Replaced injectors , now oil FULL of fuel

snowbound

Had a shop replace dad's 01 injectors with Bosch remans. They put it back together, handed it over and he left to get tires put on. Finding tools left on the truck , he returned to the shop and they decided to check it over ! It had gained 22 litres of fuel in the oil in less than 10 miles. They tore it apart again , replaced banjo and return line bolts and seals they claim were stripped. After a 10 mile trip , same result , about 20 litres extra oil ! Its been a week already , but they parked it against the healing fence till next week to work on other customers stuff. Any thoughts on the cause ?

That's what I was thinking but they don't want my opinion. These guys were world champs too.

After replacing bolts and seals on return lines they said they saw no leaks. They were not using any dye.

Its been a week already , but they parked it against the healing fence till next week to work on other customers stuff. Any thoughts on the cause ?

:umno: Really ? Seems like they need to get on the ball

They say an injector body must be cracked. Seems like too much fuel for that. Service quality is definity lacking.

I had a brain fart on that previous post. LB7...leaking return fittings or a blown shaft seal on the CP3.

It's not that hard to find the leak. If teh problem started when they did the injectors, logic would dictate it was something that changed while doing the injectors. Sure sounds like a cracked injector body to me. O-rings missing will not cause a fuel leak, and the return lines don't see that much fuel flow. Tell them to pull the valve covers, hook the high pressure lines back up, hook up the fuel lines, hook up the FICM, and start it and look for fuel spraying. It is the only way to tell where it is coming from if it is in fact a high pressure leak as it sounds like it is(a low pressure leak couldn't dump that much fuel that quickly).

They said drivers side return was good but passenger side had return leaks. Unfortunately it filled up with fuel just as quick after the new return bolts and seals.

It's not that hard to find the leak. If teh problem started when they did the injectors, logic would dictate it was something that changed while doing the injectors. Sure sounds like a cracked injector body to me. O-rings missing will not cause a fuel leak, and the return lines don't see that much fuel flow. Tell them to pull the valve covers, hook the high pressure lines back up, hook up the fuel lines, hook up the FICM, and start it and look for fuel spraying. It is the only way to tell where it is coming from if it is in fact a high pressure leak as it sounds like it is(a low pressure leak couldn't dump that much fuel that quickly).

I gotta disagree with ya. Only because ive been there with my own truck, leaving a banjo bolt on the return loose in a mad rush to make it to a truck pull. When i did my head gaskets we started the thing up and let it idle for 20 minutes to a half hour burping the coolant and such. I pulled the stick to check the oil and HOLY fuel. I got a five gallon pail PLUS out of the crank case.

Sounds like the shop knows what they are doing testing the return on each bank (as per the repair manual).......... but it sounds like they are dragging balls to make good on there F**k up though.

I gotta disagree with ya. Only because ive been there with my own truck, leaving a banjo bolt on the return loose in a mad rush to make it to a truck pull. When i did my head gaskets we started the thing up and let it idle for 20 minutes to a half hour burping the coolant and such. I pulled the stick to check the oil and HOLY fuel. I got a five gallon pail PLUS out of the crank case.

Sounds like the shop knows what they are doing testing the return on each bank (as per the repair manual).......... but it sounds like they are dragging balls to make good on there F**k up though.

I also agree to disagree. I left the last banjo bolt loose on my return line were it goes into the back of the head. Within 10 minutes of running at 2400rpms it filled a 5 gallon pale full of oil/fuel+whatever spewd everywhere out the front main seal :(

Hopefully find out soon, they are blaming the injectors because I supplied them. The remans came from the USA for 1/3 of what they wanted here. Now may have to eat a bunch of labor because if they suspect a cracked body , no one within 180 miles can high pressure test them and its $70 ea ! And still have to get injectors here ! Fingers are crossed.

Hopefully find out soon, they are blaming the injectors because I supplied them. The remans came from the USA for 1/3 of what they wanted here. Now may have to eat a bunch of labor because if they suspect a cracked body , no one within 180 miles can high pressure test them and its $70 ea ! And still have to get injectors here ! Fingers are crossed.

FWIW, and maybe someone will correct me. But the last i knew Bosch was the only company remafacturing these injectors, so a reman is from the manufacturer regardless of who you bought it through.

Im gonna be honest with you though, if they aren't going to take care of this, your going to have to pay someone else to do so, and at that point how much did you save buying the injectors elsewhere and bringing them to the shop?

Sounds like at this point they are scape goating and dont want to be bothered. If the injector balance rates are good, and the passenger side return doesn't hold vacuum as per the repair manuals procedure........ My opinion is that if everything the shop is telling you is accurate, its quite obvious the problem is in the return. But my opinion is based on only 1 experience and some extensive reading of the repair manual to diagnose the problem without ripping the whole thing back apart when i was in this boat.

If its an injector issue and they did not supply the injectors what really do you expect them to do? Did you pay them for the work already completed?

Work was paid for a week ago , when they finished to work and turned it over to us the first time. Apparently it wasn't run much at the shop or oil checked before it left. Good thing dad didn't drive it the 350 miles home , would have been a mess if it filled that much in less than 10 miles.

If its an injector issue and they did not supply the injectors what really do you expect them to do? Did you pay them for the work already completed?

I cant disagree with you, but with the information they gave the owner, seems like its there workmanship or a part that wasn't replaced that is the issue.

Dad called the shop after i'd been doin drive bys. He was told at 3pm the truck had been put inside. Drove by at 7 pm , still in the same spot outside. Its been sitting a week , engine full of diesel and we just got 3 inches of rain. Hope everything was buttoned up !

So , rather than running dye or checking injector orings , etc , the shop just put new return and fuel lines on and said they are not the problem. Now they are just going to replace the injectors. There is no place close to high pressure test for body cracks and they want $70 per injector. Balance rates were good so injectors are functioning properly but there is still a fuel leak , a big one. Now , we have no cores other than the remans which I hope I can get warranty on. Might have to give them the truck to cover the bill.

Back