HPTuners on 03-05s

Maybe I can pick some brains since I've had a terrible time with mine. My early 04 runs fine on the stock tune, but any change at all in the tune causes such a harsh lope that it shut itself off. At this point the ONLY thing changed from the stock tune is the timing table, and still won't run. I have twin pumps, and BMS injectors
4f4d4e33c261c5c40e2c168245b0fe03.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Hmmm I have been fighting a lope as well, but nothing that bad. Pretty sure the loping is from PW.

Have you tried the new 3.0 software?

Damn, there's gotta be something wrong in the software. No reason to do that with only upper timing changes.

Just figured it out. The master switch has to be disabled.

That's weird, did you run a log while it was loping? Mine will lope on the stock file because of the injectors, but it smoothed out once I loaded a modified pulsewidth table. I could watch the ecm turn the main pw on and off in the scanner trying to sustain idle rpm. If you have to turn the protection factor master switch off you are going to lose boost limited fueling and I have a feeling you're going to want that later.

That's weird, did you run a log while it was loping? Mine will lope on the stock file because of the injectors, but it smoothed out once I loaded a modified pulsewidth table. I could watch the ecm turn the main pw on and off in the scanner trying to sustain idle rpm. If you have to turn the protection factor master switch off you are going to lose boost limited fueling and I have a feeling you're going to want that later.

Not sure if you saw the video I posted above, but about 10 seconds of run time is all I could get and zero throttle response

Not sure if you saw the video I posted above, but about 10 seconds of run time is all I could get and zero throttle response

Yes, I watched it. Didn't realize it died on its own. Hope you get it figured out.

Put the master switch back on and put your air density tables back to stock

As far as I know the air density tables are stock. I haven't touched it.

Last edited:
Post up your files. That is probably the only way anybody is going to be able to help out.

Tell me how to post the file and I will.

Connect your HP Tuners interface to your truck, close any tune file that might load when the program opens, then click on the "Read" icon.

Once the VCM Suite reads out some information from your truck, an up-to-date stock tune file will be generated (and it will give you a dialog box explaining that that's what is happening - as opposed to actually reading out the calibration that is installed on your ECU) for your year truck and OS, after which you will be prompted to save the file.

Save the file, then host it on a file sharing server of some sort (dropbox works well), then post the link here and someone will download it and take a look. It would be helpful to also see the tune file that caused the lopey idle to draw some conclusions from.

Just a hunch here, but I would bet that a good part of the reason you're loping is because you haven't adjusted the "Main SOI Blend Factors" "Lo Density" table to at least closely resemble your main pulse timing table.

If you have noticed, your Main SOI timing in the log isn't following your commanded timing. It's likely that your truck is running off of the Lo Density tables/maps. Are you at high elevation where you live?

If changing your Lo Density table to closely match your main table doesn't seem to do the trick, the next thing I would try is to revert the changes to the ECT Adder and ECT Coeff tables back to stock, and work your timing changes primarily off of the 2 Main SOI tables.

You may already know this, but running 2000+ pulsewidth at 2500 - 3000 RPM with timing in the 7* range (which I'm sure wasn't intended) is super dangerous and will melt some pistons in pretty short order.

Just a hunch here, but I would bet that a good part of the reason you're loping is because you haven't adjusted the "Main SOI Blend Factors" "Lo Density" table to at least closely resemble your main pulse timing table.

If you have noticed, your Main SOI timing in the log isn't following your commanded timing. It's likely that your truck is running off of the Lo Density tables/maps. Are you at high elevation where you live?

If changing your Lo Density table to closely match your main table doesn't seem to do the trick, the next thing I would try is to revert the changes to the ECT Adder and ECT Coeff tables back to stock, and work your timing changes primarily off of the 2 Main SOI tables.

You may already know this, but running 2000+ pulsewidth at 2500 - 3000 RPM with timing in the 7* range (which I'm sure wasn't intended) is super dangerous and will melt some pistons in pretty short order.

The timing issue is what I'm fighting now. To even get my truck to run, I had to disable the master switch, and I'm guessing it's affected the timing. I'm not at high elevation, so I never touched the Low Density tables.

Last edited:
The timing issue is what I'm fighting now. To even get my truck to run, I had to disable the master switch, and I'm guessing it's affected the timing. I'm not at high elevation, so I never touched the Low Density tables.

Even still, I would suggest tweaking it to resemble your main table. What if you were to venture into some low density air and never tweaked that table?

Beyond that, there has been some suspicion that some of the parameters/tables within the calibrations that have been mislabeled. Someone even went to the extent to say that the main tables should really be labeled as "Transient" tables, and the Lo Density tables should be labeled as "Steady State" tables.

Whether or not this is legit info, I wouldn't be able to tell ya. Only the Cummins calibration engineers who have the source code for the calibrations can know with 100% certainty. Reverse engineering leaves a lot of potential for incorrectly defined parameters.

Give it a shot, and let us know if changing the Lo Density table helps at all.

Stock Calibration:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5kxykndzmg77nq3/stock.hpt?dl=0

Modified calibration and short log

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j993vn50vstjqlf/modified.hpt?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rpqrk7fepg8qn12/log2.hpl?dl=0

I think the master switch being disabled is limiting my timing, or am I interpreting it wrong? It runs much better than the stock file, but not near like it should. If I enable the master switch, it won't run.

So what happens when you flash the HPT generated stock file into your truck and start it?

Back