Let talk Engines!!!!!

Bosshawg600

PDP.com FireFighter
Ok, so after I sold my 900hp "Fun Daily" truck.....wasnt fun working on it every weekend...Picked up a nice 4th gen mega. Now that adulting is in full swing, cant really do much to this truck other than the basics, and Im going to keep it that way!

But my tinkering itch isnt going away! Long story short, have a friends dad that is selling me a truck he picked up some years back and never got around to doing what they want with it, so they just want it out. BIG score for me!

Dont have many pictures yet, but its a 1953 IH D130, 1,700 origional miles, rust free and really pretty nice!!!Its a deal I refuse to pass up and itll tame my tinkering bug!

Plan is, more than likely, do a body swap onto something else, just not 100% set on what, and use it as just a cool drive around, rat rod ish diesel to just enjoy, drive around maybe go to a show or two every year.

Now here comes the question...... What are some good diesels to swap in there?????

12v? DT466?? 8.3L Cummins?? Any detroit I can find that someone doesent want a million bucks for??

Key- must be cheap (prefer less that 2500ish for frame, engine, drivetrain)
Must be mechanically injected (dont want to mess with electronics)
Got to look kinda cool and not be boring

12v with a 5sp. is my defult, but Im always on the look out for something that would give it a big "WOW" factor.

So, whats a good idea that I could be looking for???

How big of an air cooled duetz could you fit? That'd definitely be different, and kinda cool, and no cooling system to worry about!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

6v53 na with dual straights. That'll annoy the neighbors

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

If all you are going to do is drive it some and show it why not pick up a 3rd gen 1500 frame/roller and run it with a 12v 5spd. Newer box frame and lighter weight than a 2500 or 3500.

How big of an air cooled duetz could you fit? That'd definitely be different, and kinda cool, and no cooling system to worry about!

Rotery airplane engine??? Of course that sounds easy to find lol!!!

6v53 na with dual straights. That'll annoy the neighbors

Id love to find a cool old Detroit, but they are hard to find around here!!! Found a supercharged/turbo charged V8 out of a fire truck with a trans for 3500, it would be awesome to stick in there, but doubt the 54's frame could handle it!!! But dang, it would be sweet!!!

If all you are going to do is drive it some and show it why not pick up a 3rd gen 1500 frame/roller and run it with a 12v 5spd. Newer box frame and lighter weight than a 2500 or 3500.

Ive thought of that, but there are 2wd 12v's around with 5sp that I can pick up for under my budget, so it kinda hard to justify all that added fab work

If you seriously want a Detroit shoot me a text. The boss has tons of them sitting. 3o93682o9o.

Id love to find a cool old Detroit, but they are hard to find around here!!! Found a supercharged/turbo charged V8 out of a fire truck with a trans for 3500, it would be awesome to stick in there, but doubt the 54's frame could handle it!!! But dang, it would be sweet!!!

Ive thought of that, but there are 2wd 12v's around with 5sp that I can pick up for under my budget, so it kinda hard to justify all that added fab work
The deutz are commercial duty air cooled engines, kinda hard to find anymore

My neighbor has 4 or 5 duetz tractors that have taken horrendous abuse. Might try contacting Chris, signature600, on here if you'd like to know more about them, he has a few, and they did merge with A/C so I'm sure they're not totally foreign to him.

You are not going to fit more than a 12V in there. The DT466 8.3 L etc are all going to be way to tall and long to fit without some serious fab work.

Honestly, those are cool old trucks, and they were overbuilt to begin with. If it is rust free and only has 1700 original miles on it I would get it running and driving and use it as it.

I would be willing to trade you straight up for my 1967 IH 1600 Loadstar 4x4 for it if you want to put a DT466 or 8.3 L in something.

Yeah....no....

My neighbor has 4 or 5 duetz tractors that have taken horrendous abuse. Might try contacting Chris, signature600, on here if you'd like to know more about them, he has a few, and they did merge with A/C so I'm sure they're not totally foreign to him.

Deutz Air cooled diesels are some of the best in the world...Not sure how much hot rodding they can stand, but I've seen the 374CID pushed up around 500hp with a little help.

Chris

6v53. $500

Im gonna shoot you a PM. Looked a ton a 6v92's last night and it got me all kinds of jazzed. V6 2 stroke turbo and super charged with air start would be pretty crazy!

OK, now its starting to come back to me. Guess what would really worry me is finding parts. Sure it wouyld be cool, but probably a royal pain to do anything with/to

Yeah....no....

Deutz Air cooled diesels are some of the best in the world...Not sure how much hot rodding they can stand, but I've seen the 374CID pushed up around 500hp with a little help.

Chris

Im not too concerened with HP, just something cool between the frame rails that would be a slow pig when I try and drive it.

How about a DT360? Keep it International.

Those are pretty nice, somewhat hard to find that dont have a huge price tag on them though!

From what I was looking at, the 6v92 is pretty simple, looks awesome, turbo and super charged... Plus looks super simple to throw a pair of box turbos on each manifold and pull of the Wagler look Hahahaha!

You'll never get a 71 or 92 series 6V in there. A 53 would be more realistic.

OK, now its starting to come back to me. Guess what would really worry me is finding parts. Sure it wouyld be cool, but probably a royal pain to do anything with/to

Im not too concerened with HP, just something cool between the frame rails that would be a slow pig when I try and drive it.

Parts are no problem, other than the industrial bell housing and adapting it to a transmission...but you'd have the same problem with a Detroit/GM diesel.

You won't fit a 92 series in there, maybe a 71 series.

Chris

Parts are no problem, other than the industrial bell housing and adapting it to a transmission...but you'd have the same problem with a Detroit/GM diesel.

You won't fit a 92 series in there, maybe a 71 series.

Chris

Even a 6? I dont mind running no hood or cutting some stuff..... I like the 92 series just due to the super/turbo combo.... just something super different and cool.

If I go I6 ill just go 12v, that why Im looking at Detroit V's and stuff like that.

Even a 6? I dont mind running no hood or cutting some stuff..... I like the 92 series just due to the super/turbo combo.... just something super different and cool.

If I go I6 ill just go 12v, that why Im looking at Detroit V's and stuff like that.

A 6v92 is a big engine...but if you don't run a hood, you might be able to do all kinds of cool stuff.

Chris

I'm betting there were 6v53s out there with turbos. All 2 stroke detroits have superchargers because they won't pull air in without them so they push it in with the blower. We used to have a 3-53 in one of our push back tractors and it was turbo'd. It was a good little engine.

For adapting, here is an option. These guys make SAE adapters.

Request Rejected

You'd have to come up with a flywheel of flex plate to do the rest. They might be able to source or build something too.

I'm betting there were 6v53s out there with turbos. All 2 stroke detroits have superchargers because they won't pull air in without them so they push it in with the blower. We used to have a 3-53 in one of our push back tractors and it was turbo'd. It was a good little engine.

For adapting, here is an option. These guys make SAE adapters.

Request Rejected

You'd have to come up with a flywheel of flex plate to do the rest. They might be able to source or build something too.

There were, 240hp 6V53T's...can be hard to find at times...

Chris

Back