Issue with my 6.0... already!

just havin some fun ford boy. I watched my dad fight the 6.0 when he got a new back in 03. I feel for this guy.

First year and a half i had my 6.0l I fought it horribly..always in the shop, problems consistently reoccurring or new ones popping up.. Ford even stuck in a new 6.0l at 34K miles cause of a Runaway

did it have a lot of get-up-and- go up to a certain point, then it kind of levelled out and no matter how much you mashed on the go pedal, it wouldnt go anymore? thats what mine seems to be doing now. it will spin the 39s, but i get to a certain point, then it plateaus out and sounds like its being choked out really bad, and then thats when it starts its "coughing" bit...

It drove pretty close to normal but I could tell it was a little down on power and then when I got it up to cruising speed 55-65 MPH it would just fall flat on its face and have no power and wouldnt turn over 2900 RPM. I finally had to drag the service manager with me on a test drive because they said they couldnt get the truck to act up.

ok guys, i finally got a day where i could just stop and play around with the truck in the daylight. i figured today i would just start from the back of the engine and work my way forward looking at and checking ALL connections and wires.. i pulled both the ICP and IPR connectors, and there it was, the IPR sensor was corroded on one side, and on the ICP connector, i dont know how i missed this (maybe cuz ive been working on it at night :doh:) i found it to be oil soaked! so, i am now orderin some connectors and will see how it runs after they are replaced....

well, this was part of my problem:

60ford003.jpg

60ford002.jpg

60ford001.jpg

it runs wayyy better, but itll still peg outthe 30lb gauge, and start the "coughing" bit.. trying to figure out how to download Live Link onto my SCT so i can monitor the EBP..

Overspeeding of the turbo charger. Need to find out why it thinks it needs to be trying to get that much pressure in the exhaust.

ok. what all tells the turbo solenoid to work? also, which sensor tells what how to work? meaning the EBP sensor tells the vgt solenoid to work etc... im trying to learn how this motor works and how it thinks...

PCM asks for a certain ammount of pressure in the exhaust. So it looks at a table to get an idea of how much to tell the VGT solenoid to close the turbo down. Then it looks at the EBP in the drivers manifold to see how close it got. If it got close enough then it is happy. If it doesn't get what it wants. It will keep on closing down the turbo to try to get there. If it can't get what it wants it will sometimes generate a code to tell you EP greater or less than desired. It has 4 versions to look at. With EGR. Without EGR. And then either sea level or altitude for both of those.

haha i believe you now! i wonder if the EGR valve is messed up or something? could that thing be the reason the PCM isnt seeing correct boost from the EBP?

Stop saying back pressure. Its EP. Just say drive pressure. The EGR system is its own system. If it was open. It wouldn't be building 30+ PSI of boost. It would get to abot 10PSI and then the Gauge would start shaking back and forth from 8 to 12 psi. Stop getting distracted. Get the computer to datalog EP. Or roll on down to the dealer and kidnap a tech with an IDS and go for a ride.

ok, after a long battle with this thing, and moving, and trying to buy parts... lol i finally got this thing running right! i bought a donor motor the other night from a Ford technician out of San antonio this weekend and it had all the sensors i was wanting to try.. mainly the IPR.. swapped it out, and still had issues.. he also sold me an 03 turbo he had just cleaned up and it had a good VGT solenoid in it, so i swapped that out too.. ran a little better, but still no power.. said to heck with this and swapped out the turbos and voila! dang thing runs like it used to! stuck the race tune i have for it in and man this thing hauls! i still have a slight uppipe to turbo leak, but ill fix that later... now i am having long start issues. but at least after i get it started, it runs, LOL!

LOL Good to hear bud!

I'd get that up pipe leak fixed as soon as you can. It's no fun driving down the road and going to pass someone only to have a cloud of black smoke roll in through the vents and dash LMAO.

Back