How much water can a water pump push

if you a high flow direct fit pump use a vp pump or 6.7 pump

I'm not sure what you're talking about?

Also, with my w/a cooler being over the valve covers, and drawing water from the trans cooler ports, should I just have a fill port at the highest point possible, or retain the radiator cap filler with overflow? Just trying to figure out how I'm going to fill and bleed the system with the cooler being higher than the radiator fill.

I'm not sure what you're talking about?

Also, with my w/a cooler being over the valve covers, and drawing water from the trans cooler ports, should I just have a fill port at the highest point possible, or retain the radiator cap filler with overflow? Just trying to figure out how I'm going to fill and bleed the system with the cooler being higher than the radiator fill.

your looking to find a water pump to moves more gallon per min ?
or did a read this thread wrong. i was drinking so maybe i did lol

your looking to find a water pump to moves more gallon per min ?
or did a read this thread wrong. i was drinking so maybe i did lol

Not necessarily more. Really just needed one that will move 35-50gpm through the w/a system, and wasn't a POS electric pump setup. For now, I'm swapping in that bus water pump, hope it'll do the job fairly well, and call it good until something much better pops up. I'm running non-ic pistons, so hopefully the head will handle any extra heat. It's all been doing good so far with zero water in the system.

oh ok , the 6.7 cummins pump like one from a 2010 dodge , flows well and are not alot of money. i used them on truck all the time. done a bunch of playing with pumps , rads, coolers i hate having to pull out of the throttle when pulling a hill lol

as long as you have the one side on the on pressure (out) and one on suction (in). you will have no problems , like tying in line a heat exchanger unit for the trany, just need to run the truck with the rad cap off for a couple minutes,

i use one of these

Attachments

• funnel.jpg
    funnel.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 0
as long as you have the one side on the on pressure (out) and one on suction (in). you will have no problems , like tying in line a heat exchanger unit for the trany, just need to run the truck with the rad cap off for a couple minutes,

i use one of these

I'm worried about trapping air in the w/a system with it being higher than the radiator filler.

why no add a bleed port into the system at the high point?

Because when filling the water still wouldn't go any higher than the rad cap. I don't think I'm conveying my thoughts clearly enough lol. I really need to get a picture up.

Park on a hill and fill :)

That would have to be a very steep hill LOL. It has to be at least 6" above the radiator cap. Found this picture in an older thread.

There is a radiator cap plumbed into the rear hose of the top cooler. In the front hose of the top cooler, there is a fill port that I can hook the garden hose to to flush as much air out of the system as possible. The cooler to the left is gone. If I could re-do it, I would have that top cooler moved over to the fender so it would be much lower, and then just run the pipe over to the intake.

juguzy4y.jpg

Last edited:
buy a small inline filler neck and put a 20 psi cap on the rad so it doesn't open. pretty easy fix

I just stopped by meziere. Guy said that mechanical wp430 is the best pump they sell for your application.
The electric pumps are centrifugal and typically rated at free flow. Soon as you get restriction the flow drops by a good amount & high restriction reduces pump life.
The wp430 has dual -12 outlets. He said if Plumbing each w/a to its own outlet make sure the plumbing it equal as the one that has more restriction won't get as much flow. He said ideally check pressures in each. That pump has an aluminum impeller. He said it's a monster. It's shaft is similar to dry dump pumps so you could use those pulleys.

He also said they have some sled pillars running duel in wp431, one for engine & other for the w/a. He said they gear drive them.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

I just stopped by meziere. Guy said that mechanical wp430 is the best pump they sell for your application.
The electric pumps are centrifugal and typically rated at free flow. Soon as you get restriction the flow drops by a good amount & high restriction reduces pump life.
The wp430 has dual -12 outlets. He said if Plumbing each w/a to its own outlet make sure the plumbing it equal as the one that has more restriction won't get as much flow. He said ideally check pressures in each. That pump has an aluminum impeller. He said it's a monster. It's shaft is similar to dry dump pumps so you could use those pulleys.

He also said they have some sled pillars running duel in wp431, one for engine & other for the w/a. He said they gear drive them.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

That sounds awesome. And I'm only running one w/a now, so the equal flow won't be an issue. This is definitely what I'm doing once I get everything else caught up. But the vw still needs a water pump.... lol

So it turns out I couldn't remember at all how the trans cooler was hooked up.

These are the only water ports I could find (didn't look too hard)

That top line goes to the turbo, and then heater core. Line out the side is plugged off.

10051272d1302c9c7cc6f7351824fe5a.jpg

Plug right next to the alternator. This isn't the original block, and I think I remember an actual fitting being in there in my old block.

fdb596bbc178a228122cc56fc09af0b6.jpg

EDIT: went back through the thread and found where someone had already said which port is what. I'm good to go, just gotta pull those fittings, and take them to hose shop to replace with 3/4 hose barb.

Thanks for the help so far guys.

Last edited:
Was thinking about this last night, I use this on just about all things related to coolant, hardly ever get air trapped in the system, I bet it would work awesome for filling your coolant system.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00804HWOU/ref=sr_ph_1?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&ie=UTF8&qid=1437749561&sr=1&keywords=coolant+vacuum+refill+kit"]Amazon.com: FJC 43610 Radiator Coolant Vacuum Refill Kit: Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51DQ2KvyNuL.@@AMEPARAM@@51DQ2KvyNuL[/ame]

just a thought

They basically pull a vacuum on the complete cooling system, you then put a line in a coolant bottle and it sucks the coolant into the cooling system. They work really really well. I like it also for the fact I can suck all the coolant out before I start a job and not have to worry about making a mess on my garage floor.

Back