Loose injection line

Jeremy, I had a major problem with my stainless .120 lines back when my truck was runnin. I would torque them and then after the run I would have leaks. Patti sent them back to schieds for me; and there guy that bends there lines called me and said there wasn't anything wrong with them. He told me I had the pump CC's set to high for the size injector I was ruunin. But patti sent me a set of Steel .120's and I had no trouble with them. I dunno bud.....just an idea.
I've had this set of lines for 2 years and this is the first time I've had this happen
Even if you can prove they were messed with how does that help? You still don't know who.
My thing is not really to catch them doing it but to make sure I don't drive 6 hrs to a pull and finish last cause some one screwed with my truck only to knock me down in the points. If I can visibly look at them and tell if they have been moved before I run then that is what I want. If someone is trying to sabotage my rig before I run then they will get caught by someone some time. If it had been any of the others I would think it would have loosened on its own but to be number one is really fishy to me. Especially since I had put a wrench on the before my last hook and they were all tight.

Did any one have any damage from the fuel being leaned out?

No such thing as leaning out a diesel. Less fuel = less power. That one cylinder would be producing less than the rest. Without fuel psi the injector will not fire. A leaking line would cause a miss but not damage, other than being out of balance.

What about a tab of some sort? I know the trash companies and large trucking companies put those bright yellow tabs on the lugnuts of their trucks. Maybe make something similar to that and can be easily and quickly checked with a quick pop of the hood.

Last edited:
Safety wire them. Put a tab on the nut and run safety wire through it. I know, easier said than done.

No such thing as leaning out a diesel. Less fuel = less power. That one cylinder would be producing less than the rest. Without fuel psi the injector will not fire. A leaking line would cause a miss but not damage, other than being out of balance.

Less fuel means more heat also. Heat damages parts

When you are using fuel to keep egt down it Could cause damage taking fuel away

from phone

The hottest burn is at near stoichiometric air fuel ratio. This is generally pretty smokey, but most pullers are beyond that ratio and are pulling heat with fuel. Not to much as it will start to hurt power. Same with water injection, its easy to pull power down with water.

So in fact loosing some fuel to that cylinder could cause a hot or "lean" condition.

When you are using fuel to keep egt down it Could cause damage taking fuel away

from phone

OK, so I have heard this before but never understood this. I know to much fuel and not enough air on the street raises EGTs and cause smoke. How does even more fuel bring EGTs down on the sled (granted I get smoke is no longer an issue):what:

OK, so I have heard this before but never understood this. I know to much fuel and not enough air on the street raises EGTs and cause smoke. How does even more fuel bring EGTs down on the sled (granted I get smoke is no longer an issue):what:

Vaporization.

ok - so my first run this year with new lines - tight tight - first run - we were test hook truck mid track fell on its face - got it off the track and found 3 lines completely off the injectors
The answer was - the lines were not "exactly" perpendicular to the injector and the cup of the injector and the nub on the line were not sitting properly hence the false "tight"
As soon as heat and vibration came onto the lines they came loose

luckily for us that nite because we were test hook we got to run again

I since then took the time to make sure there was no sideways pressure on the lines from misalignment and that they were indeed seated in the injector - no issues since

Last edited:
Basically over saturation of fuel. At some point it begins to cool cylinder temps. Keep going larger on injectors until you start to see a drop in egts.

I can vouch for the cool egt's with too much fuel. My truck would hit 2100* at half throttle but punch it to WOT and the temp would drop to 1500*.

The hottest burn is at near stoichiometric air fuel ratio. This is generally pretty smokey, but most pullers are beyond that ratio and are pulling heat with fuel. Not to much as it will start to hurt power. Same with water injection, its easy to pull power down with water.

So in fact loosing some fuel to that cylinder could cause a hot or "lean" condition.

Sorry to derail the thread, but this is interesting. If the goal is making power, and power is made by burning fuel, and to burn fuel you need air/oxygen, then why not shoot for the best mix of the two? Any space in the cylinder that all the extra fuel is taking up, and causing mega amounts of smoke, is space that could be used for air. Are EGT’s so extreme that room in the cylinders has to be sacrificed for cooling purposes? And to achieve the cooling is water or fuel the better choice? Wouldn’t water have a better chance of adding oxygen than fuel? Could a big part of the high EGT’s be all that additional fuel continuing to burn as the exhaust valve is opening?

I always thought that the old style mechanical fuel systems used in many tractors and now trucks were just trying to push as much fuel through the engine as possible. With the newer technology a more precise mixture should be possible.

Last edited:
That helps me none at all. Have a link or should I search that word to find the info.

What happens when you sweat? Do you cool off simply because its wet? The process of turning from a liquid to a vapor absorbs energy and removes heat.

Sorry to derail the thread, but this is interesting. If the goal is making power, and power is made by burning fuel, and to burn fuel you need air/oxygen, then why not shoot for the best mix of the two? Any space in the cylinder that all the extra fuel is taking up, and causing mega amounts of smoke, is space that could be used for air. Are EGT’s so extreme that room in the cylinders has to be sacrificed for cooling purposes? And to achieve the cooling is water or fuel the better choice? Wouldn’t water have a better chance of adding oxygen than fuel? Could a big part of the high EGT’s be all that additional fuel continuing to burn as the exhaust valve is opening?

I always thought that the old style mechanical fuel systems used in many tractors and now trucks were just trying to push as much fuel through the engine as possible. With the newer technology a more precise mixture should be possible.

You're assuming too many things to be ideal. Also, the fuel may displace the air, but it will still be in the cylinder.

1. Fuel does not displace air.
On the air side, that is all done before the injector even thinks about firing. So all the air that we've done our best job to get into the cylinder is there already.

2. Water does displace air.
Water injection does displace air. You simply do not gain oxygen molecules injecting water. (It is very effective however for maintaining cylinder temperatures for prolonged time's like sled pulling)

Common rails can run very close to max power on very little smoke but cylinder temperatures are un-controlable for the time it takes on a sled.

My max dyno pulls on fuel would top out the egt's at 1900+ degrees. With additional fueling could bring it down to ~ 1650 with very little power penalty.

Back