"OLD UGLY" Re-Visited Build Thread #RonA #DPF Challenge 2016

This is all sooo over whelming. lol

That truck was "inspirational" to me when I saw it in DP magazine and have always kept it as a standard in my mind of what fukin BAD@SS is!

Excited to see what else is in store!

Well now I have a little time to update this thread. Work and family has taken all of my spare time but I have some time off to enjoy some family time and Thanksgiving so I figured I'll get to updating.

So after completion of this truck to where you see it I was excited to take it out for a ride. Plenty of slow cruise testing to ensure the wheels or axles were not going to fall off before I started to lay into the skinny. All slow testing was good still the ole rough riding first gen but fun to drive. I proceeded to make some harder pulls in drive while rolling and it was quick to respond and I sure could feel the difference being a lighter truck compared to my previous third gen quad cab.

After a few days we had some nice weather and I finished bolting on the front end grill and bumper hood etc. I proceeded to take it to my testing grounds near my shop long wide open country roads. First big launch I left with 35 lbs of boost it was scary and disappointing at the same time. The truck took off like an animal the first 150' or so and immediately darted to the right of the road heading straight for the ditch. It was not a slow pull or veer or anything it was like someone spun the truck 90 degree's and said have fun. LOL

It took all my attention to keep it from dropping down 20' into a culvert. I was able to back up with 8" to spare from the edge of the culvert and proceeded to drive back to the shop. I pulled back in and put the truck on my lift to see what the hell was happening to make that pull like that.

Upon inspection I checked every bolt and joint and ensure it was torqued to spec. I found some things not as tight as they should so I went back out for more testing. Made some hard pulls without launching just slow roll on's and as soon as this nasty motor came onto boost full song 3rd gear locked it did the same thing but now it’s worse because I'm going faster :nail: I forgot to mention all of this is while in 4WD making these pulls. When I would make pulls in 2WD it would just blow the rear tires off and seem normal but traction was very limited of course and that's not fun. All of this is happening with a CR 6.7 based more making over 1200 hp at the time.

Back to the drawing board as I pulled back to the shop and continued to make changes and research others having these problems. However finding anyone besides guys like Cole Dow etc I was coming up short. I started to look into the axles and the traction along with axle wrap. I spent the whole summer trying different things to make this truck launch straight and quit darting left to right it was expensive and frustrating at the same time. The front Dana 60 was an open diff so the famous one wheel peel is all you get with it. The rear was a Dana 80 limited slip and seemed ok at the time so I upgraded my cross over steering bar.

We built a heavy wall CM bar tied into each steering knuckle with a 3/4" heim joints. Wanted to eliminate any chance of getting a little flex from the stocker. Went out made some pulls same thing. Built some front bars to limit the axle wrap from happening on the front leaf’s and while it did improve some it was way to sketchy still. Basically the Dana 60 front passenger is only driven wheel up front when in 4X4 since being an open diff and the Dana 80 rear driver side was the only wheel with positive traction most of the time. I believe the LSD was getting worn out.
I pulled the front diff and installed a new limited slip trac-lock in which at the time this was a very rare find. After it was all installed I went out for more testing and while it was better the darting was still there at higher speeds only :nail:.

I parked the truck for a bit until I could get some more time to figure out what was going on. One weekend I decided to install my Go Pro moving it into four different locations under the chassis and started to watch for anything I could find pointing me in the right direction. First thing I noticed was nothing LOL. After moving it around I noticed the driver side front tire would come up as the torque came on hard. I found some excitement because I may have found the culprit of the driver’s side frame rail being yanked up drastically from torque causing the passenger wheel and tire to wobble like a shopping cart. Or so I thought because you couldn't see it wobble in the video at all just the frame pulling up and then a hard pull toward the side of the road.

I came up with a plan to build a crazy looking CM brace to bolt to the frame, and to my cage mount and the firewall to help gusset and minimize the frame flex in the chassis. It was worth the effort to try since so far I am now in the late summer and I haven't been able to use the truck at any decent power levels. I also had the camber and caster re-checked again to see if something was out of wack. We adjusted the caster to minimize this situation and get out for more testing. While again this helped a wee bit more it was nowhere near safe and still darting left or right had a mind of its own. I also planned on making a lot more power then 1200 at the time so it would only amplify when I do bump it up even more.

IMG_2458_zpsqsqj1rgs.jpg
[/URL]

IMG_2461_zpslvoxocbk.jpg
[/URL]

IMG_2465_zpskxozrekr.jpg
[/URL]

This is where anger and disappointment leads to depression :lolly:
So much time, effort and hard earned money and I am now left with a rough riding expensive old Ugly that was better off with a 450hp VE motor in it.

Now you may be thinking why did it work for RonA. Hell I don't know I did notice if I tuned it to bring on the power slower it would act better on the road but what the hell kind of fun is in that when you have well over 1200 hp on tap. I was able to get close to full power at the end of the power band but still a challenge and required a lot of effort. I kept researching looking for others having the same issue. Even watched Cole Dow’s video’s nonstop and if you notice him early on his truck was all over the place which was the same thing I was getting but amplified even more darting left to right. So I don’t know what to say.

I came to the conclusion since I switched the truck to a CR the torque naturally comes in faster which is when it causes it to go out of control. Again just an assumption I’m sure I am wrong but I did simulate this many times pulling power out down low and bring it in slowly at the end and all was better but that's not fun now is it LOL

There is more I have done then what I have just explained hell I have forgotten the amount of time and people I have talked too and others that have looked at it and couldn’t figure out how to stop it other than pulling the frame again and adding more metal and bracing etc. I was at that point now it’s getting late in the fall of 2014 and I just wanted my truck to work before the snow was going to fly and I have to park it.

I thought about it for awhile and realized my primary use of the truck is for a truck to do anything not dedicated to one thing and not the best at one thing just a good overall contender of everything. One of those on my list was DD driving and while the old first gen theme is neat it’s still a rough riding rattling box of metal nowhere near comfortable of longer duration's of time in it. My primary driver is my 4th gen mega cab so it’s for sure drastic difference riding from one to the other.

I started to brainstorm the idea of just removing this damn cheap ass flexi first gen frame with a silly steering setup and axle configuration and put an entirely different proven chassis under it to gain strength, better axle geometry and a better ride on and off road. Most important being able to put even more power thru this truck and not have to struggle to maintain going straight. If I was launching or hard roll on’s I didn’t want to deal with the death darting anymore. This was not death wobble at all just to be clear.

Snow has now hit the ground and it was a time to get something done.
I stumbled across a for sale thread on here with a member that had posted having a newer third gen regular cab 4X4 frame with partial axles for sale along with some other things including a third gen truck cab and a clean 06 2WD regular cab complete with no motor and trans. The deal was taking it all for one cost and it was a great deal at that. I made contact with him and bought everything. Sent my flat bed and trailer down to load everything up and bring it back to the shop. I was able to sell some of the small stuff and an extra cab and recoup some cash.

My new plan was to take the regular cab 4X4 frame and graft it into this first gen. I had enough of the first gen frame and was determined with the idea of removing it and starting over. So after much debate and discussing with my guys at the shop they looked at me funny and said are you serious we are cutting and taking this truck apart. I said hell yes we are. First gen with custom built coil over suspension that I can dial in for a better ride and support big power all in the same old Ugly first gen truck body.

So we talked about how this would be done and the work begun. My idea was to leave the motor, trans in the truck and hang the truck cab, engine, trans and all the wiring along with the piping and mechanical's in the air above my lift. We would then lower the original frame out from under the truck using the two post lift arms and the the rest would hang from the support beams I already had above my lift. This would save a bunch of time and it will be easier to graft the new third gen frame under the first gen truck. Sounds easy right? LOL.

Finally here is some pictures show the process of the work while I think it was easier it was still a chit ton of work. For some reason I cannot find all the pictures of us removing the frame and fitting the new one. There was a ton of work in just that but you you get the idea.

So here is how it sat then we started ripping it apart again.

IMG_1913_zpsqn0lo26m.jpg
[/URL]

This was shot earlier in the late summer when I was trying everything to keep it going straight. I even had my slicks on it just to try different traction scenario's.

IMG_2256_zpss9pfal9w.jpg
[/URL]

Now it was time to do a serious upgrade to the suspension and overall ride of the truck. Everything gets cut off the third gen frame to start over with a different plan.

IMG_3933_zpsbilcabsa.jpg
[/URL]

IMG_3942_zpsyu2h2wzk.jpg
[/URL]

IMG_3947_zpsuzilfrs9.jpg
[/URL]

IMG_3948_zpsqdqien5q.jpg
[/URL]

IMG_3951_zpsqfotspvg.jpg
[/URL]

IMG_3961_zpsdakypqwr.jpg
[/URL]

IMG_3963_zpsrazasqbb.jpg
[/URL]

IMG_3972_zpszxjhisvj.jpg
[/URL]

IMG_3974_zpsjl0uof9o.jpg
[/URL]

Test fit for the new Carli/Deaver springs!

IMG_4110_zpsia4n5hdz.jpg
[/URL]

Its late so I will update this more on the weekend with a ton of pictures of the process and upgrades.

So much awesome in this thread my head is spinning.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk

So back in 2012 I bought a brand new Megacab and did a buildup with only 40 miles on the truck ended up pulling the motor and build the bottom end and work the head over yada yada. Besides making power and a driveline to handle the abuse I was bit by the performance suspension bug. Spent some time on DTX reading and learning what I could. I have never been a fan of big mud tire lifted trucks or mall crawlers. However small 3” stuff with 35’s and some 37's look great to me. I wanted to get a better ride in my Mega since I planned on putting a ton of seat time hooking decent weighted trailers and of course DD duty.

In fall of 2012 my Megacab driveline was complete so I looked into all makes of suspension companies and their offerings. I decided on going with Sage Carli stuff. I bought his Pintop 2.5 package with full leafs, long travel bags, sway bar and a few other components. When the pallet hit the dock it was on by the next day. The finished product was amazing on and off road just soaks up big bumps, huge curbs, cracks and expansion joints. Anyway after having the 2.5 setup for a few years I’ve wanted to build something with more capability that can possibly leave the ground in some cases. I happen to live in a area with lots of sand dunes and also not to far from Silver Lake Dunes with plenty of sand racing and off road terrain.

Over the last 20 years I had a group of buddies that played out there regularly with our Jeep’s etc . I had a Jeep with an awful suspension setup but it went just about anywhere you wanted to go and always guaranteed to be under powered :hehe:. So while brainstorming this new chassis and suspension change I decided to make this truck also capable of doing some sand drags, hill climbs and bombing high speed whoops all in a first Gen LOL.

Getting back to the chassis swap the overall 3rd gen regular cab 4X4 frame has a 11” longer wheel base. I thought about extending the bed sides to match it and keep the longer wheel base but I didn’t know what the truck would look like with a 9’ bed so I decided to adjust the wheel base and ride height by removing the spring perch’s as seen in the above pictures. This allowed me to re-center my rear axle to the first gen body and adjust the rake a bit. Even though the wheel base was 11” longer we set the wheelbase to 9” shorter as it seemed to work out better for centering the rear wheels in the fender well. So technically the first gen is now 2.75” longer in wheel base counting the front axle moving forward to accommodate the lift and radius arms.

So after much debate for my suspension build I bought most of these parts from Cody at CJC offroad who was great to deal with and offered the best pricing overall for my sub-components.
I bought my parts in stages when I could get a deal and custom order some and do the wait game which was ok since winter was set in and my trucks are not getting in the salt.

Build List Details:

Thruen King 3.0’s for the front with stage 3 shock tuning.
Carli 3.5” quad tube bypass’s for the rear. Custom tuned for this setup with plenty of adjustability in the bypass’s for terrain and use changes.
DT Profab Radius arms with upgraded uni ball joints.
Carli track bar with upgraded EMF joint at the axle.
Carli Progressive 3” coils
Carli /Deaver 3” full leafs
Upgraded Big Borg Steering Box
EMF big ass steering upgrade. (work of art)
Carli AAM 9.25 Truss
Carli ball joints
High flow power steering and large cooler upgrade
Thruren rear shackles
King 2.5 bump stops front and rear (working on mounts yet)
Detroit tru trac for the front AAM 9.25 3:73 gears
New axles and u joints and seals while I was already in there.
Grizzly locker for the rear AAM 11.5 3:73 gears

Wheels and tires are still up for debate. I want a forged wheel but haven't been able to find anything I like yet. So for now its on some OEM 18" stock wheels and 33" tera grapplers until I can decide a wheel and tire combo. My slicks fit very well and look nice and stupid mounted to the truck :hehe:

There’s more just covered the big upgrades and changes to “Old Ugly”
I can tell you this truck rides freaking amazing. If you can block out the noise of being a rattle box first gen you would think your riding in a 4th gen the handling is awesome and plush. From the looks it sits higher but it handles turns and big angle changes like a lowered truck I have no fear in the turns when I hammer the skinny.

IMG_4115_zpsly6himgj.jpg
[/URL]

IMG_4117_zpsudh8pytb.jpg
[/URL]

IMG_4123_zpswqoyhfm6.jpg
[/URL]

Awesome to see that you are putting in a suspension that you can use. And 3.0, 3.5 shocks very nice.

This is all sooo over whelming. lol

That truck was "inspirational" to me when I saw it in DP magazine and have always kept it as a standard in my mind of what fukin BAD@SS is!

Excited to see what else is in store!

Awesome work bud!

Thank you

Still anxiously checking every couple days for some more updates... :)

Ha Ha yeah I respect guys that put long threads together as it eats up a bunch of time getting things sorted out and pictures organized. I have a few gig of pictures I have misplaced of the old chassis removal and install of the third gen. I hope to find it as it was funny seeing the truck hanging in the air with the motor and trans but without any frame under it.

Awesome to see that you are putting in a suspension that you can use. And 3.0, 3.5 shocks very nice.

:Cheer: Agree this should be an option for every new 4X4 truck sold today. My first gen handles so so nice seems foreign to say that but I laugh when guys hold the grab bar going over huge nasty tracks, curbs or whoops as it just soaks it up. One positive result of the radius arm setup is I can let go of the wheel and the truck will drive straight for days :hehe:. The long travel air bags makes towing loads easy its never an issue with my Mega on a tongue heavy trailer. I have pre planned for mounting already so I can throw some on this build soon. I did mount a hitch so I can tow with it.

Freezingsystems, have you got a build thread on your 2012 Mega? I'd be interested in the details on it. Kind of thinking of building my 2014 mega. What transmission are you running? Thanks and sorry to derail the old ugly thread.

IMG_4124_zpskrbhubup.jpg
[/URL]

Time to cut these silly short arms off.

IMG_4134_zpsdcn1frip.jpg
[/URL]

IMG_4272_zps74tcxr6g.jpg
[/URL]

IMG_4290_zpsrzhbu7w6.jpg
[/URL]

IMG_4300_zpslet71lyy.jpg
[/URL]

Now that the stock arms and frame brackets have been removed we filled any marks from removal with weld then blended with the frame.

Time for mock up the new radius arms.

IMG_4127_zpspicstgky.jpg
[/URL]

IMG_4128_zpsbaw325la.jpg
[/URL]

The aluminum advertisement plates were removed once we finished mounting the brackets. For the money I'm impressed with their quality and finished parts. I did buy these a lot cheaper before the drastic increase in price. Before it was hard to beat their kit versus building your own. Now not so much if you have the shop, time and skills.
IMG_4122_zps3hlhm3gw.jpg
[/URL]

IMG_4132_zpst9vie3qn.jpg
[/URL]

I can't read this thread anymore, you've already caused me to buy a 93 reg cab W350, already have a pullout 6.7.......and now I'm looking for a rolling 3rd gen donor frame :doh:
Lol, what you're building here is my dream truck bud!

On another note, I've had the Carli 2.5 pintop kit on my 15 megacab for about 500 miles now and LOVE it! I was worried when I bought the kit that it'd be to stiff and ruin the ride, but just like you said, it just soaks up anything and rides amazing. And CJC got me the hookup on the full system also, they're good dudes.

I feel bad that you ended up with such an enormous project Chris. That being said, could I send my 260Z to you and have you finish up the twins? Feel free to make changes if you want.:hehe:

I feel bad that you ended up with such an enormous project Chris. That being said, could I send my 260Z to you and have you finish up the twins? Feel free to make changes if you want.:hehe:

I'm the only one to blame for what I have done and created :hehe:.

Sure send the Z over!!! I'll get on it right after I finish all of my projects. Should be worth more since it would be a relic by then. :lolly: The only thing I can truly blame you on is you planting the seed on me wanting to do a big power 2JZ project in something really light. Hmmm like a Z for instance. LOL

I'm thinking television spin off called " Frozen Guys Garage"?
I jest, but am in awe of your project.
RonA

Wished I had all your fabrication skills. Truely a work of art for sure keep up the good pics and thread!

Back