POLL: Change SuperStreet to 10.50

10.50 index instead of Super Street?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Ken didn't we meet at the Motel and have this discussion with Stelly? You seemed to be in favor of it then??

11.50, 10.0, 8.50:nail:

Honestly if nhrda went to an all index style like you continually lobby for it would have nothing to offer me that I couldn't get a whole lot closer to home. I would probably stop nhrda if it went to all index classes. save me a lot of driving.

Your proposed way to grow the sport comes at the expense of all those who are currently in the sport building vehicles to fit the rules.

7500 lbs min? I'd have to ADD 300#s to my DD 3/4ton 4x4!

how about 6500 lbs min and fuel only.

IMO, index racing sux. Whats the point of building a 9 sec truck to run 10.5 and slamming the brakes @ the line? stupid.

also- rules should prevent cross-entering classes. No reason for PS guys dropping down to SS for easy wins.

weight and fuel(s) allowed is a great limit to allow the sport to grow without a lot of BS.

7500 lbs min? I'd have to ADD 300#s to my DD 3/4ton 4x4!

how about 6500 lbs min and fuel only.

IMO, index racing sux. Whats the point of building a 9 sec truck to run 10.5 and slamming the brakes @ the line? stupid.

also- rules should prevent cross-entering classes. No reason for PS guys dropping down to SS for easy wins.

weight and fuel(s) allowed is a great limit to allow the sport to grow without a lot of BS.

:doh: :bang

What PS guys do you see running in SS? Fuel Only?

For the record while I like the idea of 10.50 index I think a 10.90 Index is a more practical way to go. We also have a bunch of 10.90 index events for people to run in gasser events as well. That would only help expose the sport to more people.

I have gone back and forth on the index classes for the prostreet and superstreet trucks. Finishing high in the national points in any class is as much or more a function of attending a lot of races v/s winning them. I agree that Max'd Out is the Bellwether for the Super Street class. There are a couple of trucks being built right now for the specific purpose of trying to beat Rob. Talk to Brian Spooner or Tory and ask them, they are nipping at Rob's heals and I seriously doubt would want to be capped by an index. Putting in an index on Superstreet would not help the class it would kill it.

I have never been opposed to ther 10.90 index for super diesel, mainly because my truck would shine in that class. But I don't push it due to the guys whose trucks run 11.90 but couldn't run 10.90 nor want to install the safety equipment required to compete in that class. The 11.90 class is a hoot to race, you don't have to worry about breaking and all you have to worry about is cutting a good light and not breaking out.

I think the record for Superstreet will eventually end up in the 9.30 range and the Prostreet record in the 8.80 range. That a huge difference. If and when we get more trucks that can run 10.50 and not take away for the existing Superstreet class and Superdiesel class then I'd be all for it. As of now those trucks don't exist or at least don't come and race.

That is exactly my point! They don’t race. They are there they just feel slowing to 11.90 is too much more so for the 12V guys or feel what’s the point of going to anything other than local events when they are so out classed in SS or PS. Texas alone myself, Max, Scott and I know of at least 2 others who would fit the class. Then spoke to 3 others from LA who would also run the class. Several of us have been debating whether or not to scrap our current setups thus eliminating that many more people from the sport its self. How does that benefit the sport? Again where is the transition from 11.90 to a 10.00-9.50 class? Let’s look at who has come in and been competitive in these class’s the last 2 years. Big money corporate sponsored cars. Where does this leave the entry level guys working on small budgets trying to advance?

Well Max'd Out was anything but a big money corporate sponsored car, and I have a receipt file 5" thick to prove it. It only got sponsored after it paid it's dues and started winning. If there are a bunch of 10 sec trucks out there that are not racing because they don't think they have a chance, just look at what happened in Ennis. a 10.2 truck won the whole thing. That happens a fair amount.

Show me 10 trucks in the country that would sign a petition that says they didn't race in any NHRDA event due to the SS class being too fast and they they would race if there was a 10.50 index class and maybe you will have a point. I say they don't race and that is just an excuse. Maybe try the class in the big events such as Phoenix, Texas, Indy and Edmonton and see what happens. It would never make it at the smaller events such as Redding, Woodburn, Mission, Brainerd, Virginia, and Billings. Don't know about the Fl race.

i go to the races to have fun, drink whiskey, see friends, and meet new people

when my truck is back up on the road it might make it to a few races, i dont care what class i'm in but i will try for 2 class's just to keep occupied...not being rushed is no fun LOL

Well Max'd Out was anything but a big money corporate sponsored car, and I have a receipt file 5" thick to prove it. It only got sponsored after it paid it's dues and started winning.

Maybe try the class in the big events such as Phoenix, Texas, Indy and Edmonton and see what happens. It would never make it at the smaller events such as Redding, Woodburn, Mission, Brainerd, Virginia, and Billings. Don't know about the Fl race.

First point fair enough but sponsors were slim for all back then also. As I pointed out now it takes big money to do it.

Your second point is a fair enough concern. I would be more likely to travel more if I thought I could compete in the class. I would hope others would be of like mind.

... Big money corporate sponsored cars. Where does this leave the entry level guys working on small budgets trying to advance?

We build Torrey's truck out of my 2 car garage, I don't even have a hoist. Every dollar to this point has come out of Torrey's own pocket. We have had some help along the way with some parts or labour sponsorship's (nothing free, just decent deals). This is Torrey's passion so all of his expendable income / days off go into running this truck. We would love a big corporate sponsorship, and are actively seeking sponsors, but to this point it has been a "small budget" endeavour.

I put "small budget" in quotations as anyone who races heads up anything realizes this is a relative term.

A corporate sponsor at this point would just mean we could travel further and make more events, as well as have more spare parts to maintain through those events.

Well Max'd Out was anything but a big money corporate sponsored car, and I have a receipt file 5" thick to prove it. It only got sponsored after it paid it's dues and started winning. If there are a bunch of 10 sec trucks out there that are not racing because they don't think they have a chance, just look at what happened in Ennis. a 10.2 truck won the whole thing. That happens a fair amount.

Show me 10 trucks in the country that would sign a petition that says they didn't race in any NHRDA event due to the SS class being too fast and they they would race if there was a 10.50 index class and maybe you will have a point. I say they don't race and that is just an excuse. Maybe try the class in the big events such as Phoenix, Texas, Indy and Edmonton and see what happens. It would never make it at the smaller events such as Redding, Woodburn, Mission, Brainerd, Virginia, and Billings. Don't know about the Fl race.

:clap:

Honestly if nhrda went to an all index style like you continually lobby for it would have nothing to offer me that I couldn't get a whole lot closer to home. I would probably stop nhrda if it went to all index classes. save me a lot of driving.

Your proposed way to grow the sport comes at the expense of all those who are currently in the sport building vehicles to fit the rules.

Please explain EXACTLY how it would "come at the expense" of the current racers and the EXACT reasons why you would stop racing NHRDA events?

And "Index racing sucks" is not a valid EXACT answer.

We build Torrey's truck out of my 2 car garage, I don't even have a hoist. Every dollar to this point has come out of Torrey's own pocket. We have had some help along the way with some parts or labour sponsorship's (nothing free, just decent deals). This is Torrey's passion so all of his expendable income / days off go into running this truck. We would love a big corporate sponsorship, and are actively seeking sponsors, but to this point it has been a "small budget" endeavour.

I put "small budget" in quotations as anyone who races heads up anything realizes this is a relative term.

A corporate sponsor at this point would just mean we could travel further and make more events, as well as have more spare parts to maintain through those events.

OK I've watch you post about torrey's truck enough now. torrey has more money in that truck than any of these sponsored trucks. i mean at one point he paid $50,000 for a motor setup. i'm sorry but thats not small budget. great truck, i like torrey but sometimes you talk more zhit than i can swallow. the average guy with a two bay garage don't have what he was able to invest inn. last yr he put three motors in it, the motor you built lasted one weekend in his truck. superstreet has evolved and to be competitive you do need serious coin.

until the truck count goes up big time, i don't see it changing

Last edited:
OK I've watch you post about torrey's truck enough now. torrey has more money in that truck than any of these sponsored trucks. i mean at one point he paid $50,000 for a motor setup. i'm sorry but thats not small budget. great truck, i like torrey but sometimes you talk more zhit than i can swallow. the average guy with a two bay garage don't have what he was able to invest inn. last yr he put three motors in it, the motor you built lasted one weekend in his truck. superstreet has evolved and to be competitive you do need serious coin.

I have never built an engine for that truck. Curtis's engine was in it in Mission, and Matt's engine was in it until the end of the season. I am sure you have spent as much on engines this year as Torrey has.

Yes previous to my involvement Torrey did spend a ton of money on his racing effort. Last year our single biggest expense was the shipping on torque converters. You talk to Torrey on a regular basis I'm sure you know we fought that most of the season.

Shawn, I could build a competitive super street truck in my two car garage for less then what you say Torrey spent on an engine, including the truck. I honestly have no idea how much the engine from Curtis cost, as that was prior to my involvement. The engine that Matt built was, cheaper then I could just supply the parts for it.

That has been my number one goal since I started helping Torrey, was doing my best to keep racing as close to affordable as I can. No more "$50K (as you say)" engines, no more exotic prototype parts, just good grassroots simple proven setups, and lots of test and tune.

Swallow my sh!t or not, I have nothing to gain by any of this, I have a real job racing is just my hobby, I volunteer every hour I put in, it loses me money every year the same as everyone else who doesn't own a diesel performance shop.

Hey Shawn,

FYI! Before you go making statements false or not. I would make sure the facts are correct!!!

What you claim i paid for services is the exact reason the sport has troubles growing. Some not all, Diesel performance shops, charging unreal prices for inferior products,quality of work & smoke & mirrors.

Sorry about the thread derail.
Now back to the discussion please!

Thanks,
Torrey

Please explain EXACTLY how it would "come at the expense" of the current racers and the EXACT reasons why you would stop racing NHRDA events?

And "Index racing sucks" is not a valid EXACT answer.

your request seems a little demanding dude. I can't say why "EXACTLY" for everyone so I will speak for myself. Although I do believe others will feel "EXACTLY" similar to my answere.

First and foremost
Index racing sucks.

Ok now thats out of the way other almost EXACT reasons I and the rest if SS is getting screwed by your proposal.

I and others built a truck for SS, if I was trying to build a truck to compete in an 8.50 index I surely would have chosen a diffierent truck. Mine is an extended cab 4X4. I got a 4wd because the suspension limitations make it hard to hook a 2 wheel drive, hence the absolute void of rwd SS trucks. SS street is 4wd class all the way. My truck is completely gutted even the bed has been cut out and it still sits a little over 6000lbs. perfect for SS, terrible for an 8.50 index.

So we have a problem people who have been designing to the rules forced to slow down or build a new truck. And I do know that 4x4's are competitve in PS currently but it is not the truck I would have chosen to run in that class or an 8.50 class.

perhaps the question should be asked
Rob, Torrey Spooner,shawn and other SS guys with 9's now or in the future,
If you were building a truck for an 8.50 class with a 2800 lbs minimum weight would you have chosen the truck you currently run in SS or would you have gotten a different vehicle. If you would have chosen a different vehicle would you feel that all the effort money and time spent on your current rule legal truck was a waste, maybe the rule change came at your expense?

as to why I would not continue with nhrda. simple, the closest race is 7 hours away. I can get glorified bracket racing a lot closer than that. If they had a race nearby I would surely still attend, I just can't see going far to attend that style of race and here is why.

I spend a lot more time dreaming about how to go faster than I do behind the wheel at a track. I would say that I enjoy building, designing and thinking about my truck as much as actually racing. the actual race is the payoff of my ideas. going faster than before is the rush, thats what makes the drive worthwhile, racing others with the same passion of trying new crap out. seeing if my crap works better than theirs this time around. or as is most often the case not working as well.

So with your classes my 4x4 truck is not nor ever will be an 8.50 truck. 10.0 while still fast, well once your there your done. No more innovation, dreaming or the majority of my fun. I would not be excited to see what my truck will run with my lastest changes cause I will have made none and will already know I can just adjust for the track and run the #. your rules at the expense of my enjoyment with the current setup.

so the next question.
rob, torrey, spooner, shawn and other SS racers in the 9's or soon to be,
If you would not have chosen your truck for the 8.50 class would you continue to be excited about a class that requires no further thinking on your part? Would you still be excited to just slow down to 10.0 and race. Will you continue driving all over the country to not try out your new stuff?

If your excitement about your rule legal truck is diminished would you feel the rule change came at your expense?

another question should be asked.
All PS competitors.
Your new class has a weight minimum of 2800 lbs. If you were to build a vehicle for this class would you have chosen the vehicle you use now? If not and it becomes apparant that your low 9 second truck cannot compete will you happily jump back to run 10.0 with the former SS crowd? Will you travel all over the country to run 10.0?

I can just see it now. All on diesel tv

BIG DON
" hey randy these two truck, team green and the black mamba are both low 9 second trucks and they might even hit a high 8 second pass."
RANDY
" thats right Big Don we are really excited to see these guys try to run right on the 10.0 dial, makes for real tight fun racing."

I hate your idea so much. Seriously I think it totally sucks.

Back