Picked up an Arctic Cat 700 Diesel

Whitbread

I know this is the import section and I'm talking about a four wheeler made in USA, but hey, it has a Lombardini engine in it and a VW TDI hauled it from Oklahoma to Ohio LOL

Found her on craigslist by dumb luck google searching as search tempest didn't find it. It's a 2008 with only 400 miles on it. PO in is in the military and bought it brand new in Alaska when he was stationed up there. It's one of only 4 to get delivered up there in 08. He got re-stationed to Lawton OK and no longer had a use for the monster. It's never sat outside a night in it's life and has only seen snow or desert dirt. The brake rotors were actually rusty from sitting in the garage so much haha.

Anyway, here's a few pics

2011-06-01235018.jpg

2011-06-01234904.jpg

2011-05-29180220.jpg

2011-06-01234850.jpg

The day after I brought it home I had to turn up the fuel and bump timing. It was so slow it wasn't right. The 28" tires don't help, but damn, it was a slug. After the fueling bump, I took the spark arrestor out and added a second tailpipe. You can actually hear a little rumble now and it will get out of its own way :)
2011-06-01234938.jpg

Next mods will be snorkels and then an IHI RHB31 this fall (worlds smallest production turbo). A few governor tweaks should just about do it after that. I have a banshee for going fast, this is the work/putting around toy.

awesome, I need to do up our snowmobile clibs RTV1100

What did it go for?
Something that rare would scare me for parts availability.

Looks cool tho!

What did it go for?
Something that rare would scare me for parts availability.

Looks cool tho!
I got it for $5700. It also came with a brand new spare tire and a hard gun case that mounts to the rack.

They're not hard to get parts for at all. The chassis is the same as any other Arctic Cat and it's been a production model since 07 so AC has a stash of engine parts stateside.

Looks good Matt!!!

If it breaks, I'm sure matt will make his own parts lol
Thanks! I'll have to ride it down and drag your outlander around the farm :p

I remember polaris had a diesel 4wheeler and it was a complete dog. I didn't even know artic cat made one. How does it run?

I Don't Think He'll Do It!!!!!:poke:
You should know me well enough by now :evil

I remember polaris had a diesel 4wheeler and it was a complete dog. I didn't even know artic cat made one. How does it run?
Yeah, they're not super popular/common since they won't do 70mph like every other "utility" quad these days will. So therefore most potential buyers pass on them with exception of some ranchers and farmers.

With stock fuel settings, it had zero balls. Probably not much faster than the old Polaris clunkers. An hour after I had my hands in the Cat, MUCH better. It's still no rocketship, but it'll get out of it's own way and actually feels torquey now. I'm sure the 28" tires don't help in the power delivery department though. But that's why a turbo is in the works :woohoo:

If anyone knows of where to find some atv sled pulls around ohio/indiana I'd love to see how the thing does against some gas quads :st:

Hey Shaw, guess it's getting turbo'd sooner than expected. I just won a little snail off e bay for $160 :Cheer:

Could have just bought my Grizzly and be out doing wheelies on your "utility" atv...... LOL

I would like to see how the axles hold up to a turbo though.

Could have just bought my Grizzly and be out doing wheelies on your "utility" atv...... LOL

I would like to see how the axles hold up to a turbo though.
Nah, I have a very heavily modded banshee for going fast and doing wheelies. I'm one of the weird people these days that actually buys a utility atv for doing work and leisurely trail riding. I've never liked the feeling of 70mph on a 800lb machine that's 3 feet of the ground; it's spooky to me. I guess I'm just used to my banshee that feels perfectly stable at 95+ mph. Since I'm a diesel nut, needed a utility, and wanted a 2 seater, this was the logical choice :Cheer:

I'm not worried about the axles at all. Stock thundercats put out 60+hp running the same diffs and axles without issues. Since I'm starting with less than 20hp, I'll be happy to hit 35-40hp with the turbo.

Last edited:
Nah, I have a very heavily modded banshee for going fast and doing wheelies. I'm one of the weird people these days that actually buys a utility atv for doing work and leisurely trail riding. I've never liked the feeling of 70mph on a 800lb machine that's 3 feet of the ground and only 4 feet wide; it's spooky to me. I guess I'm just used to my banshee that feels perfectly stable at 95+ mph. Since I'm a diesel nut, needed a utility, and wanted a 2 seater, this was the logical choice :Cheer:

I'm not worried about the axles at all. Stock thundercats put out 60+hp running the same diffs and axles without issues. Since I'm starting with less than 20hp, I'll be happy to hit 35-40hp with the turbo.

Fixed it for you.

Nice find by the way.

Fixed it for you.

Nice find by the way.
Haha thanks! I just think it's funny that a "utility" atv won't sell unless it has over 60hp and does 75mph nowadays. I've ridden AC Thundercats and Can-Am renegades and yeah they're fast and fun, but throw some turns in and they handle like sh!t compared to an actual sport quad.

Dun dun dun..... The mail man brought gifts today :ft:

2011-06-10201941.jpg

Haha thanks! I just think it's funny that a "utility" atv won't sell unless it has over 60hp and does 75mph nowadays. I've ridden AC Thundercats and Can-Am renegades and yeah they're fast and fun, but throw some turns in and they handle like sh!t compared to an actual sport quad.

Dun dun dun..... The mail man brought gifts today :ft:

2011-06-10201941.jpg

Couldnt agree more. For the longest time I had a full mod banshee also(420 cheetah motor) things was down right fun at the track and scary fast in the trails.:badidea: It loved to over heat and burned gas like it had hole in the tank. Sold it as I was sick of tired of almost killing my self every time I went riding. Bought a Sportsman 500 EFI although I could go thru just about everything I need to it was boring. I owned it for less then a year and sold it. It was slow,heavy, and cornered like a school bus compared to my banshee.

I have been looking for a Polaris diesel wheeler to have around the house to just say I have a diesel four wheeler. Up to this point I didnt even realise Cat made a Diesel Wheeler. Do they Still?

Post some pics of it when your building the turbo up for that. I wonder how much boost you can put thru that motor with out it giving up the ghost?

I'm currently working on doing a turbo r1 motor in a banshee. I bought a rolling banshee frame for 100 dollars with everythign minus the motor. Picked up a EFI motor and everything to go with it for 400. Have a gt2871 laying around from my turbo sled days that will go on it. Should be close to 300hp of course I have no clue what I'm going to use it for but it sure has been fun to build so far.

Unlike many other people that length the frame when doing this swap I'm leaving it 100% stock frame with some bracing mods.

Maybe I should give up on the R1 and have the first diesel banshee. :badidea:

im looking to get a can-am 650 for me and the wife to cruise on. my go fast ride used to be a CR500.. bored to a 505, ported and polished, and numerous other things, would consistently dyno over 100hp to the wheel. kinda sad that i sold it, but i was ready to have something that didnt burn 75 bucks in fuel every time i rode it

Couldnt agree more. For the longest time I had a full mod banshee also(420 cheetah motor) things was down right fun at the track and scary fast in the trails.:badidea: It loved to over heat and burned gas like it had hole in the tank. Sold it as I was sick of tired of almost killing my self every time I went riding. Bought a Sportsman 500 EFI although I could go thru just about everything I need to it was boring. I owned it for less then a year and sold it. It was slow,heavy, and cornered like a school bus compared to my banshee.

I have been looking for a Polaris diesel wheeler to have around the house to just say I have a diesel four wheeler. Up to this point I didnt even realise Cat made a Diesel Wheeler. Do they Still?

Post some pics of it when your building the turbo up for that. I wonder how much boost you can put thru that motor with out it giving up the ghost?
Hauling ass, drinking gas, and running hot, sounds like a normal banshee :hehe:. Mine is just drag ported, bored, piped, carb'ed, and works shocks all the way around. More than enough to remind you that you have to treat the beast with respect.

Yeah, Arctic Cat has made the diesel since 07. They dropped it in 09, but brought it back for '10 and '11. With the fueling and timing tweaks it's peppy enough to keep you entertained. I'm sure the old Polaris diesels are an absolute slug.

There's already a guy in Canada that beat me to turboing the Cat. He's running a Mitsu TD02 turbo. Says he turbo'ed it the month he bought it in 07 and now has over 4000Km on it at 15psi with zero troubles at all. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aehsrRGdLuE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aehsrRGdLuE[/ame]

That banshee sounds like a hell of a fun project! I'd love to take it for a spin and hold the fu@k on!

What small hands you have Matt!!!!!! LOL
Hey now, I don't think my hands are that small. I'm not jolly green giant like you, but I'm not Kraig either LOL

im looking to get a can-am 650 for me and the wife to cruise on. my go fast ride used to be a CR500.. bored to a 505, ported and polished, and numerous other things, would consistently dyno over 100hp to the wheel. kinda sad that i sold it, but i was ready to have something that didnt burn 75 bucks in fuel every time i rode it
I hear you on the fuel thing. I can burn 6 gallons a day in the banshee not trying. Over a couple days I'll spend damn near more in fuel for the bike than I would the tow rig to get there haha. Since I do a lot of off roading trips with trucks and buggies, that means lots of idling and putting at times. I'm really hoping the diesel AC will fare much better with fuel usage than the banshee in those circumstances.

Last edited:
Last year the Bass Pro in Jackson had a diesel model, brand new, no miles, but 2years old, they wanted around 7k on it.

I was very, very tempted LOL

Back