a stock pump. Back in the day I ran WVO in my 7.3 with over a 100ft of 3/4 line in the tank to heat the WVO up I had no issues with flow in either radiator or the 3/4 line.
I know the 7.3 and 12v aren't the same pumps but they are the same type of pump.
Mike

what about something like a belt driven raw water pump, i know they make raw water pumps for marine 5.9's but that would be in place of you power steering and vacuum pumps

will a raw water pump survive in heated antifreeze environment?

You will be fine with a stock pump. Back in the day I ran WVO in my 7.3 with over a 100ft of 3/4 line in the tank to heat the WVO up I had no issues with flow in either radiator or the 3/4 line.
I know the 7.3 and 12v aren't the same pumps but they are the same type of pump.
Mike
I just realized I'm not using the trans heat exchanger ports. I could use those, if I could figure out which ones are feed and return. And how many gph goes through them.
what about something like a belt driven raw water pump, i know they make raw water pumps for marine 5.9's but that would be in place of you power steering and vacuum pumps

will a raw water pump survive in heated antifreeze environment?
Yeah I need those lol

have you considered sourcing something from an OEM W/A application?

The feed/outlet is the one in the side of the block behind the alternator, the return in in the lower radiator hose casting.

The feed/outlet is the one in the side of the block behind the alternator, the return in in the lower radiator hose casting.

Thanks! I'd like to think that if it was meant to keep the trans oil at a certain temp, it should be able to flow enough to keep water kinda cool. I'm not expecting ambient intake temps by any means, but under 200 would be awesome.

If you go back with the pump you may want to try some water wetter, or purple ice to help with corosion. Another thing that works good is some water soluble cutting fluid.

Water wetter was something I planned on adding if I could figure it out. Issue was that I had to fill it with a hose so I could force the air out of the high points, so it wasn't possible to add anything else without losing water and letting air in.

No way to ad a small, say 1 quart, tank up high so it burps itsself?

You know, I may be able to swap the fill ports around, I'll get a picture of it all later so you can see what I'm working with. Right now, the highest point is the front of the w/a cooler.

Or should I try to figure out how to make one of these work? I have a small resovoir I could probably fit this into, but the pump would stick out of the top

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Rule-10-Marine-2000-GPH-12-Volt/dp/B000O89BCQ/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1436742034&sr=8-6&keywords=rule+bilge+pump"]Amazon.com : Rule 10 Marine Rule 2000 Marine Bilge Pump (2000-GPH, 12-Volt) : Boating Bilge Pumps : Sports & Outdoors@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41x1zcDKyRL.@@AMEPARAM@@41x1zcDKyRL[/ame]

Or this guy that would probably flow closer to the 50gph I'm looking for, but have no idea where I would put it.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Rule-56D-Marine-Bilge-12-Volt/dp/B000O8B7LO/ref=sr_1_32?ie=UTF8&qid=1436742167&sr=8-32&keywords=rule+bilge+pump&refinements=p_72%3A2661618011"]Amazon.com : Rule 56D Marine Rule 4000 Bilge Pump (12-Volt) : Boating Bilge Pumps : Sports & Outdoors@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41WUEAxmZnL.@@AMEPARAM@@41WUEAxmZnL[/ame]

EDIT: I guess that bigger flow pump isn't that big physically

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/rule-industries--rule-4000-bilge-pump--222047

I could fit that in the resovoir. I just question its lifespan in a daily driver. I know pullers use them with their ice setups, but on a daily this pump would get more run time in a week than it would ever see on a puller.

Last edited:
Meziere is local to me. I could stop by and bend their ear about it. See what they suggest.

What pump have you been using? Are your water lines sized correctly?

Too small will cause too much pressure build up and would decrease pump life, especially on suction side.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

I have a water pump from a 5.9 in a pusher motor home. I remember the heater lines running to the front probably 30ft. It has more aggressive fins on the pump. I don't remember if the pulley was any different diameter but the fins are definitely different compared to dodge. If you want I can post some pics or donate the pump.

Meziere is local to me. I could stop by and bend their ear about it. See what they suggest.

What pump have you been using? Are your water lines sized correctly?

Too small will cause too much pressure build up and would decrease pump life, especially on suction side.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

http://cvrproducts.com/2014/product-category/water-pumps/proflo-extreme-one-pump/

Water lines are only 3/4. I know they need to be at least 1", but I'm limited at the cooler until I can get the ports opened up and larger fittings tig'd on.

I have a water pump from a 5.9 in a pusher motor home. I remember the heater lines running to the front probably 30ft. It has more aggressive fins on the pump. I don't remember if the pulley was any different diameter but the fins are definitely different compared to dodge. If you want I can post some pics or donate the pump.

You mean it's from a 5.9 cummins, but its different from the dodge one?

Pics would be nice. I'd definitely be interested in it if it won't blow out all the freeze plugs lol. Kinda curious how much pressure it makes, there are two 90* fittings in the setup.

Back