Replaced injectors , now oil FULL of fuel

it is most the time cheaper to buy your parts and have someone install them, but I think of it as insurance when I buy my parts at a higher price from the shop doing the work. So many stories like this and unless your there when tbey fix or find the problem you will never really know. It is always like you said a scape goat situation. Do it yourself or buy your parts from the shop doing the work.

I have seen trucks with cracked injectors have good balance rates before. The only way to truly diagnose a cracked body is to pull the valve covers and reinstall the fuel lines, FICM, etc. and run the truck without valve covers. Crank up the rail with a scan tool and see which ones are blowing fuel. Sounds like you need a new shop to work on the truck.

So what you're saying is they should be able to identify a cracked body by turning up rail pressure manually ? They claim to run it to check for return line leaks but I will assume thats just at idle. Yes , it looks like saving $2000 on injectors will bite me in the @$$. They are definitely going about it differently than I would.

That is right, efi live or a tech 2 is all they need.

May need to go down there and go postal. They claimed parts were on , now parts didn't show up. Told dad it may even be a cracked block ! How is that even possible ?? It ran fine before it went in , just smoky at idle. Now its full of fuel and has a cracked block ? How did these guys win world finals in their duramax a couple years ago , have someone else work on it ? Holy crap !

So , rather than running dye or checking injector orings , etc , the shop just put new return and fuel lines on and said they are not the problem. Now they are just going to replace the injectors. There is no place close to high pressure test for body cracks and they want $70 per injector. Balance rates were good so injectors are functioning properly but there is still a fuel leak , a big one. Now , we have no cores other than the remans which I hope I can get warranty on. Might have to give them the truck to cover the bill.

What does the place you got the injectors from say about all this?

He wanted to see dye used and 98 percent sure its not the injectors. Very concerned about my situation and offered to call the shop direct for me. Could it be the cp3 seal ? It makes a ton of fuel , quick.

Demand that they pull the valve covers off, reinstall the FICM and fuel filter, and then start and run the truck with the valave covers off. This is the ONLY way that you will know where the leak is at. With a scanner tell them to ramp up the rail pressure at idle to 160 while it is idling with the valve covers off and the fuel leak WILL show itself. If they will not do this, then my only suggestion is to call an attorney as they are screwing you HARD!

He wanted to see dye used and 98 percent sure its not the injectors. Very concerned about my situation and offered to call the shop direct for me. Could it be the cp3 seal ? It makes a ton of fuel , quick.

Perhaps you should take him up on that offer.

Demand that they pull the valve covers off, reinstall the FICM and fuel filter, and then start and run the truck with the valave covers off. This is the ONLY way that you will know where the leak is at. With a scanner tell them to ramp up the rail pressure at idle to 160 while it is idling with the valve covers off and the fuel leak WILL show itself. If they will not do this, then my only suggestion is to call an attorney as they are screwing you HARD!

That just might be the only thing left, seems as though the shop isn't interested in figuring out the problem, and at this point they probably figure replacing the injectors is the only way to not lose money on this job.

What is your definition of "quick"?

Had a shop replace dad's 01 injectors with Bosch remans. They put it back together, handed it over and he left to get tires put on. Finding tools left on the truck , he returned to the shop and they decided to check it over ! It had gained 22 litres of fuel in the oil in less than 10 miles. They tore it apart again , replaced banjo and return line bolts and seals they claim were stripped. After a 10 mile trip , same result , about 20 litres extra oil ! Its been a week already , but they parked it against the healing fence till next week to work on other customers stuff. Any thoughts on the cause ?

What is your definition of "quick"?

That tell you how quick?

I am not a mechanic but I like to play one on occasion. With that being said , shop tells me they started pulling and replacing injectors this morning. The first one that came out was carbonned up. Correct me if i'm wrong , but wouldn't this indicate improper cylinder seal not a cracked body ? I would think high presure diesel leaking in a tight space would clean an injector not carbon it up ? So far $1370, plus $1000 for first set of injectors , plus about $4700 for new injectors installed plus new core charge . :doh: dad just wants his truck back .

Just the tip is in the compression area, the rest is in the cup which basically is open to the head.

I agree that the return can flow that kind of fuel.

I also agree to run the truck with the valve cover off and find the leak instead of guessing.

They have been doing that , but told me once bolts were replaced , there were no leaks , then they replaced the return lines ? After a month , I just want it to be done.

They have been doing that , but told me once bolts were replaced , there were no leaks , then they replaced the return lines ? After a month , I just want it to be done.

I would be there on scene when they first fire it up, that way if there is still a leak you yourself know it and it doesn't give them time to find the leak if its still there and charge you for injectors you didnt need.

Get the supposed bad injectors back and have them tested. You probably got ripped by whoever sold them to you.

I won't say where I got them but he is a sponsor on another forum. Seems straight forward to me. Don't think it would happen knowingly , but ??? Waiting to see results of the latest install , but hopefully can return the first set and get my cores back if all goes well.

I won't say where I got them but he is a sponsor on another forum. Seems straight forward to me. Don't think it would happen knowingly , but ??? Waiting to see results of the latest install , but hopefully can return the first set and get my cores back if all goes well.

I'm guessing it is a sponsor on DP, if so there has been quite a few complaints about there injectors here lately.

Back