Proud owner of a TDI!

Got Smoke?

I bought Blueboy's 98 Jetta TDI yesterday! :rockwoot:

From Rochester NY to Ashland OH it used 9.26 gallons of fuel going 330 miles running between 60-75 mph to = 35.6mpg! :snoop:

Drove it back home to Tennessee and it's sitting in the driveway with 406 miles on the trip meter with a hair over 1/4 tank left! This was running 70-80mph home! :rockwoot:

She smoke's little more than I would like (sorry Amos :eek: ) I'm gonna do some research on these tips he installed, but other than that I'm very pleased! Looking forward to getting it tagged & ins'd so I can start using it as my DD.

My 99's about to get very jealous! LOL :hehe:

Congrats Mark. Is it an auto or manual?

5spd, I would not purchause a auto Jetta after some things I've heard. ;)

Sucks though because I was spoiled in my 99...power windows/locks/keyless entry/window tint/Ipod hookup......this thing is manual everything including transmission! LOL

Fill up with 600 miles on the tank and put 13 gallons or less in, you'll get used to it LOL

35mpg is a little low dude.. something's not right unless you were racing everyone on the way home :)

I can't figure out how to get less then 42mpg city/highway/driving_like_an_ass

Jason is correct, the WORST I have seen is 41, and I was not happy to see it! LOL With the cooler weather and not running AC full blast I'm getting 45-48.

Mark has a VW Diesel Guzzler! He's only getting 35 MPG what a rip off..LOL

Everytime I see one of these threads I want to go and get a TDI

I would like to find a TDI, but I can't bring myself to drop the coin.

even 38mpg isnt bad I seem to get 42-43mpg with mostly city and some highway. I did take it up north to check my deer stand and got 48mpg. I thought it was good considering I was running 75-80 for 300 miles. It still beats the heck out of getting 14mpg with my v8 s10.

Jason what are you doing to the exhaust? I cut the muffler of on mine and did a nice turn down tip. Sounds great but its not to loud. Next will be cutting the cat out.

I also was able to fix the rough running when coming to a stop. Turned out my idle IQ was 1.02 and need to be around 4 helped out a ton.

Anyways good luck with it. There fun little cars.

Mike

it's worth it.

it's nice to not worry about parking close, the car is like 3 foot smaller then a truck

I have an intrepid with 194K, salvage title, busted up hood from a hitting a deer, followed by a coyote.

I am not worried about where I park it, LOL!

even 38mpg isnt bad I seem to get 42-43mpg with mostly city and some highway. I did take it up north to check my deer stand and got 48mpg. I thought it was good considering I was running 75-80 for 300 miles. It still beats the heck out of getting 14mpg with my v8 s10.

Jason what are you doing to the exhaust? I cut the muffler of on mine and did a nice turn down tip. Sounds great but its not to loud. Next will be cutting the cat out.

I also was able to fix the rough running when coming to a stop. Turned out my idle IQ was 1.02 and need to be around 4 helped out a ton.

Anyways good luck with it. There fun little cars.

Mike

cat and muffler. found a shop to do it for cash. less headache. I'll see how this runs and consider high flow mufflers. maybe Wally can make a "mini fte resonator"

I got 52@70 before I took a wrench to the car. I can't wait for my next excuse to drive to the datacenter, looking for 58-60mpg

no prius will touch that at that speed.

Last edited:
Straight pipped stock exhaust....

Sounds like a dmax :) VNT chargers make funny noises. :)

Straight pipped stock exhaust....

Sounds like a dmax :) VNT chargers make funny noises. :)

Does it sound good? All the vids on YouTube kinda suck. Most are sitting and revving it, drive-byes would be better. I want to get one, but I'm not sure how I'd feel a)going from a biga$$ truck to a little car again, and b)the far less power and exhaust note

Running to SDX last year, I was hitting triple digits for about 40 miles, 80(ish) the rest of the way, and still came out to 49, the faster you run, the better these cars like it!

The 35mpg wasn't entirely accurate guys but I used the #'s to get a decent idea. Previous owner filled the car up before we came to look at it and didn't reset the trip meter. I drove it liked it and even got a lil ways down the road before I thought to reset it myself. The miles I clocked from somewhere around Rochester NY to Ashland OH where we were staying with friends for the weekend was 330 I filled it up the next day for the trip home. It took 9.26 gallons to go from 3/8 to full. I reset the trip and drove home 420mi, then to emissions testing, work, and finally home on Tuesday. Its sitting in my driveway with 470mi on the trip and still has a 1/4 tank left. I'm waiting on payday to go register it & full it up. My 99 had a full tank so I'm driving it the rest of the week.

Back