How much water can a water pump push

They basically pull a vacuum on the complete cooling system, you then put a line in a coolant bottle and it sucks the coolant into the cooling system. They work really really well. I like it also for the fact I can suck all the coolant out before I start a job and not have to worry about making a mess on my garage floor.

I like that.

So I got everything setup, went to fill with water, takes about two gallons and starts pouring out of the w/a heat exchanger. I figure that's ok, I've got a spare. Nope. That POS is cracked in the same damn weld. Hasn't been on a car in 6 months, just sat in a garage. So now the truck is most likely down until fricken Monday.

16a67d394d9b4ab0d1fd0e574457c949.jpg

85dab08c0a5f8433fabaf3005a6d5e6e.jpg

5b49fdbfbb681f79ebe79005a7d1ba52.jpg

a18219fe46809bee949e1905fb6d5f76.jpg

I gotta have it running in the morning to tow another truck lol. There's a radiator shop down the street I like that said he can do it tomorrow for me, so I gotta suck it up and do it, or plug off those lines.

Yay thats kinda of a strange crack, as its right in the middle of the weld.

All I can figure is heat/warping and vibration pulled the end tank away from the core. That would explain the position of the crack. But still doesn't explain why it happened in the first place LOL

So I got it all back and hooked up last night. w/a system routing is now:

port out of the block next to the alternator --> heat exchanger --> cooler --> drain into the cast part next to a/c compressor.

Hopefully that's the right routing to get the water through the heat exchanger first.

So far, it's definitely not working like I'd hoped. The w/a lines get hot almost immediately after starting the truck with a cold engine. The water going into the heat exchanger is engine temp, and the water coming out feels just as hot, so it's probably not doing much cooling inside the cooler. BUT, it moves some water, and I haven't even swapped in that RV pump yet. It feels like about 5,000,000 gpm just holding onto the hose lol.

I'm sure it's working a little though, as the engine water temp rises about 5*, to 185, after a good pull. It cools back down IMMEDIATELY though. Have to see how she runs with the trailer on and constant boost/heat. Plus, EGT's seemed down about 50* across the board, even in this early summer heat.

e386d00e50e20206fbee47be836852bc.jpg

Back