New Pro Street rig for this season

Bruce Smith

Life begins at 800 rpm's
Some may have seen this truck at a event or two last year but its in the middle of a make over mechanicly right now and should be a very fast truck here soon. I will have pleanty of pictures to follow the build. For no more than it was it ran pretty good as it was with very little fuel and air, 7.20's 1/8 and 11.30's 1/4; it should be at a complete diff. level here in a few weeks when everything is done. Little overview of the truck. its a 91 short bed chevy that myself and my brother in law stock600 or Ryan backhalved, narrowed the frame rails and ladder bar'ed and coil overed basicly copied his Black Truck that worked sooo well.

Basicly is a gutted down race weight drag only truck now but its nearly 100% new though out now. Its got new big 33x15 Hossiers tucked under it spun by a 9" ford rear fitted by all new Strange internals incuding thier Nodular iron center support and 35 spline axles, HD rear brakes for ease of spooling the new twin chargers. Truck is built around Pro Street rules and weighs in at thier min. number of 4500#, prob. a bit more now with the additional turbo and all new piping though. I had a freash billet 518a tranny built with all trick internals including the best shafts and also a super Art Carr 13" custom stalled convertor and full manual valve body.

Im in the middle now of freshing the 12v for it and tons of upgrades for this next season. I went with as much of a copy as I could of what Ryan ran in his Altered that worked so well, we blueprinted the bottom end and went back together with new fastners, bearings, rings and pistons. Billet freeze plugs and new sfi flexplate as well. The head got surfaced big stainless steel int. valves and a killer port job this thing should move some air! Ryan did me a camshaft and I purchased a bolt on retainer for it. Im putting the head back on this time around with upgraded ARP 625's rather than the 2000's because we seen them work so well on the Altered. 3 nozzle water injection system now along with a custom 2 stage nitrous setup also in the works.

On to the new air, I ran it before with a box stock 66mm single and it spooled well and ran good but I knew with all the new fuel that more air was badly needed so it get sent to HTT for a rework 66/71/13ss and I hung a Forced Induction S480 under it with race cover along with a big 60mm ext gate and a HTT 3 piece manifold. All the piping is ceramic coated and looks killer, I hope it runs as well as it looks. I gave Ryan the pump and let him do his tricks to it to give me max fuel from it along with a much bigger set of injectors from Weston, it should fuel hard now.

Im so curious as to how the trucks going to perform now, I think its a very nice set up and will be fast. My big problem is work in the past has been great giving me pleanty extra money to build the truck as I wanted to and now its fallen off to the point where Im worried if Im even going to have a job, Im thinking of selling the truck but dont really want to. Ive put a lot of money into it and really the only thing left is the paint job. Im curious if there'd be any serious interest in this truck as it really dont look like Im going to be secure enough to travel around the country and compete like I was planning on. Selling it makes the most since money wise to me right now with things like they are and a wife a 3 kids. Im scared to add up what Ive really put into this truck but I think Id accept a offer somewhere around 18/19k; that dont touch what it cost to build a truck at this level.

For those of you that want a competitive Pro Street truck for next season and dont have the ability, money, or time to build one this would be a cool deal and get me out of a bind at the same time. I'll be posting pictures when I can, and feel free to call me and ask questions about it as well. 214-532-1745 Thanks, Bruce Smith

Is this the previous version of the truck?
That sure looks like Bruce's truck. LOL I remember the peeling tailgate paint!

This truck will definitely be damn fast with those updates!

Damn, I wish I had that kind of cash handy!

Regards,
Michael Pliska

Is this the previous version of the truck?

Yes sir, thats me. I had just finished putting it together and it even had a ve pump on it then. I made a couple passes with the ve on a near other wise stock engine in the truck and it ran 8.20's. It has a lot of engine now and no telling what it will run, and the good thing is it will all get to the ground; Ryan set up the ladderbar like his Black Truck and told me 60's should me in the 1.30-1.40's just like his was if we hit the tires hard enough.

Does it make since to put the truck in the body shop and get it nice and straight and in flat black primer and add that to the price, or leave it as is and let the new owner do what they please? It's pretty straight now but like any 20 year old truck it has a few places that need body work, but thiers no rust damage anywhere, its a Very solid truck. Ive put a very nice cage in the truck also but hope its fast enough to have to add a little more to it to be legal; 9.99 or faster. Im thinking it can be up running and race ready in the next 2-3 weeks.

Bruce

Bruce, sounds like you have a winner lined up. Hope I can line up with you again in Ennis or Crandall. That is a sweet truck someone will be getting if you sell it. Good luck with whatever direction you go.

Thanks guys, I am going to try to post pics, I have not been sucessful as of yet but I think I have it figured out.

On this time slip I am on right. The twin set up is while building before coating.

Attachments

• truck.jpg
    truck.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 0
  • mail.jpg
    mail.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 0
  • slip.jpg
    slip.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 0
  • cam.jpg
    cam.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 0
Another picture

Engine's assembled all went well, going back in truck this weekend should be up and running again with in a couple weeks.

No comments or opinions on body work/ primer? I really dont want to spend the money on it but Im thinking it might would sell better if it was perfectly straight and in a good flat black epoxy primer? The sale price would have to reflect the work but it might be worth it for some. Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks
Bruce

Attachments

• Bruce Ennis.jpg
    Bruce Ennis.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 0
I believe iv meet you at prarie hill track atthe time I drove a all blacked out 96 12v. My mom lives right around the corner from you in coolidge. if you not the same owner then never mind! I think the truck would look good in flat black primer.

Bruce I would guess it depends on if you have a painter that can do good cheap work. Those three words usually dont come hand in hand, but sometimes they do. If you do then yes I would paint it. If you are paying retail you might as well leave it alone and let the new owner paint it and deduct it from the sale price.

it doesnt have to be "pretty" to be fast!!!!!!!!!

show quality paint is great....... but the "ratty rods" get just as much attention

Couple more pics

Truck pics

Attachments

• mail.jpg
    mail.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Topica.jpg
    Topica.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7162.jpg
    IMG_7162.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6706.jpg
    IMG_6706.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 0
Couple pictures. Im getting close to having it back running, can't wait. Finances are not getting any better it looks like Im for sure going to have to sell the truck. Any one want to make me an offer as is once its up running and track ready? Im still thinking it will be a couple weekends possibly three before its there. It's been a long winter.

Bruce Smith
214-532-1745

Attachments

• tn[1].jpg
    tn[1].jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Resize2.jpg
    Resize2.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Couple pictures. Im getting close to having it back running, can't wait. Finances are not getting any better it looks like Im for sure going to have to sell the truck. Any one want to make me an offer as is once its up running and track ready? Im still thinking it will be a couple weekends possibly three before its there. It's been a long winter.

Bruce Smith
214-532-1745

Bruce what did you hit them valve covers up with? Engine looks good.

Back