HPTuners on 03-05s

You must license the file in order to save it and flash it. Your tuner of choice will also have to license it in order to save and edit it

I apologize for my stupidity but let me get this straight. I read the file from my truck and saved it as "stock.htp". It then prompted me to either license or not license. I haven't done anything else yet, but as I understand it, I need to license the tune. Then I will be able to e-mail the tune to my tuner? He somehow uses two more of my credits and will, at this point, be able to modify it and e-mail it back to me? Again, I apologize. This just seems to be a very complicated process

Thanks
Jason

I apologize for my stupidity but let me get this straight. I read the file from my truck and saved it as "stock.htp". It then prompted me to either license or not license. I haven't done anything else yet, but as I understand it, I need to license the tune. Then I will be able to e-mail the tune to my tuner? He somehow uses two more of my credits and will, at this point, be able to modify it and e-mail it back to me? Again, I apologize. This just seems to be a very complicated process

Thanks
Jason

Your tuner does not use your credits to save/edit...he must use 2 of HIS credits to save/edit your file.

HP Tuners makes $200 on situations like remote tuning....they cash in on the customer license and cash in on the tuner license.

Your tuner does not use your credits to save/edit...he must use 2 of HIS credits to save/edit your file.

HP Tuners makes $200 on situations like remote tuning....they cash in on the customer license and cash in on the tuner license.

Thanks Les, I really appreciate you clearing this up for me :Cheer:

Well that's a rip off! It would be worth the drive to have an in-truck tune session at that point!

Even if you do want to purchase an interface but don't do your own tuning it's stupid process.. HP tuners is still cashing in on 4 credits to tune a vehicle that takes 2. Unless you do your own tuning or drive to a tuner, you are paying for 2 vehicles worth of licenses.

It's not that much different from the way Smarty was doing it, and it's no different than the way they do it for all of the other vehicles they support. I'm not going to complain after waiting years for this type of software.

Yes I agree. The whole main/VIN dongle thing is not a good process either. Neither is forcing customers to buy a tuner to only put custom tunes on it. It seems efilive is the only company thus far to have a very easy and cost effective process. Unfortunately they don't support the early trucks and IMO HPTuners is the best option as of now. It is a good product and deffinantly gets the job done. I enjoy using it, I just don't like how they license the files and not the vehicle. It makes it a pain to share files among tuners when trying to figure out problems or troubleshooting.

It works fine if you are just tuning your own truck, but as others have said, less than ideal if you're doing remote tuning.

Some kind of calculator maybe?

New VSS Pulses Per Mile value = Original VSS Pulses Per Mile value * (stock tire diameter / new tire diameter)

Or

New VSS Pulses Per Mile value = Original VSS Pulses Per Mile value * (Speedometer indicated speed / True vehicle speed)

New VSS Pulses Per Mile value = Original VSS Pulses Per Mile value * (stock tire diameter / new tire diameter)

Or

New VSS Pulses Per Mile value = Original VSS Pulses Per Mile value * (Speedometer indicated speed / True vehicle speed)

I'm not following...

I'm not following...
Example: My speedo calibration was originally 8000 pulses per mile.

Let's say my original tire diameter was 28", and my new tire diameter is 33".

New vss pulse per mile value = 8000 * (28 / 33)

28 / 33 = .85

8000 * .85 = 6800

My new vss pulses per mile value is 6800.

Or

My original vss value is 8000.

My speedometer indicates I'm doing 55 mph. A GPS indicates I'm doing 64.8 mph.

New vss pulse per mile value = 8000 * (55 / 64.8)

55 / 64.8 = .85

8000 * .85 = 6800

My new vss pulses per mile value is 6800.

Ok, so just to verify...

Right now I am going 70mph at 65mph. 65/70=.93 so .93*8000=7440

My new VSS value should be 7440.

Back